Finally got rid of the front end clunk.

Gus_Mahn

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
The clunk has been driving me crazy for a couple of years. I could find no loose parts after I've changed (wheel bearings, lower ball joints, sway bar bushings, and sway bar links). I could hear the clunk hitting the curb on my driveway and over most small bumps. I began to suspect the rack was loose. Though I couldn't see the slop, I could hear it and knew most racks have adjustment to eliminate the slop. Since most of the wear should occur with the wheel straight ahead, I rotated the steering wheel one turn to the left and jacked up the driver's side of the car which was supported on a jackstand. I had my wife rock the wheel left and right while I slowly tightened the 17mm nut on the rear of the rack with a 6 point socket. It took about 1/8 of a turn clockwise to get the slop out (see below, white line / yellow line). I'm happy to say the clunk is gone. The wheel seems to self center fine, but I know over tightening will make the wheel stick. This rack lacks the jam nut that most racks have. There's a rubber plug in the bottom of the nut. I removed it but don't think there is anything under it that needs to be held. I'm not sure if any of this is right, so if you know better please post it up.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/196/9z6l.jpg/] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/URL]

Interesting. I didn't realize there was an adjustment for them. If only the rest of clunks were as easy as tightening a single nut or bolt.

If you feel like it might back out again, Loktite makes a green thread locker that you can put on the threads without removing anything. Just put it on the threads close to the nut and it'll soak into the threads.

This is very interesting. I have the clunk as well and new ball joints, sway bar bushings, and some other suspension parts haven't solved the problem so perhaps this is the next step. Thanks for the info GusMahn

The rack looks super easy to change and can be had for less than $200, although changing it would require an alignment. I figure what's there to loose if this doesn't help.

Where are you finding a new rack for less than $200? Assuming you meant new here.

Where are you finding a new rack for less than $200? Assuming you meant new here.
Rebuilt by Detroit Axle. on eBay for $155 and includes core charge and inner tie rods. My brother has one from them in his Focus and has been fine.

Found my front end clunk was the sway bar bushings, followed by loose tie rod end nuts. 01V6

Members online

Back