Foul Odor From The AC Vents

Ric

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I smell this musty odor coming from the AC vents sometimes, but not constantly. It doesn't really smell like burning oil like I would expect if there was a VC leak...it's more like a dead rat in the duct. I'm not positive, but it could get worse when I beat on it, but the smell lingers when I'm driving more sanely, so it's kinda hard to tell when it starts and stops. Anyone?

I'm thinking a coolant leak from the heater core.

Is it a sickly sweet type of smell, if so then I would say coolant just starting to leak from the heater core.

could it be an exhaust leak getting into the cabin?

have you checked the brakes recently if one front caliper is dragging on pad, it could be overheating and the stink is getting in the car.

do you have kids?

some more details would help

Or it could be years of odor accumulation in the evap and case. If you can find someone in your area who sells BG products, they have a spray can of stuff called "FrigiFresh". I've used it...and it's amazing. You find a way into the evap case either through a fan resistor spot or similar and spray it all around in there. Odor goes away.

2001LS8Sport said:
Or it could be years of odor accumulation in the evap and case. If you can find someone in your area who sells BG products, they have a spray can of stuff called "FrigiFresh". I've used it...and it's amazing. You find a way into the evap case either through a fan resistor spot or similar and spray it all around in there. Odor goes away.
I think I know the smell Ric is describing, and this is most likely the best solution. Coolant leaks have, as JES said, a very distinct sickly-sweet odor, which is different from the HVAC musty smell.

Members online

No members online now.
Back