Ford Recall!

oandtmaster

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
hey, those cars look familiar....
http://autos.aol.com/article/ford-switch-fire-recall?icid=main|main|dl4|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fautos.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fford-switch-fire-recall
but i think its just windstars, rangers, and explorers. something to do with a cruise control switch. just thought the picture was cool

I just received a letter form Ford two days ago on the recall for my Explorer. The letter states that the cruise control circuits can catch fire whether or not the vehicle is running.

I'll have to take it in.

I'm thinking this might be why my cousins truck burnt up a few months ago... here are some pics.
nickstruck1.gif

nickstruck2.gif

nickstruck3.gif

nickstruck4.gif

Ford has had a hell of a lot of trouble with these switches. First, the original switches were bad (thanks a lot, Texas Instruments!), then the replacements were bad (thanks again!), now more of them are bad. Ford is recommending that any affected cars be parked outside, away from buildings, until your dealer has replacement switches to perform the recall repair...

Car fires are amazing. Once they get started there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

the replacement switches are good, it was the first batches of the fused jumper harness, they fused the wrong side.......

the way it works is if your switch is leaking they replace the switch and connector, if its not leaking you get a fused jumper harness

the replacement switches are good, it was the first batches of the fused jumper harness, they fused the wrong side.......

the way it works is if your switch is leaking they replace the switch and connector, if its not leaking you get a fused jumper harness

completely unrelated to this but you got the speedstars????? congrats!

FWIW, this is supposed to be the end of the recalls for this problem. From AutoWeek:
Ford Motor Co.'s new recall of vehicles that pose potential fire hazards will be its last because the latest action covers all remaining cars and trucks with cruise-control switches made by Texas Instruments, even if those switches don't pose safety risks, a Ford spokesman said today.
-- http://www.autoweek.com/article/20091014/CARNEWS/910149988

this has been going on for 5+ years. chickenviii is pretty much correct though. the first batch had one fuse and the second current batch has two fuses. the only way the switch is replaced is if it is leaking internally at the connections. external leaks due to corrosion arent covered they just put the ufjh on. reason why they have continued to release more and more over the years is to manage the demand for parts and vehicles. in all honesty you'll have better odds winning off a lottery ticket than a vehicle burning up but its seriously a five minute repair. well unless you have a mark viii within the production years listed for the campaign its a pita and will take easily an hour otherwise there's nothing to worry about. the ls doesnt use that switch system.

there's a chance that could be it. bring it in to a f/l/m dealer and get it done, you could get your cruise control back working for free!

this has been going on for 5+ years. chickenviii is pretty much correct though. the first batch had one fuse and the second current batch has two fuses. the only way the switch is replaced is if it is leaking internally at the connections. external leaks due to corrosion arent covered they just put the ufjh on. reason why they have continued to release more and more over the years is to manage the demand for parts and vehicles. in all honesty you'll have better odds winning off a lottery ticket than a vehicle burning up but its seriously a five minute repair. well unless you have a mark viii within the production years listed for the campaign its a pita and will take easily an hour otherwise there's nothing to worry about. the ls doesnt use that switch system.

pretty much correct? ive been doing this recall since it started, just bustin your balls! lol

and the markviii isnt an hour procedure, the 93's are interesting to find but not hard to do and all the other markviii's are easy and quick.

yeah i've been a service advisor and tech for ford for 6 years now. didnt realize you were a tech yourself. its all good man.

i said an hour because the ones that require unbolting the steering column shaft piece can realistically take up to an hour depending on how familiar the tech thats working on it is with those vehicles and how much of a pain it is getting it apart is all. the other ones located in the wheelwell aren't bad just dumb that you have to get the vehicle up in the air and take wheel off to get to it is all.

Members online

Back