Flex Plate cracked or maybe housing?

bschooled

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone here has ever had any issues with the flexplate on any of these cars?

Recently my car started rattling alot underneath the car near the transmission. I put it up on ramps, got underneath it, it definitely is making the most noise at the flexplate housing. The noise changes with engine RPM's, its worst between idle and 1500 rpms.

I use SST a lot and tend to downshift a lot (due to the hills here) and you can definitely here it engine braking.

As soon as I get more time I will get underneath it again.

Thanks joegr. I didn't consider it being torque converter ... I certainly hope it isn't, there are no drive-ability issues.

As far as torque converters go, my drivers side cat converter kind of combusted itself apart and into my muffler a while ago (muffler was replaced), I had a shop clean out what was left. So it's empty, but I suppose it's possible the passenger one is going as well.

But the sound is so specific from that spot, it's not even hard to pinpoint, it sounds like its coming directly from the flex plate.

Alright, thanks for that. It's either cat converter or probably torque converter from sounds of it. I will have to get under it again, I will probably post a video of the sound its quite noticeable.

As far as flex plate, I have seen trucks crack a flex plate ... when they are old, and are pulling tons of weight or crawling rocks, but if I can crack only pushing ~250 hp in a 3800 lb vehicle at 130k then they really screwed the pooch with this car.

FWIW, a damaged torque converter can easily destroy an engine. If it starts to fail such that it balloons, then it puts too much pressure on the crank, wipes out the thrust bearing, and it's all downhill from there.

Yeah it's pretty bad, thing is it has done it for a while, but it was never this loud until recently. Makes me think it probably is going to f' up pretty soon.

Ughhh, guess its time to get the Land Rover running again, and a $4 a gallon that's not a fun prospect.

Members online

No members online now.
Back