foudn out waht the burning smell was when i turn on my heater

Silver LS8

LVC Member
Reaction score
dealer said it was a leaky valve cover.. wonder why my cover would leak soo soon my car has under 50k .. got me kinda worreid i'm already starting to leak anything..doe sany know if this problem could lead into feature problem..i'm already putting this car on the market.. if i can sell it for what i owe .. bye bye.. ORRR could he dealer be hiding the problem bc seems like they always do fix the problem jsut enough so i can get by.. so when my warranty runs out they can reallly hammer me with all these problems.. any info thanks

the problem is as common as the day is long. I would recommend keeping the car because the problmes it does have are well known and are usually something the owner can repair at home plus the grass is not greener on the other side.

I started shopping for new cars recently in a plan to unload mine. I statred with a list and visited forums similar to this one and took some time to read what was going on with them. I quickly learned what I already knew. Stick with what I know becasue I know what to expect from it.

The big difference here is seems to be the LS owners are more knowledgable of their cars and show more interst in solving things own their own and showing others how they did it.

good grief I was typing this my wife emails me about one of the vehicles. As mucha s it pains me to keep it I fear buying another vehicle.

eL eS said:
good grief I was typing this my wife emails me about one of the vehicles. As mucha s it pains me to keep it I fear buying another vehicle.

I hear you...I love my LS, but it's starting to give me some hassles and dip into my pocket.

A few weeks back, I noticed a slight burning smell as well. Soon there after, I had some stuttering and hesitation upon acceleration. Do you think they are connected? Will a leaking valve gasket cause an occasional misfire?

I brought it to Lincoln, they ran the codes and updated the PCM? All that after I told them I suspected a misfire. Now, it's doing the same thing again and I am $100 poorer.

Yea...I think my valve cover gasket page should just come up when you enter this forum. :)

I was looking at other cars for my wife, but it seems that most cars have similar problems. I could swear that cars have gone down hill since 1999. They just got too complicated. Then again, my seat broke on my '95 Mustang today. Too many 400 ft/lb torque 2nd gear shifts, I guess. :) :) The good thing was, it was just a .17 cent part to fix (bolt). Glad it broke in the driveway instead of on the road. That could have been bad. The thing just reclined all the way back.

All cars have problems. I guess it is better to have to fix a car I like, then one I don't.

plowman said:
A few weeks back, I noticed a slight burning smell as well. Soon there after, I had some stuttering and hesitation upon acceleration. Do you think they are connected? Will a leaking valve gasket cause an occasional misfire?

Yes, a leaky valve cover gasket will usually allow oil to soak the COPs, which are more expensive (each) than a set of gaskets. A oil-soaked COP will eventually lead to misfires. Prevention is the best cure, get those gaskets fixed.

Members online

No members online now.
Back