First Gen Differential Rebuild Help

oilstain

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm putting a 28 spline 8.8 LSD into a 3.31 geared 1st Gen differential.

For rebuilding the used 8.8 LSD, it's clear what I need and very easy to find the parts.

For rebuilding the differential housing itself, I'm having a tough time finding what parts to use and preferably a low-cost kit. I've been all over fordparts.com, but the part numbers are all generic until you place an order (or so it seems).

Does anyone have a source on a kit, or at least part numbers for bearings and seals and such? I'm sure plenty of you have rebuilt these before.

Thanks for any help!

Oilstain

FordPartsGiant gives the full part numbers.

oilstain,

I have a Ford Racing traction lok rebuild kit for an 8.8. Part #M-4700-B. I bought it when I went to rebuild the 8.8 in my F150. It was the wrong one for my F150,,, because this kit has the "short ear" clutches... and the 8.8 for the f150 takes the "long ear" clutches.

Kit comes with 6 clutches, 8 plates, and 8 "shims"... of varying thickness. Also includes a new cross pin lock bolt. Only thing it doesn't include is the bottle of friction modifier.

Kit looks like this:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-...ic-kit-FPReplacementV1&T5_Var3=blue&GID=50472

I was hanging onto the kit,,, with the intention of doing what you are doing... but I realize it's probably never gonna happen. If the kit is the right one for what you are wanting to do... let me know. I'll ship it to you USPS flat rate box... insured and tracked,,, for $40.

Summit raciing or Jegs should also have the parts you are looking for,,, once you get all the part #s. Also... if you have a local 4WD shop in your area,,, they should have the miscellaneous shims and what nots you might need.

Members online

No members online now.
Back