Finally installed new drive shaft!

Infarc

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well not really a new drive shaft, actually an older drive shaft. I bought a one piece shaft from a '93 a couple of years ago from BlackIceLSC and then set it in the garage, with the intention of installing it.

I was having the typical issues: The rear view mirror became basically unusable after about 50 mph, and there were certain speeds I tended to avoid because it would vibrate a little bit but for the most part I didn't think about it.

Then earlier this year I started to get this odd noise coming from underneath the car. The only way I can describe it is that it sounded like a key being made, sort of a metal on metal scraping sound. After walking, then running, and finally bicycling next to the car it sure sounded like it was coming from the exact center of the car, so it either had to be something at the very back of the transmission or it had to be the forward U joint.

With this Saturday coming up, I wanted things to be as right as I could make them so took the time to swap out the original 2 piece for the 1 piece 93 shaft and wow! What a difference!

I knew there was some vibration but I had no idea how much of it I was actually feeling. The car feels like it is on glass now. I really can't express just how much of a difference it made. It feels so much nicer.

And the sound went away too. An inspection of the old U joint didn't really show up anything, it looks fine and seems to move fine, but the sound is completely gone now and I am happy happy happy!

It is rare when I do something and it meets every expectation/hope I had when I started. I am just amazed at the difference.

pics or it didn't happen

The only real photo I took was one to show the difference between two piece and one piece drive shafts. Here it is...

IMG_0068.jpg

Also having never had the drive shaft out before, I was really pleased/surprised to see that there are two driveshaft loops, one before and one after it passes over the fuel tank. That had been a concern of mine, nice to see that someone at Lincoln thought of it too.

Members online

No members online now.
Back