Finally 20's on today but now I'm shaking!!

LsPlayboy18

LVC Member
Reaction score
Today i got my 20's on and i pulled out of the parking lot and got up to speed. by the time i got to 60 my steering wheel was shaking so bad i couldnt even hold it strait.. the car drives strait just the wheel shakes like you wouldnt believe. Please let me know what i can do to improve this because everywhere i drive is 60+. BTW pics up tommorrow.
Thanks Kevin

i have the same problem, not sure what it is though. maybe we should get em aligned and balanced. im gonna go this weekend to get it checked out.

Doesnt sound normal at all...Id have the balancing on the wheels checked and alignment too...

itsnotmydaddys said:
i have the same problem, not sure what it is though. maybe we should get em aligned and balanced. im gonna go this weekend to get it checked out.

i got them ballanced today when i had them put on but let me know if u figure out what it is this weekend.. ill get my allignment done tommorrow. ill let u know if it improves.

I used to work at a tire store, and it could be a couple of things. On nice wheels like yours they will usually use tape weights that stick to the inside of your wheel. If there is any crap or dust where they stuck the tape on, it can easily come off. Its possible you have a defective tire. At any rate its because of the wheels and tires and the shop should help you out.

pdzcallday said:
You need what is called a "High Speed balance".

As opposed to a low speed balance? Not being a smart arse but I dont know the difference. I always watch my wheels get balanced. It was amazing all the weights they had to put on to balance my 35-14.5-15 inch super swampers.

Basically you need to have them speed balanced again. I would go to a different place however, since they obvisously didn't balance them correctly the first time.

You could also have a bent rim, warped rotor, or bad tires.

Personally, I'm 99% certain it's the balancing.

:Beer

Hey does it get worse if you lightly tought the brakes? Sounds like you could have some warped rotors or HIGH speed Balanced, Just the two things I can think of Or even bad rim/tire would be the first time new rim/tire was screwed up

I had the same problem a few years on go when new tires where put onto my now de-funct Dodge Stratus....

took em back to shop, the went thru the balance again (all 4 where WAAAAYYY off), and all was good... it seems the A$$ hat that balanced them the first time didnt set up the balancer right, so it thought it was balancing different size/offset tire/wheel combo.

it was a good thing I went back within an hour of getting them, because the balancer hadn't been used on another tire setup, and was still miss set.. made it easy to verify what the shop manager thought had happened.

If the car started doing this AFTER you've had the wheels installed, then it's one of three things:

1. Bad wheel
2. Bad Tire
3. Improper balaincing.

Take the car to a shop that has a Road Force Balancing Machine. The machine is so "smart" that it can tell you if it's your tire, wheel, or neither that is bad.

Are the wheels hub centric? I know that they fit on the lugs, however there should be no play when mountin the wheel on the car even when it isn't bolted down. You may need to get centering rings for the. I also used to work at a tire shop. There is no regulation on getting your mahcine checked. We used to store all the wheel weights on top of the machine. Well over the years the platic thing that held the weights started to sag and rest on the motor in the machine. I feel bad for all of the customers that came and complaned about shaking wheels, the machine would tell me I did a perfect job however it was far off.
Eamonn

OK.. i went to the tire shop today and had them check the ballancing again they said it was perfect..but they showed me that my rim has a 2 and 3/4 inch circle (forgive me i cant rember the name).. where the rim goes on the car.. and then they showed me that the circle on the car has a 2 and 1/4 cricle they told me i just need a little ring..(forgot the name to but its not a spacer or anything) only 20.00 that will make up the 1/2" difference.

the circle im talking about its right in the middle of the rim and the middle of the the five lug studs.

no not the bolt battern but there is a circle if you take your rims off u will see exactly what i mean.. there is also a circle in the rims that should fit exactly if they dont then the mechanic told me about the centering rings that will fix the problem. These are the best pics i could come up with in this florida hurricane weather.

Kevin car 001.jpg

itsnotmydaddys said:
PICS Please :)

Centering rings should come with the wheels unless your dealer charges extra for them. Mine were taped to the inside of each wheel to insure that I did not forget to use them when I received my wheels from Tire Rack.

thamarkman said:
I used to work at a tire store, and it could be a couple of things. On nice wheels like yours they will usually use tape weights that stick to the inside of your wheel. If there is any crap or dust where they stuck the tape on, it can easily come off. Its possible you have a defective tire. At any rate its because of the wheels and tires and the shop should help you out.
also: hub centric rings? It may need those

Members online

Back