Finally Met My Match - Door Lock Actuators

Elemino

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So far, I've done ALL the work done to my car since I bought it back in February. Today I was finally beat by what should have been a simple job... Replacing the Door Lock Actuators so my power locks on the driver front and rear doors will work. I was able to disconnect the wiring and unbolt the actuator from the door, but when it came to disconnecting the connecting rods, there was nothing I could do. I even got online and searched a bit on YouTube. I finally determined there must be several tools I'm missing (including a riveting tool, because the interior handle apparently must be removed). So, unless someone can shine a super bright light, I'm going to have to pony up and pay someone to do this job.

BTW, I also had the luck of breaking one of the connecting rods off the exterior handle... so now it needs to be replaced.

Its a little hard to do with the little space there is but you just need the basic tools. I've taken it off various times.

Check the manual, maybe you're mising something.

http://deneau.info/ls/

Its a little hard to do with the little space there is but you just need the basic tools. ...

I think that a little hard is an understatement. I can say that I too was able to do it with just normal tools, but it was a pain. I wish I could remember if there were any special tricks to tell you, but I can't. I do recall that once I got the first one out and saw how the tabs and clips locked in and out, it was easier the next time.

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x1e008.htm~gen~ref.htm

The section you want is:
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xs1e0l.htm~gen~ref.htm

I managed to change every actuator in mine except the driver's door. For some reason it never quit. I found that removing the exterior door handle was a big help.

Edit: I forgot Elemino had a GEN II. I changed actuators in my GEN I, so I am probably no help.

+1 what he ^^^^^ said

I don't know if you took off the exterior door handle but that should help. I remember I did on mine, not sure if it was necessary or not.

I think that a little hard is an understatement. I can say that I too was able to do it with just normal tools, but it was a pain. I wish I could remember if there were any special tricks to tell you, but I can't. I do recall that once I got the first one out and saw how the tabs and clips locked in and out, it was easier the next time.

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x1e008.htm~gen~ref.htm

The section you want is:
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xs1e0l.htm~gen~ref.htm

Very true. The second and third time were so much easier. I even had to take it off with the door close, but panel off. The darn thing broke on me while trying to fix it, I closed the door and it wouldn't open anymore. Luckily I had the panel off, I had to take the actuator cover off, exposing all the little trinkets to open the door manually with even less room with the door being closed.

\

I may try that again today. I was working on the drivers door. The exterior handle has never been in great shape and was on my list of things to replace. It appears I will have to do it sooner than later because the connecting rod snapped the plastic off while I was trying to remove the actuator. The LS will sit once again... but only for half a week or so this time. I have to order a new handle tomorrow.

OAN: I was able to replace the "amplifier assembly" (light sensor) in the middle of the dash. It was much easier than expected... so I suppose for every action theres an actuator in a door waiting to give you hell. lol

Thanks for the help guys! I will try to remove the exterior handle. I still have the rear door to do, and if I can figure it out, I'll finish up myself.

Edit: I can now also confirm the module in the drivers door does not have the code to the keypad. I guess I'll have to pay the $108 they want to charge to get the code for me.

How were you guys able to get the cable into the interior handle? I broke the old one trying to remove it. It looks like the handle needs to be unriveted from the door in order to install it.

How were you guys able to get the cable into the interior handle? I broke the old one trying to remove it. It looks like the handle needs to be unriveted from the door in order to install it.

Sorry, I only detached the cable at the latch end, so I didn't have to deal with the door handle.

In general:
Drill out the center of the rivets.
Either buy/borrow/rent the large rivet gun needed to replace them, or pick out some correctly sized bolts, nuts, and lock washers to replace the rivets.

Just got off the phone with the local dealership, and they ordered a "ready-to-paint" door handle for $80. I could have gotten it from Tasca for $51~70, but I don't have time to wait a week to get it. Hopefully, Service King doesn't charge too much to paint it.

That sucks on the rivets. I never thought about removing the cable from the other end, I didn't think it was possible. I'll remember that for the rear door, but for the front I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

So I picked up the handle today. It comes a dull gray (primer I assume). I took it to Service King and they will paint it for $100 using the color code of the car... (UA) BLACK. lol

I don't know if that's too much, or if its a great deal. I've never had anything professionally painted before. I should get it back late this evening or tomorrow morning. Can't wait to get the car back together with working door locks. This is the final step of prep before having the remote start alarm installed.

So I picked up the handle today. It comes a dull gray (primer I assume). I took it to Service King and they will paint it for $100 using the color code of the car... (UA) BLACK. lol

I don't know if that's too much, or if its a great deal. I've never had anything professionally painted before. I should get it back late this evening or tomorrow morning. Can't wait to get the car back together with working door locks. This is the final step of prep before having the remote start alarm installed.

That's probably their minimum charge. It seems fair considering that there is about as much time/effort involved in painting one small item as would be for several small ones or one large one. If I remember correctly, it cost the insurance around $400 to paint a new front bumper for my car.

That's probably their minimum charge. It seems fair considering that there is about as much time/effort involved in painting one small item as would be for several small ones or one large one. If I remember correctly, it cost the insurance around $400 to paint a new front bumper for my car.
The total cost with taxes actually came out to $97. They did a pretty good job. The door handle was actually painted better than the factory handle I removed. They stuck something under the handle to keep it in the pulled-out position, and they painted the cracks as well.

Guys I want to thank you for your advice! I actually finished up the job this morning, and you were 100% right! Removing the exterior handles made the job SOOOOO easy! I was surprised how easy it was once I knew what I was doing. I've been amazed how easy most things I've done to this car have been. I thought this job had defeated me, but I just needed to know a little more info.

On the one where I broke the cable, I refused to remove the rivets. lol I took my diagonal cutters and made a carefully placed cut, and broke out a small piece. It still took force to get the cable in position, so I'm confident it will not move. Then I took some super glue and stuck the piece I cut out back in there. It was very snug and turned out very well. Now all 4 power locks work, and I'm ready for the final phase of all this work. Having my remote start Viper 5704 alarm installed.

Members online

No members online now.
Back