Flooded LS, Any Advice would help!

2005HotRodLincoln

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
This past sunday, here on the Space Coast of Florida we expierenced some heavy rain for a few hours. My 2005 LS V8, 102000 miles was parked on the street. The street has never flooded before, but people had not picked up their newspapers lately and they clogged the street gutters. Cars driving by pushed wakes into my car, you could see the car floating towards a tree every time a car drove by... A-holes. Water got pushed up over the hood at one point. the car has a K&N CAI and the filter was wet when I touched it. In the pictures you can tell how high the water was, pictures were taken from the hghest side above water, the other side was about 2-3" lower. The water was above the exhaust tips and the exhaust was filled with water. after the water receded my brake rotors were instantly corroded, my fear is that water will evaporate into the cylinders from the exhaust or moisture made it into the intake. Motor is not Hydro locked, but my fear is that corrosion will cause the car to smoke later down the road, let alone all of the electrical isues. Once cars stopped driving by, I crawled in thrugh the trunk because it was above water, then crawled in through the rear seat openings. once I was inside I saw about 4" of water in my floorboards. The car was towed to a local shop, where the damage will be assessed. Surprisingly all of the elctronics still worked, the car smelled awful and the drivers seat was soaked. There was also about 2" of water in the trunk spare tire tub the next day when the car was towed. My concern is the problems later on down the road, the LS is allready prone to electrical issues, I didn't need something like this to help it out.

Any thoughts guys? I'd appreciate any Advice or ideas.
Thanks

water 5.jpg

water 4.jpg

water 2.jpg

water 3.jpg

water 1.jpg

Insurance?

If it had as much water in it as you say...it's a flood vehicle now...you can clean and clean but you will have major issues with it from now on.

Sorry to see that.

The sooner you get it running and driving it around the better. Letting it sit is the worse option. I wouldn't worry about the brakes. The first half dozen stops you do and it will be nice and shiny again. Mine actually rust over-night just from the dew.

I would say throw new fluids and filters at it and then get it cleaned really well. Try to park it in the sun with the windows rolled down a little so it can bake out more moisture. After that, it's really just a matter of seeing what pops up.

I would also, open up the fuse covers in under the hood and trunk and get some compressed air in there to blow out all the fuses. You definitely want to act quick.

The sooner you get it running and driving it around the better. Letting it sit is the worse option. I wouldn't worry about the brakes. The first half dozen stops you do and it will be nice and shiny again. Mine actually rust over-night just from the dew.

I would say throw new fluids and filters at it and then get it cleaned really well. Try to park it in the sun with the windows rolled down a little so it can bake out more moisture. After that, it's really just a matter of seeing what pops up.

Actually heat is not best option to remove moisture....using a dehumidifier which is basically an AC unit is best.

That is why the LS uses the AC when you put it on defrost, it removes moisture from the air.

You can try your best, but the smell you could smell was raw sewage. Ask anyone who had a vehicle get that much water in it.....it will take new carpet, seats, and I'm sure the door panels are done for too. Mold has already started in.

Like I said, sorry this happened..but I'm sure insurance will total it.

Sorry to hear, bud. I'm by Daytona and we got rain but not like that. Honestly, you will never be able to resell it after this for the value it was before. From what I understand is you will get a branded title if they decide to fix it.

I love the car like a child, and knowing these cars come with their own problems; I didn't need something to fuel the fire.

NOTE: the car was having electrical issues before the flooding. Clockspring was going out, and from time to time I'd hear the warning message beep and there would be no warning message.

I'm hoping its totaled, even though it will probably still drive fine. Once a car has had 4" of water in the floorboards and halfway up the transmission tunnel in the interior (the water left a mark), to me its ruined and will never be the same.

They should automatically total it. After Katrina here, any car (even those still being driven) that had water to the floor board and above was totaled, if it was reported.

The engine will be fine, no worries about rust there. Just need to drain and replace the oil. The transmission would need to be drained and completely flushed. (It's considered "sealed", but it still has vents.) The brakes will be fine too. The problems will be the electrical/electronics, and all of the interior cloth, pads, and carpet.

..............and from time to time I'd hear the warning message beep and there would be no warning message.

That's the infamous phantom beep. It's nothing more than an extremely short loss of communication between the PCM and transmission.

That's the infamous phantom beep. It's nothing more than an extremely short loss of communication between the PCM and transmission.

Actually, that or a temporary issue with a fuel sender, or a very momentary bulb glitch, or probably several other possibilities. (I've scanned after mystery beeps and had codes for all of those reasons at different times before.)

Actually, that or a temporary issue with a fuel sender, or a very momentary bulb glitch, or probably several other possibilities. (I've scanned after mystery beeps and had codes for all of those reasons at different times before.)

Mine has done it and I was looking right at it the other day and it said check transmission.

I looked under it...it was still there...:D

good luck buddy. careful with the insurance company.. they'll be quick to tag it as a flood car

good luck buddy. careful with the insurance company.. they'll be quick to tag it as a flood car

That's exactly why I want the car totaled. It will be impossible to sell, an LS already has terrible resale. Flooding doesn't make it more appealing. Like I said, I love the car; but for so many reasons, it's ruined to me.

totaled for sure. not worth the headache to buy back. go buy an XF with the $$

The people at the shop say the car is fine just needs cleaning. They say everything is still working, but I think it may work for now but not very long. I mean the drivers seat was completely soaked. What does a new LS seat cost? I fell like the componentds may work for now but give me problems later.

best to find another parts car or salvage yard car and pull all the seats and carpet... if not pull yours out and let them dry in the sun...

The people at the shop say the car is fine just needs cleaning. They say everything is still working, but I think it may work for now but not very long. I mean the drivers seat was completely soaked. What does a new LS seat cost? I fell like the componentds may work for now but give me problems later.

Ford doesn't sell the seat as a complete assembly. If you all all the parts up, it's in the thousands. Just the seat bottom cover (does not include cushion) was about $300 a couple of years ago when I replaced mine. (This doesn't count the hour or two of my labor to do it.)

All that said, you may get lucky and be okay. This is the first that I heard of a car getting that much water and not being totaled.

Can i fight the insurance company on this one? To make sure i do not get the car back?

You can certainly appeal to the insurance company. You can (and should) also get estimates on repairs from a few more shops. Another shop might support you.

As far as actually fighting them, it's not enough money to justify getting a lawyer, and they will count on that.

I agree with Joe. Maybe even get an estimate from the Dealer since that would produce the highest invoice. The invoice would definitely be higher than the value of the car and that alone should be enough to deem it a total loss.

I for one think you are overreacting. The car is 8 years old, what exactly do you expect to get out of totalling it vs. how long you plan on owning it?

Drivers seat is wet, expect it's from wicking action. Carpet I would remove and wash with tide and a hose, then let sit out in the sun for a day or two. Ford is usually pretty smart about not putting connectors low on the floorboard and also using dielectric grease to keep corrosion at bay. Your suspension is fine, maybe your tranny got some water in it. Did you check any fluids before getting it drug away?

Finally, perhaps next time you'll be cognizant of your surroundings and call the city when the drains are covered. It only rains every afternoon in Florida...

...Ford is usually pretty smart about not putting connectors low on the floorboard and also using dielectric grease to keep corrosion at bay. ...

Still, there are several that are that low and below. BTW, the FEM is down at floor level. I think that it's the uncertainty that is bugging the OP. I do agree that they will probably be surprised by how little the insurance payoff would be.

The shop that the car is at says we lucked out and the car didnt have that much water in it. I'm sorry but My dad says if his $48,000 boss 302 were flooded, no matter how low the damage estimate was he would NOT want the car back, even with all the time and money invested. He says i shoudnt take the car back, i just dont know what to do from this point

Members online

Back