Fml...

toast9897

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So, went to get the LS registered today. Guess what I found out when I took it to smog check it.

Done guessing? Good. If you answered, "The seller pulled the bulb from the CEL so I wouldn't know it was throwing codes," you are CORRECT!!!

So, I failed due to
1. No functioning CEL
2. Running lean bank 1.
3. Running lean bank 2.

WTF?!

That sucks. With the bulb out you should have had some beeping when you first started the car. It's a series of 5 beeps in 5 intervals, indicates the CEL is out. Did you have this?

Damn that is f-ed up. Dude, not to bring more bad news to you, someone just posted a clutch for an ls from ebay for 125. Prob too late for yours to be returned since it's on but if I were you I would get me an extra one at that price for the future

That sucks. With the bulb out you should have had some beeping when you first started the car. It's a series of 5 beeps in 5 intervals, indicates the CEL is out. Did you have this?

That applies to the SRS (Airbag) light only. It does not apply to the Check Engine Light. There is, of course, no way not to notice that the CEL was not lighting up while starting the car.

Haven't noticed anything really... wouldn't have recognized it if I did.

Daaamn that's foul

I concur wholeheartedly.

Damn that is f-ed up. Dude, not to bring more bad news to you, someone just posted a clutch for an ls from ebay for 125. Prob too late for yours to be returned since it's on but if I were you I would get me an extra one at that price for the future

Fantastic timing...

That applies to the SRS (Airbag) light only. It does not apply to the Check Engine Light. There is, of course, no way not to notice that the CEL was not lighting up while starting the car.

I should have noticed that it didn't light up upon starting the car, but I guess this is what I get for trusting people.

Oh, yeah... noticed one of the radiator mounts is busted. I think I might try to set the record for fastest in and out of the LS game lol

so, went to get the ls registered today. Guess what i found out when i took it to smog check it.

Done guessing? Good. If you answered, "the seller pulled the bulb from the cel so i wouldn't know it was throwing codes," you are correct!!!

So, i failed due to
1. No functioning cel
2. Running lean bank 1.
3. Running lean bank 2.

Wtf?!

omg

You know joe.... I knew that. Doh. :slam

Lawsuit

If a vehicle was bought when the seller made a blantant attempt to deceive the buyer into buying the car - you have a case. Proving it will be difficult, but not impossible with your particular situation -- that's some serious foul play.

On that note, I'm guessing the car was bought out of state. Which makes matters worse.

Also, you'll probably spend more in attorney's fees than you want to. Regardless, I'd call an attorney that practices in tort law and see if he can do anything for you. Again, the fact that the car was bought out of state is going to cause some grief. In state would be different, but unfortunately, no dice.

Good luck

No, I bought it in California, and am trying to register it in California.

You know what's cool about the Navy? We have our own lawyers :). FA FREE!

Update

Bought a cheap $60 code reader from autozone.

P0171
P0174

I knew about these already. However, what I didn't know is the one system that scans as "incomplete" is the evap system. I'm feeling really fcuking stupid right now, but what does this tell me in relation to running lean?

Also, if anybody can find it, I need to know what bulb goes in the CEL.

:q:q:q:q. Just broke this piece. May be hard to see in the pics, but the hose in my hand attaches to a little plastic nubby, which is part of a much larger hose assembly. I pulled it off because there was a small coolant leak due to a bad clamp, and while trying to tighten it back up, the nubby disentigrated into little chunks of plastic shrapnel. What the eff...... Can't drive the car now without unintentionally flushing my coolant. Do I need a whole new hose assembly or is there some type of fix i can rig?

Sorry for the bad phone pics.

Coolant3.gif

Coolant2.gif

Coolant-1.gif

I broke the same tube when I was doing my PCV valve. I pluged both ends and removed the hoses. All that's for is heating up the intake to prevent the throttle body from freezing up in extreme cold and sticking, basically preventing you from having a toyota throttle LMAO.

I used a screw and special permitex made for cooling systems. I'll try and find them so I can help you out.

Rape the damn seller I'm in the air force and I use my lawers too for advice so far nothing big like this yet. I hate people who do crap like that and I was born and raised in Cali and hate the damn emission laws.

Ditto on the lawyers and emission laws. I had two brothers in the Navy and have one currently station in Oxnard. (I have 5 brothers all same mother/father)

I broke the same tube when I was doing my PCV valve. I pluged both ends and removed the hoses. All that's for is heating up the intake to prevent the throttle body from freezing up in extreme cold and sticking, basically preventing you from having a toyota throttle LMAO.

I used a screw and special permitex made for cooling systems. I'll try and find them so I can help you out.

I did the same to my first LS, epoxy set a screw into that burp hole in the housing and that was that, no more leaking. I seem to remember running a hose from that area to the degas bottle in order to keep alive the active air purging that seems to be designed into that throttle body heater loop though.

Edit: saw what actually broke on MechanicBoy's fitting and realized that his only option was to have no coolant flow through throttle body to degas bottle. On my car, the black plug broke out of the housing but the hose fitting did not. Sorry for the mix-up.

Go Navy! Good luck with the CELs. Not sure on those codes, but check the presence of all 4 EGO sensors and you may want to check fuel pressure to confirm that your injectors are getting enough fuel delivered.

I knew about these already. However, what I didn't know is the one system that scans as "incomplete" is the evap system. I'm feeling really fcuking stupid right now, but what does this tell me in relation to running lean?

It's not related to any engine problems you have, such as running lean.
It will complete after you've driven enough under the right conditions. It will go back to incomplete if the battery is disconnected again.

There's Three more things I'd like to add. One have you checked you PCV elbo? Two, make sure the hole is dry before you put the screw in and use the permatex on it. You might have to drain a little coolant out. Third, be careful screwing the screw in as the plastic is brittle(duh, it broke right). I screwed mine in in a multi step process. I would screw it in a little bit, then back it out then screw it in a little bit more then back is out and so on until i felt it was in far enough. Then I put some permatex in the hole, on the screw and put the screw in. I spread a little bit around the screw. You should let the permatex set probably overnight to be sure. I left my degas cap off to not put pressure on the permatex and screw the first heat cycle to be safe.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help

I haven't checked the pcv elbow yet cuz I don't wanna pull all that off if I don't have to. Is there any way besides a visual inspection to figure out what exactly is making it lean?

It's not related to any engine problems you have, such as running lean.
It will complete after you've driven enough under the right conditions. It will go back to incomplete if the battery is disconnected again.

What are the right conditions?

Members online

No members online now.
Back