first time brake job on my 02 LS

DarkMansLSEV8

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
ok guys, last time i did the brakes on my 97 LSC I took off the bleeder valve and had a hard time gettting my brakes to work properly. Now can you guys give me instructions on how to do my front brakes on my ls so that i dont run into any problems. I like to do my work b/c i dont trust any mechanics. I know i need a c-clamp, but what size to i buy? also the front pistons are just push ins right? Thanks for the help

The front is so easy, its the rear thats a bitch! I just did mine Saturday, ran into a huge problem with my piston not going in all the way, worked the boot out of place and got so much air in the line they didn't work at all. I also had my left rear rotor and caliper stuck in place.

I had someone inspect the rear and thank god it just needed to be bled but then I said the hell with it, I'm out of state visiting family so I cant deal with this crap and I just had the front done while they inspected the rear and bled the lines. I know exactly what you are talking about cause after paying 70 bucks in labor for the front they put my drilled and slotted rotors on the wrong sides.

All you do with the front is remove the bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket. If yo feel the need to inspect everything like some do you should remove the bracket also. Its just 2 more bolts, then compress the piston with a small sized clamp. Any size should work as long as its not very small.

You should know the rest, add all the goos like the grease to all moving parts and the CRC disk brake quiet to the backs of the pads and you should be set as long as your rotors are OK.

Even the guys at the shop that took over for me used the same CRC stuff.

If you are just changing your brake pads, their all easy to change. For the front a c-clamp and the rear requires a special tool that can be borrowed from pep boys. You should also open the brake fluid cap.

I changed front (all normal in this car) without having to bleed brakes. If you go to do the rears get the tool FIRST (like I should have).

Yes I forgot about opening the brake fluid container. Also, if you dont feel the brakes have been abused you dont need to bleed them but if you feel the lines may have been exposed to heat from the friction of pad abuse then it should be done.

Members online

No members online now.
Back