Flex XC 3401 VRG The next generation of orbital buffers!!!!

Detailed Image

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Introducing the Flex XC 3401 VRG

As an owner of Detailed Image, I consider myself very fortunate and privileged to be sent products from manufacturers around the world. The volume of products we receive is overwhelming at times, so it’s very difficult for products to really stand out. With that being said I was extremely excited to test the new Flex XC 3401 VRG orbital buffer and it blew me away with its polishing power, ease of use, functionality, design and best of all, RESULTS!

FX-3401-M.gif
FX-3401-1.gif

Flex Power Tools was founded in Germany in 1922 and we are very proud to be one of the first companies in the US to stock their buffers. Orbital buffers are generally very easy and safe to use, but they have limited cutting power when polishing to correct imperfections. Previously if you wanted more cutting power you needed to use a rotary buffer but these buffers can easily burn right through the clear coat and they take a long time to master. The Flex XC 3401 VRG combines the best of both worlds to give you the perfect balance of strong cutting power and safe buffing. With this buffer you’ll be able to get a near flawless finish when polishing and still apply your favorite sealant or wax with ease.

My first impressions of the buffer

The buffer feels relatively light and very solid as any good buffer should. It’s listed as weighing 5.75lbs which is exactly the same as the PC. I'm extremely pleased with the location of the two grips, primarily the top one. My right hand is placed low, near the trigger and my left hand is above the pad (approximately 3.5 inches) so your hands are at 6 and 12. With the PC (no handle) and rotary buffers I typically have my hands in a similar but slightly different position. My right hand is typically towards the bottom of the buffer and my left hand is typically positioned directly on top of the spindle applying downward force. This leaves my hands at 6 and 12 but I'm far more likely to exert pressure more towards the bottom of the buffer. With the Flex design your hands are more evenly spaced out above and below the spindle so you are more likely to exert even pressure across the pad.

Using the Flex XC 3401 VRG

The buffer sounds about as loud as the PC, with less rattling. It feels far more powerful than the PC and almost impossible to bog down. When moving from speed 1 to 6 (min - max) it doesn't increase in volume to the extent the PC does. I found it relatively easy to handle and move smoothly around the surface. It's slightly more challenging to use around trim, but manageable with a little care. I started off with the Power Gloss and a 6.5" Yellow Cutting Pad. I set the speed to 6 but I held the trigger down lightly to help me spread the product first, then I clenched the trigger tight for full power and locked it in. It worked the polish in so well that I stopped after four passes with the Flex because of how clear the polish looked. Typically with a PC I would have applied more pressure and done 6 - 10 passes to get the polish to look that thin and clear. The Flex easily delivered more cutting power in less time, I was thoroughly impressed. After removing the left over polish I was impressed at how well it removed the imperfections with minimal hazing. While on speed 6 it has a slight tendency to want to take off on you, like a rotary buffer, but not nearly to the same extent. When you position the buffer right and adjust your stance you can control it with ease. To watch our video of the Flex buffer in action please visit the Detailed Image Flex XC3401 VRG product page and scroll down to the end of the description. The video documents the ease of use and strong cutting power from just four passes over a small area.

Flex XC 3401 vs. Porter Cable 7424

The Flex XC3401 VRG and Porter Cable 7424 have some similarities and differences that are outlined below. Both buffers move in a random orbit or oscillating motion, designed to replicate a hand buffing motion. They are both approximately 5.75lbs and use a six inch Velcro backing plate. The Porter Cable 7424 requires you to purchase an aftermarket backing plate while the Flex buffer comes with a built in 6” Velcro backing plate. Both buffers are typically used with 6.5 inch pads while they can use most Velcro pads over 6 inches. This means that most pads used with the Porter Cable 7424 will be compatible with the Flex buffer. The Porter Cable 7424 has a speed dial that is the only means of adjusting the speed. The Flex buffer has a speed dial which sets the maximum speed you can reach with the variable speed trigger. Hold the trigger down lightly and it will operate at low OPMs and squeeze it tightly to reach the maximum OPMs relative to what speed you have the dial on. If you wan the buffer to operate at the maximum OPMs, relative to what you set the speed dial to, you can lock in the trigger so you don’t have to continuously hold it. The Flex XC 3401 VRG has over 60% more power than the Porter Cable 7424 (9,600 OPMs vs. 6,000 OPMs). This allows the Flex buffer to give you more cutting power to remove deeper imperfections. The additional power will help ensure your buffer will not bog down under moderate to heavy pressure. Both buffers have a detachable handle, but the Flex buffers handle is positioned directly over the buffer as opposed to on the side. The design of the buffer puts your hands at 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock, so your hands are equidistant from the middle of the buffer, which helps you evenly distribute pressure. The even distribution of pressure really helps you work in the polish and get optimal results. Compare the specifications of the Flex, Porter Cable and UDM below:

Comparing Buffers

Flex XC 3401 VRG - $264.99

Power input 900 Watts (7.5 amps)

Power output 590 Watts

Rotary RPM: 160-480

Orbital OPM: 3200-9600

Recommended pad size 6.5"

Velcro back plate (included)

Weight 5.75 lbs

Porter Cable 7424 - $109.99

Motor Amps 3.7

OPM 2,500-6,000

Recommended pad size 6.5"

6" Velcro back plate (+$19.99)

Weight 5.75 lbs.

Ultimate Detailing Machine 7424 - $150

Motor Amps 4.2

OPM 2,500-6,000

Pad size 6"

Velcro back plate (4.75” included)

From left to right Makita 9227C Rotary, Flex XC 3401 VRG, Porter Cable 7424

Compare2.jpg

Compare3.jpg

Additional Features

The Flex buffer also comes with many other technological advancements that make it one of the premier buffers on the market. Flex uses seven-fold microprocessor electronics: with consistent speed control by tachometer generator, soft start, accelerator trigger switch, restart protection after power interruption, overload protection, temperature monitoring, and speed selection. The oscillating motion moves the buffer precisely 8mm during one orbit. The handle is removable and easy to hold so you can detail for hours with no problems. Quality shut-off carbon brushes: if the carbon brushes wear down, the motor will be automatically switched off and thus protected from damage. There is spindle lock to prevent damage as well. It also comes with a 13 foot power cord and the Flex red plug. The Flex buffers come with a one year warranty and service centers across the US and Europe. This helps ensure that you’ll be using this high quality buffer for years to come.

The best deals on the Flex XC 3401 VRG

Right now Detailed Image is proud to offer two outstanding deals on the Flex XC 3401 buffer. Detailed Image is selling the Flex buffer for $264.99. We are also offering members of Detail University a special offer where you get the Flex buffer and your choice of the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish or the Menzerna PO106FF for just $299.99! Check Detail University to view more details on this offer, what others have to say and a Flex XC3401VRG vs. PC 7424 comparison.

The review explains how we were able to go from this:

Flex2.jpg

To this:

Flex12.jpg

We are very excited about the Flex and the impact it will have on the detailing community. We believe that this buffer will help detailers achieve results that could only be achieved with a rotary buffer, but much safer and easier to use.

Thanks for reading!

Greg @ Detailed Image

Members online

No members online now.
Back