First High Idle And Now Won't Start

aurealeus

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have owned my 1995 Mark Vlll for almost ten years and it has always started with one short turn of the key.

The day after a severe thunder/electrical storm, I started my car as usual but noticed that the engine was running at a very high idle and had to brake most of the time while driving. Thinking that something must have got wet from the storm the night before, I drove it approx five miles while idling high assuming it would eventually dry out with the idle returning to normal. About an hour later when I re-started the engine, the problem returned. I then made a second stop and re-start and had the same high-idle problem. I drove a few blocks to do another errand and when I attempted to start the engine a third time, it cranked but would not start.

After trying to start for a while, I disconnected the battery cable for a few minutes to re-set the computer and the engine started without any problem, this time with my usual normal idle. I then drove approx another two miles and the high idle returned so I pulled over and shut the key off. Since then, the engine will not start. Starter cranks without effort but will not turn over. Fuel pump starts when key is turned. Also tried resetting the pump switch in the trunk numerous times to no avail.

Any advice or suggestions what I might look for or try to self-diagnose??

Thank you in advance for any help you might offer.

Crankshaft Positioning Sensor is probably on it's way out. Disconnect it and dry the plug out and reconnect.

I second what roadboss says, sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting the crank sensor wire will make the car start.
happen'd on my first gen a couple of times before I replaced the sensor.

high idle is going to be likely not related, it's gonna be a vacuum leak or a malfunctioning Idle Air Control Valve.

Members online

No members online now.
Back