For All Who Plan To Buy A Vehicle In Texas

GMAN

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Effective Oct 1, The way you buy a vehicle has changed in Texas. Please read below which was taken from KHOU in Houston.....

New car sales tax may cause sticker shock

05:54 PM CDT on Friday, September 29, 2006

By Lee McGuire / 11 News

Click to watch video

Buying a used car anytime soon? Better hurry before some sticker shock strikes this weekend.

M_IMAGE.10dcf9c674e.93.88.fa.d0.2c247cfd.jpg

Scott Been is pricing his car to move. "Three-thousand below blue book," he said. While that's a good deal now, come Sunday morning it won't be quite so attractive. "Get some sticker shock, no question, about it on how much this transfer is going to be worth," said Paul Bettencourt with Harris Co. Tax Assessor. The Harris County Tax office is bracing for some complaints next week -- when car buyers find out the state is changing the way it collects taxes on used car sales.

Under the old system, buyers would pay a 6.25% tax on whatever they say they paid for the car.

Also online
State Web site explains changes
In the new system -- which takes effect Oct. 1 -- buyers will pay a 6.25% tax on what the state says the car is worth -- no less than 80 percent of a value TxDOT sets for that make and model.

"There's no question that people will be paying more on this tax," said Bettencourt.

This law does not affect people giving cars to charities or giving cars as a gift. It only affects private sellers selling to regular people. Still, some of those private sellers don't like the idea."

"Who would actually like it? I mean it's ridiculous to be honest with you," complained Been.

The state made the tax changes to crack down on dishonest buyers.

"To be honest I think they are theives," said Been.

Been says it hurts people who buy a car that's priced to sell.

The state has set up a Web site to help people get a sense what the taxable value of their used car might be.

The really sad part is...............

GMAN said:
Effective Oct 1, The way you buy a vehicle has changed in Texas. Please read below which was taken from KHOU in Houston.....

New car sales tax may cause sticker shock

05:54 PM CDT on Friday, September 29, 2006

By Lee McGuire / 11 News

Click to watch video

Buying a used car anytime soon? Better hurry before some sticker shock strikes this weekend.

M_IMAGE.10dcf9c674e.93.88.fa.d0.2c247cfd.jpg

Scott Been is pricing his car to move. "Three-thousand below blue book," he said. While that's a good deal now, come Sunday morning it won't be quite so attractive. "Get some sticker shock, no question, about it on how much this transfer is going to be worth," said Paul Bettencourt with Harris Co. Tax Assessor. The Harris County Tax office is bracing for some complaints next week -- when car buyers find out the state is changing the way it collects taxes on used car sales.

Under the old system, buyers would pay a 6.25% tax on whatever they say they paid for the car.

Also online
State Web site explains changes
In the new system -- which takes effect Oct. 1 -- buyers will pay a 6.25% tax on what the state says the car is worth -- no less than 80 percent of a value TxDOT sets for that make and model.

"There's no question that people will be paying more on this tax," said Bettencourt.

This law does not affect people giving cars to charities or giving cars as a gift. It only affects private sellers selling to regular people. Still, some of those private sellers don't like the idea."

"Who would actually like it? I mean it's ridiculous to be honest with you," complained Been.

The state made the tax changes to crack down on dishonest buyers.

"To be honest I think they are theives," said Been.

Been says it hurts people who buy a car that's priced to sell.

The state has set up a Web site to help people get a sense what the taxable value of their used car might be.

That someone paid taxes on that car when it was new. Then each and every time the car gets sold, more taxes are paid. Someone once did a study in PA and found that some Luxury cars that have changes hands 8 or 9 times actually had more in taxes paid on them then the original purchasr price of the car. That is really sad.

Same thing here in Washington, only in my county it's 7.8%. However to circumvent this scenario, say you buy a car $2000 and they say you're paying taxes on $5000. Go get estimates for anything that it would take to put it in showroom new condition, and as long as you come up with estimates in excess of the overage, you pay the tax on what you pay for the car. Or whatever you can get away with if you please.

cavemansmarkviii said:
Same thing here in Washington, only in my county it's 7.8%. However to circumvent this scenario, say you buy a car $2000 and they say you're paying taxes on $5000. Go get estimates for anything that it would take to put it in showroom new condition, and as long as you come up with estimates in excess of the overage, you pay the tax on what you pay for the car. Or whatever you can get away with if you please.

That's the way it is here for at least classic vehicles. The DMV wanted me to pay taxes on blue book for a '66 Mustang. I had to get a written statement from the seller that detailed why he was selling it for the claimed amount. I don't remember for sure, but I think I had to get estimates on repairs too.

Big Hassle!

Members online

No members online now.
Back