Filling and draining the coolant system

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
"Add coolant to the degas bottle allowing the system to equalize until no more coolant can be added."
THIS IS A QUOTE FROM WORKSHOP MANUAL... Question? How much coolant should you put in the degas reservoir? This last time I filled my system I added the coolant to degas bottle until it was almost full to top ...then yo rhe engine fill cap ...but every other time I filled my LSes I just filled the reservoir to the hot fill mark then filled the engine fill cap ....another question? I see that the coolant in this LS fills rather strange ...both my 2001 LSes I could fill the engine fill cap and coolant wouldn't escape into the degas reservoir ...I would have to fill each of them separately...is it normal for the degas reservoir coolant level to rise when I'm filling the engine full cap? Thanks for any input guys...

May I share what happened after I replaced the cooling parts and buttoned everything back up.

I started at the engine fill cap and put some in the degas bottle... I believe just a little over the Hot mark.

Put the cap back on the engine but left the cap off the degas bottle, I’ll get to that here shortly.

Started the engine with the defrost at max and let it run for a few.
The level in the degas dropped pretty low and I filled it.
The temp gauge showed I was just shy of the mid point.
Degas bottle did not drop this time and cold air was coming out the vents.

I still have the cap off the degas bottle at this point in time.
So I slowly opened the engine fill cap and added more coolant there.

Then I noticed coolant running out the top of the degas bottle :/ so I put both caps on and rev’d her up.
After about a minute, heat started coming out the vents.
Had to add more to the degas bottle.
Started to bleed air and after idling for a while, no leaks, I took her for a short run around the block.

From there, it was Drive a little, bleed a little, add a little. Rinse and repeat.

Hope this helps.

May I share what happened after I replaced the cooling parts and buttoned everything back up.

I started at the engine fill cap and put some in the degas bottle... I believe just a little over the Hot mark.

Put the cap back on the engine but left the cap off the degas bottle, I’ll get to that here shortly.

Started the engine with the defrost at max and let it run for a few.
The level in the degas dropped pretty low and I filled it.
The temp gauge showed I was just shy of the mid point.
Degas bottle did not drop this time and cold air was coming out the vents.

I still have the cap off the degas bottle at this point in time.
So I slowly opened the engine fill cap and added more coolant there.

Then I noticed coolant running out the top of the degas bottle :/ so I put both caps on and rev’d her up.
After about a minute, heat started coming out the vents.
Had to add more to the degas bottle.
Started to bleed air and after idling for a while, no leaks, I took her for a short run around the block.

From there, it was Drive a little, bleed a little, add a little. Rinse and repeat.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for chiming in...my question is this....Did you fill the engine fill cap until it was full? Another question is.... when filling the engine fill cap did you notice your degas reservoir was getting fuller also at the same time?

Thanks for chiming in...my question is this....Did you fill the engine fill cap until it was full? Another question is.... when filling the engine fill cap did you notice your degas reservoir was getting fuller also at the same time?

Did you fill the engine fill cap until it was full?---Yes.

When filling the engine fill cap did you notice your degas reservoir was getting fuller also at the same time?---No it did not, It was only when the engine was running did filling from the engine fill cap that the degas bottle began to fill and overflow.

Hope this helps ya pard.
One would think that adding the engine coolant would be the easiest part of the this job, but not on these cars.

When filling the engine fill cap did you notice your degas reservoir was getting fuller also at the same time?---No it did not, It was only when the engine was running did filling from the engine fill cap that the degas bottle began to fill and overflow.

Hope this helps ya pard.
One would think that adding the engine coolant would be the easiest part of the this job, but not on these cars.
Yes that does help!!!! Thank you for answering that question! I think I can finally resolve this issue now...something is wrong with my system ..when filling the engine fill cap I shouldn't have my degas reservoir filling at the same time ...Now I need to figure out why this is happening ....My question is going to be ....what hose is blocked and/or not blocked that is causing this? Just a rhetorical question...but if ANYONE knows by all means I'm listening to what is happening here!! Lol

Hope this helps ya pard.
FWIW .. This morning I first called the biggest Lincoln Dealership in my State and talked to a service Tech...he stated " You must continue to pour coolant into the engine fill cap until it comes out of your heater bleed valve" I said that I did this and it fills up the degas reservoir...he stated "keep filling the engine fill cap until the coolant comes out of the heater bleeder valve" I then called my mechanic and told him the situation...he states " keep putting coolant into the engine fill cap while squeezing very slowly the bottom radiator hose...this will burp all the air out that you have built up" ...if this works ...this will be the mother of all bleeding tricks lol

This is what I use on all my vehicles. NEVER had any problems with trapped air after buying and using this. If you have an air compressor, at least 20 gallon, you should be fine. Got my for under $100 on Amazon a few years ago, today probably $115 to $120, look for sales on-line.

UVU550000.jpg

This is what I use on all my vehicles. NEVER had any problems with trapped air after buying and using this. If you have an air compressor, at least 20 gallon, you should be fine. Got my for under $100 on Amazon a few years ago, today probably $115 to $120, look for sales on-line.

View attachment 828573835
Damn! I need this! Thanks

Try running the bleed line into the edges tank. Speeds up burping the system. Bleed line tread M6-1.0 and 1/16-27 NPT fitting in the tank.

20200326_101045.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back