Finished The Valve Cover Seals...buuutttt...

Pete02LSE

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Today...I finished up changing out the valve cover seals on our 02 LSE. While it was quite a PITA, it really wasn't that bad. I must say...I was expecting way worse and almost took it to the dealer...just because I didn't want to deal with it. Couple of observations on the posted instructions.

1) I would add having a 1/4" swivel. That really helped in getting to some of the 7mm bolts

2) I would change them to read...passenger and driver side instead of RH and LH, respectively.

3) Clean off any debris that's on the top of the valve covers...this will prevent you from doing so AFTER you have removed them. This will also reduce the risk of getting any sand/dirt down into the heads

4) Listen to the electrical connecters comment...they are pain to get loose.

That's it...took me about 4 hours to complete both sides.

Now...what I've observed since.

I definetely have a high speed miss. Around 100 mph and at WOT, you can feel the car surging. I have no idea what this is caused by. At idle, you can hear a slight change in the exhaust note. However, I don't know if that is because of my exhaust system I have on it and it is too free flowing. Any ideas? It almost feels like the car is starved for gas. SCT time? Could it be the fuel filter is dirty? Car has 57k on it and we got it with 45k on it when we got it. So...maybe the filter needs changing.

And finally...the strangest thing...when I took it out for it's road test, I was HAMMERING on it and all was well until I did a bunch of high speed stops. The rear brakes were smoking when I stopped. That sorta concerned me...but...since I didn't touch the brakes, I don't see how I caused it.

Welp...that's it.

-Pete
02LSE

Great comments.

Pete02LSE said:
Could it be the fuel filter is dirty? Car has 57k on it and we got it with 45k on it when we got it. So...maybe the filter needs changing.

the fuel filter should be changed at the 30k intervals - so either you're long over due - or just coming close for the next one.

Pete02LSE said:
The rear brakes were smoking when I stopped.

did you have TC on? I noticed it does keep the rear pad working even if you aren't.

Quik LS said:
did you have TC on? I noticed it does keep the rear pad working even if you aren't.

I sure did...so...that makes sense. Good info to have.

I assume the fuel filter is up under the car somewhere...I'll try and find it and change it.

Pete02LSE said:
I sure did...so...that makes sense. Good info to have.

I assume the fuel filter is up under the car somewhere...I'll try and find it and change it.

Nope...the fuel filter is behind the LH...oops...driver's side....inner fender. In the same area as the cruise control servo. Remove the tire, pull the back (rear) portion of the inner fender forward (towards the front of the car) and you will see it there.

Oh...by the way...whenever a manual talks about LH and RH, they are looking at is as you are sitting in the car.

Pete02LSE said:
Couple of observations on the posted instructions.

1) I would add having a 1/4" swivel. That really helped in getting to some of the 7mm bolts

2) I would change them to read...passenger and driver side instead of RH and LH, respectively.

3) Clean off any debris that's on the top of the valve covers...this will prevent you from doing so AFTER you have removed them. This will also reduce the risk of getting any sand/dirt down into the heads

4) Listen to the electrical connecters comment...they are pain to get loose.

That's it...took me about 4 hours to complete both sides.

Glad you were able to complete it so quickly. I have made a couple of changes to my page per your suggestions and will let Joey know also. I appreciate the comments.

It is easy for me to miss a thread here these days too, so if anyone wants things added, feel free to PM me or email me.

Thank you,
Don

I just picked up my 2000 LS 5 speed and drove it for 1600 miles.
I noticed that I had an intermittant miss at cruising speed, every 10, 15 or 20 seconds, and also noticed that the cruise control was jerky, especially going down hill. Since I had no history in regards to the LS, I just thought that is how the cruise works in this car. I drove like this for the first 1,000 miles.
At the next fillup, I added some fuel injector cleaner. (I think it was called STP "Jet Fuel"). After about a quarter tank....no more intermittant miss and the cruise control became very smooth, even going down hills.
Just something you may want to try..cheap too.

Members online

Back