First oil change since I've owned her!

Shredicus

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well I bought my LS about 2000 miles ago and even though nothing was glaringly wrong other than the cracked degas tank and the leaky VCG that got fixed at the dealer a couple weeks ago I've been on a maintenance spree. First ran some seafoam through the gas and changed the fuel filter, then replaced most of the cooling system components/serpentine belt and filled her up with some fresh motorcraft gold coolant, after that replaced all the coils and plugs with visteon/NGK plats, and yesterday was her first full synthetic oil change.

Ran some seafoam through a vacuum line and in the oil for a day of light driving and I gotta say between the smoke screen I shot out my exhaust and the blacker-than-satan's-heart oil I drained out I feel like it was worthwhile doing so. Oil only had about 2k miles on it, but it was synthetic blend and I had a couple jugs of Mobil 1 full synthetic staring me down every time I walked into the garage.

IMG_20120312_151211.jpg

IMG_20120312_151351.jpg

IMG_20120312_151416.jpg

IMG_20120312_151322.jpg

Synthetic blend with 2k miles after running seafoam through the engine for ~20 miles.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h194/Hot_Dawg2/LS/IMG_20120313_150539.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h194/Hot_Dawg2/LS/IMG_20120313_150549.jpg

old coolant tank
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h194/Hot_Dawg2/LS/IMG_20120308_235846.jpg

Also got a case of Mercon V(that's pronounced Mercon FIVE and not Mercon VEE if you didnt know like I didnt, may save you some snickers at the dealership when you're buying it), XL-3 Friction Modifier and a filter ready for a good ol' tranny flush this weekend.

So in summation I guess I'm doing my 100k maintenance at 87k and it feels good knowing where everything stands with a "new used" car. Brakes are next!

Cool stuff.

Ive been running the same stuff but switched to synthetic blend and motorcraft filter since its much cheaper and what ford recommends.

How come you using 5-30 weight and not 5-20?

Yeah. That's a bad idea with the hydraulically controlled variable valve timing and all. The higher oil pressure may damage some seals. Besides, I'd want the 5W-20 (or even 0W-20) oil to be sure that the timing chains and tight passages got all the oil they needed.

5W-20 is recommended for all years of the LS, V6 or V8.
(0W-20 meets all the specs of 5W-20, so it can be used instead. It's slightly better.)
5W-30 is allowed for gen I LS. 5W-20 is required for gen II.

Did you enjoy paying 3x the price of what a normal oil filter costs as I do? Also yeah I wouldn't chance it, use the 5W-20. It's more expensive, just like everything about the LS.

Did you enjoy paying 3x the price of what a normal oil filter costs as I do? Also yeah I wouldn't chance it, use the 5W-20. It's more expensive, just like everything about the LS.

I just got my K&N oil filter from Amazon for $11.00. Motorcraft filter around here goes for $8.00. Definitely worth it imo. First time I used K&N and the wrench off nut on the end is a god send. So much easier than trying to find a good angle to get the oil wrench on.

yeah I would go with 5-20 .. just my opinion.

Kinda curious how you did the seafoam stuff I wouldn't mind doing that before my next oil change, just rolled over 100k the other day and its time for an oil change anyways.

While on the topic what are the general feelings about blend vs full?

Discussions about oil are almost as bad as about religion.

Everything that I hear says that blend is good enough. Still, I use full.

Also curious about the Seafoam when I do mine next. Assuming oil, but did you add that to your oil, gas, suck it through the vacuum lines, or all of the above?

Debating synthetic vs. synthetic blend, classic.

So I should stop using 10w-30?

Definitely! 10w-30 is like honey compared to the 5w-20.

I have been using the blend and have had no problems. I don't think the Synthetic is going to make a significant difference. Espcially if you are like me and change your oil every 3500 miles. Not worth the money.

It would be more beneficial to the newer cars, that require an oil change twice a year.

Well I cant really answer from a technical perspective but just what I saw visually from the seafoam made me think it was worth the 15 bucks I spent on it. Poured a full can in the gas tank, half can dow n the brake booster vac line, and the other half can in the crankcase. The amount of carbon that came out of the exhaust was... far more impressive than I thought it would be. I also posted some pics of synthetic blend with only 2k miles on it above after driving 20 or so miles with seafoam in the crankcase. That is the most opaque motor oil I've ever seen.

As for the 5w-30 I just grabbed the wrong jug and didnt realize until I had already put it in that the 2nd gen was not as interchangeable between 20-30 as the first gens. Additionally the 115F Palm Springs summers are coming up soon and I figured that bit of extra viscosity couldnt really hurt. Is it really that dangerous to do this?

Next change I'll try to locate some 0w-20 though :)

As for the filters I only paid around 10 bucks each with free shipping from Amazon and I wanted to spoil this car for it's first couple changes lol

... Poured a full can in the gas tank, half can dow n the brake booster vac line, and the other half can in the crankcase. The amount of carbon that came out of the exhaust was... far more impressive than I thought it would be. ...l

I suspect that most (if not all) of the smoke you saw was not carbon, but in fact the seafoam burning. I doubt that it is at all good for the catalytic converters.

Definitely! 10w-30 is like honey compared to the 5w-20.

In that case. I'll be going to the dealer for my next oil change and have them do a complete flush to get all that "honey" out of its system. And they should automatically put in what's best for the LS.

First oil change and you used the wrong grade of oil. Way to RTFM lol.

Don't forget to take lots of pictures when you do your DIY tranny flush please :D

..I hope you don't put the wrong fluid in there
rofl.gif

I suspect that most (if not all) of the smoke you saw was not carbon, but in fact the seafoam burning. I doubt that it is at all good for the catalytic converters.

Agreed. If it looked like you were blowin' soot, rollin' coal, etc. then yes, otherwise I assume you got the same smoke show I did the last time I tried the stuff in my truck.

First oil change and you used the wrong grade of oil. Way to RTFM lol.

Don't forget to take lots of pictures when you do your DIY tranny flush please :D

..I hope you don't put the wrong fluid in there
rofl.gif

Dont have the tools to drain the tranny fully so I'm not doing that myself

Discussions about oil are almost as bad as about religion.

Everything that I hear says that blend is good enough. Still, I use full.

I used whatever the Ford dealer puts into the car as stipulated by my Ford drive-train warranty. :)

Even when that's up I will probably still just go with the Ford synthetic blend and change it when it tells me to. Hasn't really given me a reason to doubt it yet.

What he said. If you actually do de-carbon an engine it will usually end up clogging up the cats and puffing black smoke. If what you saw was this then it was mostly just seafoam burning off: De-Carbon 2006 Jeep Wrangler - YouTube

I wouldn't really worry about carbon build-up since you are going to be running premium grade gas. If you are worried about it then I would just suggest you run a decent fuel additive through your tank like seafoam or techron. Something that is designed to dissolve whatever carbon it finds slowly.

Back in the days of carburetors and open headers you would de-carbon an engine by misting water down the intake. End up steam-cleaning the combustion chamber and piston. On a really dirty engine you would get nice black plumes coming out the back.

Dont have the tools to drain the tranny fully so I'm not doing that myself

Jack stands, an adjustable spanner, an allen wrench, and a fluid pump (<$10)?

Half a can of seafoam in a vacuum line seems like a lot. Quite a lot. Might want to check them to make sure all of it got out. And pump the brake pedal quite a few times while the engine is running.

In that case. I'll be going to the dealer for my next oil change and have them do a complete flush to get all that "honey" out of its system. And they should automatically put in what's best for the LS.

You don't have to go to them.

I would just start using 5-20W and you will be fine. The thick stuff will work itself out after the first oil change with the recommend weight.

Jack stands, an adjustable spanner, an allen wrench, and a fluid pump (<$10)?

Half a can of seafoam in a vacuum line seems like a lot. Quite a lot. Might want to check them to make sure all of it got out. And pump the brake pedal quite a few times while the engine is running.

Dont you need a compressor to run the fluid pump though?

I took the car for a vigorous drive down a back road to make sure all the seafoam cleared the vac lines, and it was probably closer to a third than half

^ I wouldn't mess around with the transmission. Just pay the $180 and have Ford do it properly with a filter change.

Edit: Plus, there is no dipstick, it will be tough to fill up exactly where the mark is.

^ I wouldn't mess around with the transmission. Just pay the $180 and have Ford do it properly with a filter change.

Edit: Plus, there is no dipstick, it will be tough to fill up exactly where the mark is.

Yeah, I can get it done for less than the tools would even cost from a local mechanic I trust. Think I'll pass on that DIY, but never really intended to undertake that in the first place.

You don't have to go to them.

I would just start using 5-20W and you will be fine. The thick stuff will work itself out after the first oil change with the recommend weight.

Thanks for the info. I've been using the Pennzoil high mileage 10w-30.

When I switch to the 5w-20, what's a good one to go with and is there a need for high mileage? I have 175k+ miles.

Members online

Back