Ford to stop selling most cars in North America

Joeychgo

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
gettyimages-494577517.jpg

Ford today announced it will phase out most cars it sells in North America. According to its latest financial release, the auto giant “will transition to two vehicles” — the Mustang and an unannounced vehicle, the Focus Active, being the only traditional cars it sells in the region. Ford sees 90 percent of its North America portfolio in trucks, utilities and commercial vehicles. Citing a reduction in consumer demand and product profitability, Ford is in turn not investing in the next generation of sedans. The Taurus is no more.

The press release also talks about a new type of vehicle, though it sounds like a crossover. This so-called white space vehicle will “combine the best attributes of cars and utilities, such as higher ride height, space and versatility.”

It’s likely Lincoln’s sedans will also disappear, though this was not explicitly stated in today’s press release. Lincoln currently sells the mid-size MKZ and full-size Continental — both share platforms with Ford counterparts. If Ford is phasing out development of sedan platforms, Lincoln will likely suffer, too.

Ford to stop selling every car in North America but the Mustang and Focus Active

They already stopped making any cars that I would want to buy several years ago.

They already stopped making any cars that I would want to buy several years ago.
Most who see this topic, and even more who comment on it seem to try to be confusing 'cars' with 'vehicles'. Ford (and GM) are dropping their models in the areas where there is massive clutter and small profit margin and focusing on the areas where there is significant market and their vehicles, in the case of Ford, are stand-outs. Note the F-150 as an example. (I kinda like the look of the Lincoln Navigator, as well.)

KS

Oh, I understand that they are still making SUVs and trucks. I can't think of any car that they currently make that I would want. The mustang is the only one that I really even recognize and something distinct from the crowd.

Henry Ford would be very unhappy today. First they lose the Black car market by killing the Town Car. They lose the cop / taxi market by losing the Crown Vic. Now even Hertz will have nothing to rent from them. Lincoln's product line has been lame since the Mark 8 left. The Continental is now in limbo with this move. GM may follow this move.

Cops havnt been buying crown vics in years. They do SUV now. Livery is also doing more SUV, but those that dont will have a continental fleet model - strange Idea to try to save this poor performer. Ford 'cars' will be sold as Lincoln, and I hope that means they will infuse it with freshness and stop the Jap knock off mentality.

But hey, if I had money right now I will be honest. I would buy a jag. Maybe the future will sway me different.

Cops havnt been buying crown vics in years. ...

This is largely because they couldn't. You do know that the last Crown Vic (last panther) was sold in 2012, six years ago. (Normal sales stopped in 2008, but fleet sales to the police continued till 2012.)
Probably, there would still be a lot of police use if they could still get them, mainly because they were low cost to buy and to maintain.

When I was a lot younger, it was cars, girls, cars, girls, etc. Now, cars have been replaced by smartphones, social media, games, etc.

There are some youngsters who still like cars. My nephew in Fla is a car nut, but, I think he's in the minority. His favorite old car brand is VW.

Can't wait to see the self drive cars on the 1/4 mile!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back