Finding coolant leak 02 LS

Broseph

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I noticed that someone already did a similar thread for an 05 and there's been many coolant threads, but this one has a different question behind it.

So far:
Replaced Degas bottle
Replaced thermostat housing (jaguar aluminum)
Replaced radiator.
Electric fan conversion (doesn't pertain really but it was a proud moment)

My 02 v8 overheated in March. Saw temp climbing started to get over, then it spiked, started limp mode, steam/coolant spewed from bottle, shut it down. (All this was within 20 seconds or less.)

Bottle was cracked, figured it to be trapped air so replaced, bled and all was good.

In the past month or two I've noticed I'm loosing coolant slowly. Havent seen any leaks anywhere and there has been no overheating issues. My concern is could I possibly have a blown gasket from that short overheat episode or is it an undetected leak? And, what's the easiest way to eliminate either possiblity? (i.e do those coolant tank carbon monoxide gas leak detectors for blown head gaskets work or is there a method to pressurize the system and see if it leaks anywhere?)

A last note: when I changed my oil I didn't see any froth or that coffee w/ creamer colored oil when water mixes in, but i swear I smell coolant when I start the car but my buddy and dad says it's more exhaust smelling than anything, which is probably coming through the outside vent.

Sorry for the novel. Any help would be great

I doubt its a cracked head. I've only heard of one person ever having one and it was due to 2 years of constant overheating. Total neglect of the maintenance. It sounds like you still have a leak somewhere. There is a pressure test kit that will pressurize the system and that will point out any leaks. Im not sure where to find it but I know there is one.

You could make one from some pipe fittings, a bike tire pump and a section of radiator hose. I have seen that done before and it works amazingly well.

Your leak could be coming from the coolant tower/engine fill and be a very small leak but since you relaced that then maybe not. It would likely run onto the engine and evaporate before it hits the ground.

All the remaining plastic coolant parts should be suspect before the head gaskets. I'm not as familiar with gen I, but I assume your radiator hoses have plastic parts. Your DCCV and aux pump could also be leaking. Apparently, the heater cores are possibilities too.

AFAIK, the hydrocarbon sniffers do work for determining head gasket to cooling system leaks.

Yes, you can use a pressure tester to pressurize the cold system and look for leaks. This can be very helpful, but does not always work. Sometimes the leak will only leak at just the right temperature, pressure, and mechanical stress.

Rather than looking for leaked liquid coolant, you might look for dried coolant residue. It can be very minor and hard to spot, but it should be there.

Im starting to conclude that you two guys almost never sleep lol ;). I did notice some residue from the cap on the t-stat housing, but I attributed that to me spilling a little during the origional fill-up....looks like a quick cleaning and a few days of waiting may be in order for that, I just find it hard to believe because I snugged that bad boy pretty good.

I'm just glad that even with the overheat a head gasket is not the typical culprit. I replaced the tensioners, chains when I had the damaged valves replaced and I do not wish torquing those heads down on anyone. Torgue-to-yeild= major fail

Thanks for the info fellas

Not the best phrase in that statement. PITA is a better description.

Members online

No members online now.
Back