Favre to become a Viking!

MonsterMark

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Can't wait to see 'ol Brett wearing purple this year and playing in Lambeau.

Ripping up T.T.'s vaunted 3-4 will be pure joy for me.

Too bad the Williams combo won't be available for the 1st matchup. I would love to see Rogers toss 5 INT's running for his life.

I can feel Favre's vindication. It is so close. I am so happy for him.

The Packers had a chance to put the best man on the field last year and they failed to do so.

When the Packers had the chance to win and win now, they failed to support Favre with the players he needed.

This has been all about the Packers being Ted Thompson's team from day one. Brett Favre was the one guy that always stood in the way. That is why I have supported Favre since day one and still do.

Favre is a dick ... I can't wait until the Bears the Packers and Lions rip him up and put him out of his misery ...

Thursday, May 07, 2009
Brett. Favre.

favre.jpg

posted by GMoney
Those two words have quickly become two of the worst "words" in the English language, haven't they? Any time his name is brought up, you immediately roll your eyes, change the channel, or :q:q:q:q your pants, right? He says that he's done. He fools every writer into believing that. Hell, he even got John Madden to retire out of depression from his departure. Then he convinces the Jets to release him. And then sets up a secret meeting (likely in Hell) with Vikings coach, Von Kaiser. People, this is a done :q:q:q:qing deal. The gunslinger is coming back...again...for the second time. Brett Favre, I guarantee, will be the starting QB for the Vikings in week one.

And surprisingly, I could not be happier.

It's funny to me how Favre can't tell that he sucks. That he's actually worse than Sage Rosenfels now. Sure, "the kid out there" has a greater reward potential, but the risk is even higher. Football's favorite Jewish QB may not be great, but he'll be steady. And it will allow the Vikings to do what they do best: run the football with the best RB on the planet. With Favre running the show, he's going to take at least 6-7 runs away from All Day each game and likely do what he did last year with a 1:1 TD to interception ratio. Teams that are set up like this never win in January.

In essence, Favre will make them worse. I'm not really sure why Vikings fans think that a 40 year old QB makes them NFC favorites anyway. Have they not seen this guy recently? The guy's track record in domes has been suspect, he has proven to not be very good in cold weather anymore, he has been awful in the playoffs for a decade now, and the Vikings have no one for him to throw to except for Visanthe Shiancoe's pants python! I ask you, what is the better option if say you were a Vikings fan:

Favre throws 25-28 times per game, Peterson gets 18-20 carries
Rosenfels throws 18-20 times, All Day gets 25-28 carries

I would take option #2 in a heartbeat. And believe me, I think Rosenfels is quite crappy. The turnovers that each QB will likely be the same (a lot), but wouldn't you want your best player to have the ball in his hands more and not have to worry about stroking some old guy's ego? Makes sense to me. You can win with game managers. Look at the Giants. Their QB is terrible yet they won a Super Bowl in spite of him. In today's NFL, you win titles when your QB checks his attitude at the door and doesn't force things. Who finds the open man and makes plays when he has to. Not really the description of Mr. Wrangler Jeans, is it?

But then again, the Vikings could trade for the '85 Bears (in their primes) and they would still lose because their coach is a :q:q:q:qing idiot. That guy could :q:q:q:q up a cup of coffee.

As I said though, I want this to happen in the worst way. Athletes rarely have this sort of fall from grace like this hillbilly will have. Packers fans still love him...not after he signs with Minnesota. Jets fans kind of like him...not after he uses them to get to the team he wanted to go to last year. Vikings fans will love him...not after he blows a playoff game for them with 4 interceptions. It is going to be sweet. The man, who two years ago everyone loved, will end up walking away from the game again in another year with almost zero fans and a completely destroyed legacy (I hope). This is different from Michael Jordan. He could kind of still play but was surrounded by turd sandwiches. He wanted to put the Wizards back on the map and make them a contender again. Favre is just a mercenary for hire whose best days ended in 1999.

He really is a sack of :q:q:q:q who only looks out for #1. He doesn't give a :q:q:q:q about his teammates or the organizations that he latex fists. It's all Brett, all the time. Other than the fact that Vikings fans will have to train themselves to root for Favre and another season of Brett embarrassing himself, at least we can now officially eliminate the Vikings as a potential Super Bowl contender. Because they aren't going anywhere with #4 throwing deep balls into quadruple coverage. It's always nice to get that out of the way.

Welcome back, Brett. Here's one person that is welcoming you with open arms! And if I can give you one piece of advice it would be this...just keep chuckin' that football into triple coverage. Nothing beats that. But make sure that you cry at your third retirement press conference this coming February...it wouldn't be winter without it.

http://gmoneysack.blogspot.com/2009/05/brett-favre.html

A little less hate-filled post can be read here.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-8-132/Projecting-Favre-s-impact.html

Brett Favre's televised interview Monday night brought some on-the-record clarity to his courtship with Minnesota: If his arm heals from surgery as expected, Favre wants to sign with the Vikings later this summer. And based on some of his comments -- including, "We should be pretty good" -- I think it's fair to say he believes it will happen.

So it's not too soon to start asking some competitive questions. How would Favre's return affect the NFC North? To what extent, if any, will he elevate the Vikings? And how would they fare if Favre has a setback and remains retired?

There are many ways to address those questions, from both qualitative and quantitative standpoints. Subjectively, many media observers have chosen Chicago as the trendy offseason pick to leapfrog Minnesota and win the division after its acquisition of quarterback Jay Cutler. Intuitively, the addition of Favre would seem to return the advantage to Minnesota. [snip]

Got to Projecting Favre's Impact for more info.

The Packers had a chance to put the best man on the field last year and they failed to do so.

You sure about that? I know a lot of people don't like A. Rodgers but you put Favre's numbers up next to his last year and their not even close.
Favre threw like 22 pics last year if I'm not mistaken, but that's an average year for him anywayz:D

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be fun to watch if he puts on purple.

One game will be REAL fun to watch......Love to see how the lambeau crowd reacts.

OBTW Rich....The Bears Suck :D

I couldn't care less about Favre or the Packers, so coming from an objective source...

Favre is crapping on the fans. He wants to beat his old team because he believes they shafted him. In doing so, he is ruining his 16 year legacy as a Packers icon. Minnesota is HATED by Packer fan. Even Chicago would have been tolerable. It's understandable that Packer fan will hate Favre and even hope that he is 'Theismanned.'

It's understandable that Packer fan will ... even hope that he is 'Theismanned.'
No. It's not. Not even remotely. I don't care how rabid of a "fan" you are, hoping for a player to be injured is beyond the pale.

but you put Favre's numbers up next to his last year

Take a look at his first 11 games before he got hurt if you want to make a fair comparison.

Let's see...
2007 13-3
2008 08-3
Total 21-6 his last 2 years before he gets hurt.

Packers with Favre 2007...13-3
Packers without Favre 2008...6-10

Jets without Favre 2007...4-12
Jets with Favre 2008...9-7

'Nough said!

I couldn't care less about Favre or the Packers, so coming from an objective source...

Favre is crapping on the fans. He wants to beat his old team because he believes they shafted him. In doing so, he is ruining his 16 year legacy as a Packers icon. Minnesota is HATED by Packer fan. Even Chicago would have been tolerable. It's understandable that Packer fan will hate Favre and even hope that he is 'Theismanned.'

I don't think any Packer fan would want to see Favre in Black.
The Bear's have been hated by the Packer fans forever.
The first time they played was 1921....40 years before Minnesota had a team.
The cheese head's that I know Hate the Bears more then any team, Minnesota would be next in line.

No. It's not. Not even remotely. I don't care how rabid of a "fan" you are, hoping for a player to be injured is beyond the pale.

I agree 100% nobody wants to see a player hurt....knocked out maybe. ;)

Favre is crapping on the fans.

I've met Favre a bunch of times. Even driven him home drunk as a skunk at 4 in the morning. At the end of the day, he is just like us. An ordinary guy that happens to be an athlete.

That said.

The fans don't own Favre. Favre doesn't own or owe the fans. I know I'm in the minority of Packer fans on the Favre divide but I think I'm on the right side.

The Packers had a chance to put him on the field. They elected not to. And when they tried to toss him into the trash can and he resisted, they would have sent him to Siberia if they could have.

So if anybody crapped on anybody, it was the Packers on Favre, not the other way around.

Favre has listened to good advice. Play as long as you can. Play until nobody wants to pay you to play. At this point, it appears that there is at least one NFL team willing to pay him to play. This is America for pete's sake. What the Packers tried to do was unethical in my book. They should have given him his unconditional release. He owed the Packers nothing. He is the reason the Packers regained their glory after decades of decay.

So as long as Favre is willing to play and someone is willing to pay, I'm willing to watch. The games are exciting. Win or Lose. TD or Interception. He is good for the game.

Favre asked for all the pieces in Green Bay. Ted Thompson failed to deliver. Look for Minnesota to make a move at Tight End and Wide Receiver to complement Favre.

With Percy Harvin ready to stretch the field and the defense playing the run, Favre with his quick release can kill the secondary.

The Vikings needed a right offensive tackle and they got one of the best...Phil "The Load" Loadholt from Oklahoma. Instant starter. Will create hugh gaps for Peterson off tackle.

The Viks needed a QB. Favre fills the gap needed to win now. Next year they draft a QB. The 2 clowns they have now aren't ready for prime time.

I think there fine at TE with Visanthe Shiancoe.

http://www.vikings.com/TeamPlayerProfile_visanthe_shiancoe.aspx

Professional Biography
Burst onto Vikings scene in 2008 with career-best season, catching 7 TDs in the final 14 regular season games...Led NFC TEs and ranked 3rd among NFL TEs with 7 TDs, matching WR Bernard Berrian for the Vikings lead...Has blocked for a 1,200+ yard rusher in each of his 6 NFL seasons...Durable vet who has not missed a game in his 6 NFL seasons, playing in 96 regular season games and 3 playoff contests…Part of the Vikings 2008 NFC North title and Giants 2005 NFC East championship team…Giants advanced to the playoffs in 2005 and 2006…Helped RB Tiki Barber rush for over 1,200 yards in each of his 4 seasons in New York…Helped Barber rush for the top 3 single-season totals in team history and for 5 of the top 6 single-game rushing totals in the Giants record book…A 3rd-round pick (#91) by the Giants in 2002.

They might make a move for a possession receiver,they have enough speed.
I don't know if Sidney Rice could get the job done, but Favre has done more with less.

That is if he plays....I will believe it when he is in camp.

I agree 100% nobody wants to see a player hurt....knocked out maybe. ;)
Yeah, most fans want to see the opposing QB take a beating during the course of the game, but that's different from wanting to see him get injured. I guaran-damn-tee you that nobody on the Packers' roster wants to see that happen, and I'd wager that's the last thing almost all Packers fans want to see, too.

Favre is going to fall flat on his face next season.

I'm definitely not objective on this. As for his falling on his face....

How do you measure that?
Stats?
Record?
Games played: Ie: Playoffs?

Vikes were 10-6 last year without Favre.
How do you measure this season???

Let's do it!!!!

Vikings 2009 Schedule...
13 September - Vikings at Browns
20 September - Vikings at Lions
27 September - 49ers at Vikings
5 October - Packers at Vikings
11 October - Vikings at Rams
18 October - Ravens at Vikings
25 October - Vikings at Steelers
1 November - Vikings at Packers
BYE WEEK
15 November - Lions at Vikings
22 November - Seahawks at Vikings
29 November - Bears at Vikings
6 December - Vikings at Cardinals
13 December - Bengals at Vikings
20 December - Vikings at Panthers
28 December - Vikings at Bears
3 January 10 - Giants at Vikings

I like this guys' comparison.

1) Since the Vikings have been indoors they have been in 23 playoff games in 27 years( .85 playoff games per year).
Brett Favre in 15 years with the Packers has been in 22 (1.46 per year).

2) 6 times the indoor Vikings lost their first playoff game (more than a 1/4 of their playoff appearances). Brett Favre only lost the opening round of the playoffs 3 times.

3) The indoor Vikings are 6-5 in Wild Card Games (.545), Brett Favre is 5-3 in Wild Card Games (,625). Better than the Vikings.

4) The indoor Vikings are 3-6 in Divisional Playoff Games (.333) Brett Favre is 4-4 in Divisional Playoff Games (.500); clearly better than the Vikings.

5) Brett Favre is 2-2 in Conference Championships. The indoor Vikings are 0-3.

6) Brett Favre is 1-1 in Super Bowls. The indoor Vikings have never been there.

Brett Favre’s playoff record is better than Peyton Manning’s 7-7 (3-2 Wild Card, 2-4 Divisional Round, 1-1 Conference, 1-0 Super Bowl).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And 2 years ago he was 13-3 and one play away from the Super Bowl
and 1 year ago he was 8-3 with a 4-12 team before he hurt his arm.

Destiny is the question. Will the season turn out to be Favre-erlous and Favre rides into the sunset or end in Favre-ageddon, where the team fractures with his arrival and fails to make the playoffs. If they embrace the guy, they have all the tools to go all the way. If they split before he hits training camp in August, look out for trouble in VikQueen country.

And this guy hits it on the head also...

"If Ted Thompson is laughing, he’s a moron. The Packers went from 13-3 to 6-10 when he dumped Brett. He knows he’s on the verge of losing his job. Why do you think he traded up in the draft, something he never does? He knows he needs help this season or his ass is going to be on the street. No matter how bad Brett was down the stretch, the Jets finished 9-7 after going 4-12 the year before. I’d say Brett is kicking Thompson’s ass already."

I'm definitely not objective on this. As for his falling on his face....

How do you measure that?
Stats?
Record?
Games played: Ie: Playoffs?
I'm using his last season with the Jets and the fact that he was unable to finish. The guy is done.

Take a look at his first 11 games before he got hurt if you want to make a fair comparison.

Let's see...
2007 13-3
2008 08-3
Total 21-6 his last 2 years before he gets hurt.

Packers with Favre 2007...13-3
Packers without Favre 2008...6-10

Jets without Favre 2007...4-12
Jets with Favre 2008...9-7

'Nough said!

Let us not forget, in 2007 the Pack defense was 11th in the league.
Both Al Harris and Woodie were healthy and were locking
dudes up at the corners. Nick Barnett had a monster year also. Fast forward to '08 and both Woodie and Harris are hurt off and on during the year and the defense dropped to 21st in the league. A lot of things happened on the other side of the ball that lead to a few of those losses so I don't think you can compare the two years quite honestly. We both know D wins rings.
As far as last year, I'll give you that he helped the Jets ,but that whole division was down. How many games did the dolphins win in that division with the freakin wildcat! Mr. Brady was also knocked out in week 1 and that had some bearing on other teams in that division having success

I like this guys' comparison.

1) Since the Vikings have been indoors they have been in 23 playoff games in 27 years( .85 playoff games per year).
Brett Favre in 15 years with the Packers has been in 22 (1.46 per year).

2) 6 times the indoor Vikings lost their first playoff game (more than a 1/4 of their playoff appearances). Brett Favre only lost the opening round of the playoffs 3 times.

3) The indoor Vikings are 6-5 in Wild Card Games (.545), Brett Favre is 5-3 in Wild Card Games (,625). Better than the Vikings.

4) The indoor Vikings are 3-6 in Divisional Playoff Games (.333) Brett Favre is 4-4 in Divisional Playoff Games (.500); clearly better than the Vikings.

5) Brett Favre is 2-2 in Conference Championships. The indoor Vikings are 0-3.

6) Brett Favre is 1-1 in Super Bowls. The indoor Vikings have never been there.

Brett Favre’s playoff record is better than Peyton Manning’s 7-7 (3-2 Wild Card, 2-4 Divisional Round, 1-1 Conference, 1-0 Super Bowl).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And 2 years ago he was 13-3 and one play away from the Super Bowl

and 1 year ago he was 8-3 with a 4-12 team before he hurt his arm.

Destiny is the question. Will the season turn out to be Favre-erlous and Favre rides into the sunset or end in Favre-ageddon, where the team fractures with his arrival and fails to make the playoffs. If they embrace the guy, they have all the tools to go all the way. If they split before he hits training camp in August, look out for trouble in VikQueen country.

I think (and I might me mistaken) but doesn't Favre suck indoors? I really don't believe he has a winning record in a dome actually.
The one play away from the Super Bowl, wasn't that against the Giants where he threw a pick right to their corner in OT?
He also has the most playoff losses and most playoff interceptions, if my Sportscenter memory serves me correctly:)
Favre is the alltime leader in both touchdowns and interceptions. That's who he is. I've found him enjoyable to watch over the years.
Somtimes he's great, hell some seasons he's great, and sometimes he makes you wonder WTF was he thinking?

Members online

Back