Fixing Front Seats.

Gagurass

LVC Member
Reaction score
So interesting tidbit when I bought my 2005 LS Ultimate the car reeked of black and milds and among the common coil problems was the not so common seat problems(Google is proving useless). Im guessing the previous owner was a heavy set fellow who loved to cruise while chainsmoking some flavored cigars, and the smell has finally left the car but the damn seats are driving me nuts.

The backrest of the drivers seat seems to have come off whatever was holding it into place on the right side. I manage by leaning the seat all the way forward and putting my weight on the left side as I lean it back again and this works to an extent; However any slightly spirited driving or even just simply trying to relax in my seat ruins this and the damn side falls back again.

The less important issue is my passenger seat only the right side goes up as I move the seat forward. The left side seems to be stuck or something.

Any links or advice on how to start fixing this is greatly appreciated. Hopefully I don’t need a new seat.

The passenger seat could be a mechanical or an electrical problem. You'll just have to tear into it to figure it out.

The driver's seat back problem is not as uncommon as one would like. The service manual says that it can't be repaired, only replaced. That may not be strictly true, but it is in a practical sense. If you have a local pick-n-pull junkyard, you can probably get the whole seat for less than $50. The color doesn't have to match. You can swap the whole bottom seat cushion assembly, and swap the seat back cover.

Everything is plug and play from any year? My seats arent heated or cooled so I’ll avoid those...roof airbag? My seat had one of those?

Thank you for the help guys.

Gen 1 to Gen 1... 1999-2002, and Gen 2 to Gen 2... 2003-2006. Some stuff will cross Gens ... But to be safe stick with the Gen you own.

Everything is plug and play from any year? My seats arent heated or cooled so I’ll avoid those...roof airbag? My seat had one of those?

Thank you for the help guys.

I would stick to 2004 to 2006 seats, since 2003 was a transition year.
If you have curtain airbags in your roof then you need to get a seat from an LS that also had curtain airbags. Same if you don't have curtain airbags, seat needs to come from an LS that also doesn't have them. Alternately, if you are comfortable with swapping the seat side air bags, you could do that instead of worrying about which one the donor car had. All the seats have side airbags in them, but they are different if you have curtain airbags.

Don't worry if the donor car had heated/cooled seats. You can remove those parts and use your seat cushions and covers.

If you have memory seats, then the donor needs memory seats too. If you don't have memory, but the donor does, that's still okay. Just swap your seat module and harness in. The disconnected position sensors won't hurt anything.

Members online

Back