FINALLY getting a 2006, after a year of waiting

GoFar

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Colorado: Home of hideously overpriced 2006 Lincoln LS's. Been looking for a year, only got serious within the past month since I'm moving. Average mileage throughout the year has been 85,000, with asking prices of $10,000, all base model 06's. Finally convinced myself I could do without the black paint, HID, Navigation, backup sensors, and heated and cooled seats. Found this in Layton, UT for $6,800. 118k on the odometer, flying off August 3rd in the morning, taking a cab to the dealership, and driving her home in time to clean her up and drive her to work on the 5th.

The only option this one has is the heated and cooled front seats. Told myself I can vinyl wrap the car gloss black, get a custom navi head unit, convert lighting to LEDs, and use aftermarket backup sensors. Besides, I like the aesthetics of the speakers on the center stack, I'd like to keep it.

What's better: I will now have 2 LS's, although the one I have right now will be parted out later down the road. Still like the silkiness of this power steering 209k miles old, despite the bad transmission and engine.

1118924-2-large.jpg

1118939-0-large.jpg

1118939-1-large.jpg

1118939-12-large.jpg

Those weren't standard?! I mean I have seen a few 03-05 V8's without the sunroof, and the premium audio, but since the base on these were $40,000 in 2006, I would have expected these to be standard. Then again, cassettes were still a thing even for MY2006.

I can't speak with certainty on the mirrors. I know that my 04 V8 sport does not have folding mirrors. I am pretty sure that I saw some 06s with radio/cassette and no subs or console speakers. My 06 sticker lists the "POWER MOONROOF" as part of the $2795 Premium Package, so I am pretty sure that it is not standard.

Base price was listed as $39,285, with options it was $49,710, but that was discounted down to $47,920. (and I talked it down a little from there...)

Yeah went to go look at it.... $2,795 for an upgraded audio system, heated and cooled front seats, the adjustable rear headrests, more wood, and the moonroof. $5,240 gave you the HID's, navigation, chrome wheels, and the traction control system. So this one has the premium package. Ah, and this white paint was a $695 option. Ford really knows how to get people!

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!

My wife got side-swiped down the left side, just behind the front wheel to the rear fender.....

The door should be replaced... HOWEVER... NONE available (new or junk yard)!

Like I've said, the problem with the LS is keeping it repaired!!!!! The body shop is going to have their work cut out for them!!!!

Mine was a stripper LS. No premium audio, moon roof, or folding mirrors. Even the base radio with casette and the aluminum grid looking dash inserts.

I've since added folding mirrors to it after replacing one that broke on a road barrel.

What year is the one you have that will be parted out? Might want to keep it around as a parts car.

It's a 2001 V6. Yeah, I'm going to steal the REM, all the window regulators, the clockspring, the door actuators, the degas tank, and the moonroof motor; if they are the same. These are all new parts, and these items are bound to fail down the road.

Beautiful car, and welcome to the 2006 club! (almost) I love what the 2006's look like in white. I was lucky and found one in black, but I am actually a fan of the white also. Beautiful car!

IMG_6468.jpg

IMG_6468.jpg

Just got approved for $201.87 for 48 months. Actually flying out of here on the 28th of this month instead of August 3rd. Paying one hell of an interest though....
Guys replaced coils and plugs, with no oil in the chamber, so I'm golden there. No oxidation on the headlamps either! Also the heating element on the driver seat isn't working. Heard somewhere that duct tape will fix this?

First up: Half smoke tint tail lights with rear LEDs, kind of the same style as Andrizzle's LS. The red just doesn't flow with me right.

Plan on wrapping the entire car in 3M gloss black after I get it paid off in two years (paying it off early so that there isn't so much weight on my shoulders).

Thought about wrapping the entire car in black chrome too, but that is wrong. And I'll be pissing off literally everyone on the road.

It's a 2001 V6. Yeah, I'm going to steal the REM, all the window regulators, the clockspring, the door actuators, the degas tank, and the moonroof motor; if they are the same. These are all new parts, and these items are bound to fail down the road.

thats a lot of parts that (even if they did fit and worked) are all wear items and are probably ready to fail themselves...

used clockspring, window regulators, degas tank, actuators, and sunroof motors would be the last things I would want to try to reuse... you would be far better served just selling the different gen car, taking the money and putting git in a mayo jar and burring it in the back yard until something does break, then digging it up to buy NEW wear item part to complete the repair

Just got approved for $201.87 for 48 months.

Yikes, 4 year loan on a decade old car with over 100k on the clock? dang, somebody likes to roll the dice!
if you can pay it off in half of that, why not just get the loan for that and pay less interest?

damn, what is that, like 15% interest with 0 down?

the heating element on the driver seat isn't working. Heard somewhere that duct tape will fix this?

no... but replacing the AIR DUCT may fix it, but then again, I though they had that problem fixed by 06... (heating elements like what you find in most cars with heat only seats is way different than this device) try removing the filter and seeing if it works or not...

Interest is a horrid 18.13%. With fees included, the car is $7,006 and some cents. $6,899 loan (including the $99 loan fee), with $200 and remainder at the dealer, and the $500-something in taxes that I'll have to pay up here when I do get it up here. Wells Fargo (at least in my case) doesn't offer the equivalent ARM loan; pay something low for two years, then pay the entire amount after. I'll be paying almost $2,000 in interest (total for everything will be less than $10,000), which is still one hell of a bargain compared to the Colorado pricing of 2006 LS's of $10,000 not including taxes and financing. I could probably sell this one for about $10,000 if I wanted to up here.

Pretty much none of those gen I parts will work on the gen II.
There's no heating element in the gen II front seat. It's basically a miniature sold-state heat pump. 05/06 have the revised ducts, so crushed ducts shouldn't be a problem. However, the fan motors seem to have a high failure rate.
That $6800 car is now at $9690 and will be 14 years old when paid off...

well if your gonna fly, might as well fly somewhere you can actually get a decent deal...

like here, half the miles, same price...
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...INC[LSLINCOLN[]][]]&listingId=404780765&Log=0

or this one with a lot less miles and a lot less expensive...
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...INC[LSLINCOLN[]][]]&listingId=396205781&Log=0

or this one with still less miles and a lot cheaper...
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...INC[LSLINCOLN[]][]]&listingId=402918286&Log=0

just saying, at over 100k miles, you can pretty much bet on it being ready for at least a couple grand in maintenance, that's an awful lot of money for such an old car...

$9,690 is still cheaper than anything here in Colorado right now.

If I were to buy a LS right now in Colorado at an amazing 2.5% for a $10,500 loan amount (taxes and dealer fees included... which is exactly what it would cost here) for 48 months, I'd be in $11,044 after financing and everything. Still saved over $1,300. Of course, I should also include the flight, and drive back (including food) on that $9,690, which is $400. Still saved $900, and I'm getting more for my money, like the heated seats and the temporary white paint.

I mentioned once that this under-powered and poorly mated together brilliance of a car is my favorite car, relative to entry and mid-level luxury cars of yesterday and today.

well if your gonna fly, might as well fly somewhere you can actually get a decent deal...

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...INC[LSLINCOLN[]][]]&listingId=404780765&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...INC[LSLINCOLN[]][]]&listingId=396205781&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...INC[LSLINCOLN[]][]]&listingId=402918286&Log=0

just saying, at over 100k miles, you can pretty much bet on it being ready for at least a couple grand in maintenance, that's an awful lot of money for such an old car...

Those are good finds. Except I learned that mileage doesn't dictate overall condition. For example: I drove a 2004 V8 with 95,000 miles, and that thing was already falling apart. Power steering was gone, transmission was bogging, engine response was ehh. Needed a DCCV, clockspring, many electronic gizmos going bad. Prior to this, I drove a 2003 V8 with 150,000 miles, and that thing was so solid, I almost bought it, except I didn't because they fell through to another buyer. Taking the example of that mint 2006 LS for $9,600, good car, but transmission was starting to go, at 76,000, plus the moonroof was glitching out. I know this one will have problems too, but said problems won't exceed a couple thousand dollars. More miles, less problems it seems.

Those prices are before taxes, dealer fees, and financing. Add a thousand or two to each case. This 06 I'm buying only costs $6,800. $9,690 is the cost of everything in my case.

Figure I take an ok price with ok miles that's close enough for me, and treat it good.

My '06 had 108K on it when I got it, (113K now) and I got it for $6,200 before taxes or any dealer BS... $7,000 Out the door (paid cash)

I am doing the run of the mill cooling fixes (all plastic parts that tend to fail) and besides that, it has been running well. Aesthetically, it is a 7 out of 10 on the outside, 9/10 inside... having some minor paint issues on the front and rear bumpers and a few door dings.... but nothing serious.

Mine has the package that adds navi, AdvanceTrac, moonroof, HIDs and chrome rims. No rear parking sensors, adjustable pedals or rear heated seats, but that's okay with me.

It's all dependent on what you find in your market and what you can afford at that given time.

Valid point and 3 good looking cars. Great post. Sure, every car has had unique treatment but don't argue against lower mileage cars and rationalize distances to travel to find your car. You don't want to do this again, and that 118K mi car IS an awful lot of miles (well treated...that is still a lot of miles my friend). Of those 3 that 1LoudLS showed, odds are there's at least one well treated car there minimum.

I had never traveled before to buy a car until a few years back, and I'm no kid. It was worth it, even including shipping the car home (from Florida to Arizona). When the car is more or less a special one, you need to take the blinders off and go for the best one you can find. You will not regret it.

...Mine has the package that adds navi, AdvanceTrac, moonroof, HIDs and chrome rims. No rear parking sensors, adjustable pedals or rear heated seats, ...

That's the elite package. Most of the other items are individual add-on options on the sticker. I didn't get heated rear seats, but I did get park assist and adjustable memory pedals. The memory pedals where a must as my wife and I have very different driving positions. I've found the rear park assist to be more useful than I thought it would be. Also, (I'll have to look again) I think the rear park assist and side curtain airbags (not the same as the seat side air bags) were packaged together as some sort of safety package.

when I bought my 03 back in late 07 or early 08, got it for $11k with a little over 55k miles on her... even then I though I was a little silly going 48 months, but I had been out of my 1st gen for over a year and was getting tired of driving around an 87 S15 jimmy, so I sold the jimmy for $500 ($100 more than I paid for it) and had $2500 to throw down on it...

Members online

No members online now.
Back