First post...97 with goofy wipers and windows.

97Conti

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello Board!
I just bought a 97 conti with a couple hiccups.

1.The drivers side window seems to have an occasional fault (ground?) cuz sometimes it simply doesn't respond to the switch.

2.Also, the wipers usually don't work in intermittent mode. The linkage sounds harsh when they kick in. Often they will stop in full up position.

3.The tranny seems to do a down shift after about 30 seconds at a traffic light. I can feel a slight bump under body.

4.Rear end bumping over rough roads which I think is the rubber shock mounts.

Ideas/Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

PS...after a summer of the harsh corvette suspension I am enjoying the smooth Lincoln ride! I LOVE this car!

1. Is it just the drivers window? Is the drivers window an auto down? It may be a ground, but also could be the window controller or wiring.

2. The wiper issue may be the same as the towncar. The towncar does the same thing. Check the tech section under towncar for the wipers. You may be able to change the clutch but you also may have to change the motor. Either way, easy fix.

3. When the last time you had the tranny fluid changed?? My buddys probe stalls out from that downshift at a light. Take a look at the fluid and see how it looks. how dark?

4. Make sure the spare tire is tightened down. Mine was making some wierd noises. If it is shock, check to see that it is connected next time your under the car. Seee what is loose back there. Make sure you check the stabalizer links.

Last edited:
1. Is it just the drivers window? Is the drivers window an auto down? It may be a ground, but also could be the window controller or wiring.

It is the driver's door window. Since I disabled the express-down function it hasn't failed. Where would a likely ground point be?

2. The wiper issue may be the same as the towncar. The towncar does the same thing. Check the tech section under towncar for the wipers. You may be able to change the clutch but you also may have to change the motor. Either way, easy fix.

I will go try to find the tech section ...

3. When the last time you had the tranny fluid changed?? My buddys probe stalls out from that downshift at a light. Take a look at the fluid and see how it looks. how dark?

Since I just bought the car I have no idea when the fluid was last changed so I am gonna have it done tonight with a new filter. When it slipped, I checked it and it was very low on the stick. I noticed it was quite dark. After adding a 1/3 of a quart it hasn't slipped...but it still does the "downshift" 30 seconds after coming to a stop

4. Make sure the spare tire is tightened down. Mine was making some wierd noises. If it is shock, check to see that it is connected next time your under the car. Seee what is loose back there. Make sure you check the stabalizer links.

I checked the spare and lug wrench..all tight. Rear fascia needed a bolt but that didn't solve it. I have had it on a hoist and in fact replaced ball joints and brakes. The mech couldn't find anything loose though...that is why I suspect it is shock mounts.

The windows could be grounded at the kick but you can catch the ground at the switch. You can tap it where it comes out of the boot and ground it, but im thinking other issues. there is circuit breaker built into the motor, and built into the auto down system. The window motor plug, or door boot plug could have a bad connection. Poor connectected wiring, all kinds off stuff. Its those intermittent things that are a little tough to troubleshoot.

forgot about the rest.

2. Sorry wrong tech section. There is an article at www.lincolntowncar.org in the repair section. But at the moment the website is down.

3. If you get a chance see if there are any codes to pull on teh tranny. Just as a precautionary measure.

4. If there is nothing loose, that sounds about right, but check the cheapest avenues first.

Members online

Back