Finished the Valve cover/coil/plug job!!

bmoranmd10

LVC Member
Reaction score
Have to say thanks to the author of the two docs. Also have to say that I had the passenger side done in less than 2 hours and the drivers side took between 8 and 10 not sure how long cause I took a long break after replacing the drivers side valve cover gasket and torqueing all the bolts. so far the car runs good and no leaks.

The funny thing is I had a misfire on cylinder 4 which if I remember the firing order was one of my dry plug wells. I had massive amounts of oil in the plug wells for two cylinders on the drivers side.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback to all of my questions of the last week or two. :Beer

bmoranmd10 said:
Have to say thanks to the author of the two docs. Also have to say that I had the passenger side done in less than 2 hours and the drivers side took between 8 and 10 not sure how long cause I took a long break after replacing the drivers side valve cover gasket and torqueing all the bolts. so far the car runs good and no leaks.

The funny thing is I had a misfire on cylinder 4 which if I remember the firing order was one of my dry plug wells. I had massive amounts of oil in the plug wells for two cylinders on the drivers side.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback to all of my questions of the last week or two. :Beer

wow, very nice! hows it running now? you notice a big difference?
you replace ALL coils???
do you have a v6 or a v8??

i've got all the gaskets, just need to find a bunch of free time to do them...

Car is an 02 V8 with 65k miles. I replaced all plugs and coils. Not sure I needed to, but I'm old school when it comes to that stuff, it just doesnt make sense to me to have one new coil and 7 old coils. So far so good, car runs good and no leaks. It's a doable shadetree job, it just takes a bunch of time. Pass side is cake, drivers side sucks, cause you have to unbolt a bunch a junk to get to it in the first place and a couple of the bolts lower side towards the rear are very hard to get to. For the most part though once you get them broke loose you can work them the rest of the way with just a socket and your fingers.

Also I wouldnt tackle the job without a tool/bolt recovery tool:
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3499&mfrcode=APO&mfrpartnumber=T73489

Dropped wrenches/nuts/bolts rarely make all the way to the ground.

bmoranmd10 said:
Car is an 02 V8 with 65k miles. I replaced all plugs and coils. Not sure I needed to, but I'm old school when it comes to that stuff, it just doesnt make sense to me to have one new coil and 7 old coils. So far so good, car runs good and no leaks. It's a doable shadetree job, it just takes a bunch of time. Pass side is cake, drivers side sucks, cause you have to unbolt a bunch a junk to get to it in the first place and a couple of the bolts lower side towards the rear are very hard to get to. For the most part though once you get them broke loose you can work them the rest of the way with just a socket and your fingers.

Also I wouldnt tackle the job without a tool/bolt recovery tool:
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3499&mfrcode=APO&mfrpartnumber=T73489

Dropped wrenches/nuts/bolts rarely make all the way to the ground.

yeah, i know... i cant really tell what that is... is that the magnetic extender.. or is that the claw thing that you press the top & it opens up the little claw/grabber at the end.. i have both!!! :N

i lost so many screws/bolts/washers inside my car when i changed my stock radio to my cd player, then when i put my subs in & had to hook up the rca's back there & i'm sure when i take the radio out again for the pac-swi-x steering wheel thing, i will lose some more!!!
i dont think any of the screws i have holding down the dash are stock! those go way down in there!!!

now anytime i unscrew something that can fall down, i use the screwdriver w/one hand, and hold the magnetic extender to the screw w/the other hand... it works well!!

I keep putting this off as I'm pretty busy working on my mustang lately...I also have an exhaust manifold leaking that will need attention at the same time :(

Members online

Back