Few questions about Mark VII's

Gp423

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, my uncle has a Mark VII that he just finished fixing up and is offering to me. ive always loved the way mark VII's look and the fact that theres a 302 under the hood :steering: the one thing is, i currently own a 1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula with a 305 and auto. i love driving that car, its like a big go-kart. just a couple of questions before i decide to jump from chevy to ford :D

Does the mark VII handle well? i know its near 4000 lbs which is around 600lbs more than my firebird, but my firebird has weak shocks and it still handles nicely. (i wish the car had plates so i could take it for a spin)

Does it get decent gas mileage? and by decent i mean more than 180 miles to the tank lol. (my firebird gets terriable mileage).

Sorry for the silly questions im just looking for a more reliable replacement for the 'bird but i still want to have fun and the ability to boost up performance some when funds are avaliable. Thanks for all the help! hope to join the community soon!

Throw plates on it and take it for a spin. For a 2 ton barge it handles ok. You will want to know if it is newer than 1986 and if it is an LSC. As for gas mileage, you'll get more than 180 miles per tank...they have a 22.3 gallon tank. If you stay out of it you'll get 18-19 city and 23-25 highway with a good tune.

I had an 88 Formula (305 TBI, 700R4, 2.73) with a Hooker aerochamber cat back right before I picked up my '87 LSC about 6 years ago. The Formula sounded fast as hell, but was dog slow. My Lincoln has been THE most fun car I have ever owned. It's even more fun when you spank people in a 3rd gen ;)

Welcome aboard, BTW. Where's Oceanside?

hahaha i know exactly what u mean, the firebird sounds like a beast and has some lope at idle, but once u punch it, it makes a ton of noise and goes no where lol, Oceansides in Long island, i used to live in brooklyn and visit often, where in SI are u?

oh, does the 302 pull till redline? the firebird aggrivates me when it stops pulling at 4k but redlines at 5k, stupid TPI! lol

oh yea the mark VII is an 89 also. not sure if its an LSC, is there any difference really?

I figured Oceanside was around here. We try and get together out in Bellmore at the LIRR station on Friday nights when it's nice out (which hasn't been the case the last 3 Fridays). If it's nice out and you're around, stop by, you can't miss us. I'm not far from the VZ bridge - near SI hospital by the beach.

The 302 will pull a little farther than a TPI car when stock. Better heads, upper/lower intakes and exhaust will fix that though. :D

Hmm, bellmore, yeaa thats close i think, east or north of me or something lol. ill defenitly try to stop by during the summer. im going to look at the mark VII saturday ill take it for a ride and defenitly let u guys know what i think. cant wait, theres this little honda civic a guy in the next office over from me drives and its so dam annoying, i wanna run it off the road! and i think the mark VII will be the perfect car to do it in! :steering:

that was some good reading, makes wanting to own one even more intense! lol, sooo tommy, how bout a spin? ill let u drive the 'bird! watcha say? lol :D

awesome price! probably use more than that in gas anyway lol. i cant wait to get the Mark VII, dam alternator just died on the 'bird and im broke lol

The mark VII kicks ass. Its a luxurystang that is lowprofile and loaded with all the bells and whistles. Its not to much heavier but with its longer wheel base she loves to hold the road. Throw a few suspension goodies and a tuneup on her and you'll be good to go. :cool:

Gp423 said:
that was some good reading, makes wanting to own one even more intense! lol, sooo tommy, how bout a spin? ill let u drive the 'bird! watcha say? lol :D

If you have any doubts after Tommy gives you a ride in his LSC...let me give you a ride in the BMNLSC....;)

411342_308_full.jpg

BMN

bmnlsc said:
If you have any doubts after Tommy gives you a ride in his LSC...let me give you a ride in the BMNLSC....;)

411342_308_full.jpg

BMN

WOW that is by far the nicest mark VII ive ever seen! thats one hell of a luxury beast! i think ill have a few doubts after tommy gives me a ride, just because i wanna ride in that beast! i cant wait, i get to see the mark VII tomorrow, and take it for a test run! ill defenitly let u guys know what i think.

Well i took the mark VII out for a spin saturday, and let me tell you im pretty impressed. it doesnt look as agressive as it really is. it handled pretty well too compared to other bigger cars ive driven. (but my uncle also but 235's all around, that could help a bunch). i was also able to light up the tires when i felt the need to from a stop. Very cool car overall. i love all the buttons and special options near the radio(which my uncle ripped out lol). The only thing the car really needs is paint, which ill never do, ill primer it grey and call it a "work in progress" :D oh and the cars not loud enough, i think its time to disconnect the exhaust at the headers!!

the one thing i found odd was the tilt steering wheel is just the wheel and not the whole coloumb(cant spell). but overall its a cool car, i reccomend to all!

Gp423 said:
Well i took the mark VII out for a spin saturday, and let me tell you im pretty impressed. it doesnt look as agressive as it really is. it handled pretty well too compared to other bigger cars ive driven. (but my uncle also but 235's all around, that could help a bunch). i was also able to light up the tires when i felt the need to from a stop. Very cool car overall. i love all the buttons and special options near the radio(which my uncle ripped out lol). The only thing the car really needs is paint, which ill never do, ill primer it grey and call it a "work in progress" :D oh and the cars not loud enough, i think its time to disconnect the exhaust at the headers!!

the one thing i found odd was the tilt steering wheel is just the wheel and not the whole coloumb(cant spell). but overall its a cool car, i reccomend to all!
We have a winnaaa!

Welcome to my world Bro.

When your Mustang friends say that you have, "The Rich Man's Mustang", you tell them that they have, "The Poor Man's Mark VII"!

OldSchool1 said:
We have a winnaaa!

Welcome to my world Bro.

When your Mustang friends say that you have, "The Rich Man's Mustang", you tell them that they have, "The Poor Man's Mark VII"!

awesome i have to use that! ive already got a race against my friends 1970 mach 1 with a 302 and auto. i wish i could race him in my firebird just to show him chevys better but i guess the lincoln will do :D ill hopefully get the car wed or thurs. im already planning on building a cold air kit with instructions i found on another lincoln site. any other starting mods u guys think i could do? i defenitly need an exhaust, the cars too quiet! lol

Adjust your TPS to .97v, advance the timing to about 12* (SPOUT out) and run good gas, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, yadda yadda..

oh so just basic maitinance. alright awesome, thanks for all the help guys! ill defenitly be back here often! :steering

Gp423 said:
oh so just basic maitinance. alright awesome, thanks for all the help guys! ill defenitly be back here often! :steering
Not if you race on the street you won't.

Englishtown has a nice track with bracket racing.

OldSchool1 said:
Not if you race on the street you won't.

Englishtown has a nice track with bracket racing.

im not a fan of street racing unless i know the road thorougly and i know theres no traffic at all, even then im still a little edgy about it, english town is nice ive been there before, too bad its like 3 hours away! maybe on a trip to six flags i can stop by, hmmm.

Members online

No members online now.
Back