Ford Scanner To Program Remotes?

All2kool

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
After getting a few quotes from locksmiths to cut and then program a single key (that I already have) and two new remotes (that I already have), I am half tempted to just buy a scanner. What scanner is needed?

My car came with a single key (and no remotes) so I can't program the key myself. And of course, only Ford would require a trip to the dealer to get a remote programmed.

After getting a few quotes from locksmiths to cut and then program a single key (that I already have) and two new remotes (that I already have), I am half tempted to just buy a scanner. What scanner is needed?

Mt car came with a single key (and no remotes) so I can't program the key myself. And of course, only Ford would require a trip to the dealer to get a remote programmed.

Buy the keys from eBay. Have Lowe's cut them. take them to the dealer and pay the hour's labour to program everything. MUCH less expensive than the thousands Ford WDS tool.

I have a $400 tool that will program keys, but I don't know if it does remotes (I have gen II, so that hasn't come up for me.)

I saw a Ford WDS booting up on YouTube - it was running Windows 98! It's a shame we just can't buy a Cable and the Software and use our laptop.

I found a locksmith who will cut the new key I have and program it and the two new remotes for $48.75. And I won't have to drink bad waiting room coffee and wait 2 hours for the dealer to do it!

the WDS is not even relevant today.
my laptop can do remotes and PATS on a gen 1 with a $20 bluetooth adapter.
no need for a $400 tool.

From the locksmith: The 2002 Lincoln LS requires the NGS tester or Ford VCM II with IDS. I have both. I can also program it with the Silca TKO and the Advanced diagnostics AD100.

the WDS is not even relevant today.
my laptop can do remotes and PATS on a gen 1 with a $20 bluetooth adapter.
no need for a $400 tool.

I have a laptop - what do I need and where can I buy it?

I have two working keys and two working remotes!

I cannot believe the price ranges these locksmiths quoted me. Highest was almost $200 to cut a key (that I already had) and program it and two remotes (that I already had). Found a local locksmith who did it all for $48.75. If you need this done and you're within 100 miles of Portland (OR), I suggest you make the trip to AMAX Security on Barbour Blvd.

I had asked the tech to also disable the Easy In/Out feature as I find this to be quite annoying. And of course, much unnecessary wear on the seat motor. He didn't see it in the list of options so I did the next best thing - I pulled the #21 fuse from the rear fuse panel. Of course, I had the seat where I wanted it and as I am the only driver, this won't be an issue. I can live with the steering wheel still moving about.

I recommend that you get a third key cut and then program it in yourself. That way, if you ever lose or break a key, you will still have two working keys, and with two working keys you can add another yourself, no tools required.

As for the high prices, it could always be worse. Keys for the BMW E46 are about $200. You can only get them from BMW, because only they have how ever many of the ten original chips that were made for your specific car. After those ten are consumed, it thousands because the security module and all remaining keys have to be replaced. (I think that the newer BMWs are more like the LS in that any key can be added.)

I recommend that you get a third key cut and then program it in yourself. That way, if you ever lose or break a key, you will still have two working keys, and with two working keys you can add another yourself, no tools required.

As for the high prices, it could always be worse. Keys for the BMW E46 are about $200. You can only get them from BMW, because only they have how ever many of the ten original chips that were made for your specific car. After those ten are consumed, it thousands because the security module and all remaining keys have to be replaced. (I think that the newer BMWs are more like the LS in that any key can be added.)

I will get another key for certain. I have three keys for the Town Car and as it has a Door Keypad, I keep one hidden in the trunk. When I had the locksmith program my LS remotes, I took one of three remotes I have for the Town Car. Now here is the really cool part - that remote works on either car - at night, I can lock both cars with one remote.

When I needed another key for my E34, the dealer had to order one from Germany. Took a week or so and cost me about $90 as I recall. That was about 8-9 years ago.

a laptop with bluetooth, and the FORScan program.

This is the second time I've seen Forscan mentioned in my life, with both occurring within a week of each other. Last time, Sid said it was an Android app. It's apparently Android, iOS, and Windows compatible and the Windows version is free. Like you said though, it's in beta (and has been for 3 years). I think it's time to download and start playing with it...

I'm not sure how Forscan operates, but there are USB versions of the OBDII dongles that should perform the same way if your computer doesn't have bluetooth

hmm can i use forscan to program a blank ford chip key for a genii even though i only have one key for my ls? i know dealer can do this for $100ish...

hmm can i use forscan to program a blank ford chip key for a genii even though i only have one key for my ls? i know dealer can do this for $100ish...

A locksmith can do it for less than the dealer and you won't have to wait or leave the car with them. It does take ten minutes for the security system to accept the new key. Do a Google search and send out a few inquiries to locksmiths in your area.

yep ive looked into local locksmiths.. all are priced the same or more than my dealers <i have discounts at a few dealers on everything, but its still been more than i want to spend on a key i technically dont even need, not to mention the issue i have with handing someone $50-100 for something that should cost $3, if that>. im interested in forscan and if i can do a key with it i would probably start messing w it...

Enlighten me - the $8 key I got from EBay has been cut & programmed and works fine. Now I have two working keys. I see keys on EBay for as little as $7 and as high as $63 - which just has me curious why anyone would pay $63 for a key?

What I don't know is whether the one key I had to begin with was programmed in or if it was cloned. It's clearly not an OEM key. Will attempting to program a third key render all keys useless if one of the two I have is a clone? Or will the programming not even begin if you don't have two programmed keys? I know one is programmed in - I saw the locksmith do it.

The light bulb just went off - even if the key I had to begin with was a cloned key, it wasn't cloned from the key I saw the locksmith program. This means I have two programmed keys that are different from each other.

Yes you can. You can also delete all other keys ( good if you buy a used car). You can also read the "pid" in the DDM(drivers door module) to get the factory key pad code.

Enlighten me - the $8 key I got from EBay has been cut & programmed and works fine. Now I have two working keys. I see keys on EBay for as little as $7 and as high as $63 - which just has me curious why anyone would pay $63 for a key?
because they are silly? My dealer only charger $45 for a key, why anybody would pay more than that...

What I don't know is whether the one key I had to begin with was programmed in or if it was cloned.
doesn't matter, the car cant tell that it is cloned. the car will just think the cloned key and the key that it was cloned from are the same key.

It's clearly not an OEM key.
wont matter, as long as your new key was programmed in and not cloned

Will attempting to program a third key render all keys useless if one of the two I have is a clone? Or will the programming not even begin if you don't have two programmed keys?
no, it just wont enter programming mode if it doesn't see two different "learned" keys.

I know one is programmed in - I saw the locksmith do it.
then it should be good to go.

The light bulb just went off - even if the key I had to begin with was a cloned key, it wasn't cloned from the key I saw the locksmith program. This means I have two programmed keys that are different from each other.
precisely this.

Yes you can. You can also delete all other keys ( good if you buy a used car). You can also read the "pid" in the DDM(drivers door module) to get the factory key pad code.

awesome.. i will be gettin this soon then. do yall recommend android app or pc program? or both??
thanks

ps. maybe this thread will help some of yall 'vets' see why its so dumb to run off the new ppl...

You can also read the "pid" in the DDM(drivers door module) to get the factory key pad code.

I tried with both my phone (Forscan lite demo) and computer (Forscan for windows) on my 97 Taurus and 03 Taurus. Unfortunately, it didn't pull the right code for either. The 03 gave a 5-digit code that didn't work, though the scanner *did* tell me each button worked and displayed whichever I pressed. The 97 came up with a 4-digit code which was obviously wrong based on number of digits. I know the actual master code already for that car.

Also, the Windows version installed in Romanian, despite picking English twice. It turns out Romanian isn't that far from English if you know what it's talking about. I'll post to Forscan's forum area to find more help with my issues though.

I have yet to try anything in the LS.

BUT. It's a very interesting program. $5 is well worth the investment in the Android app (I already have OBDII BT devices) just to read ABS codes, ABS sensor readings, all kinds of statuses and signals in the OBDII, PATS, REM, EATC, ABS, PCM, PATS, and GEM modules in my Ford fleet. This goes above and beyond even Torque Pro when it comes to diagnosing problems beyond CELs and some OBDII-related sensor outputs.

Members online

No members online now.
Back