Faux windows

MarkEricRoth

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a couple of questions regarding the faux windows on the doors between the the door windows.
1. How do you clean them? At home I've tried car wash, soap and dish detergent. I tried Ammonia free Windex, regular Windex, 91% isopropal alcohol and paint thinner on cars at the salvage yard and non of them can get the scum off of these panels, which i'm pretty sure are stainless steel with some sort of black coating on them. Since they are supposed to look like glass I don't want to use any kind of abrasive and wind up scratching them.
2. How do you replace them? Our right rear has some damage that I suspect was caused by someone trying to pry the front door open. Replacing the door is not an acceptable answer!

If you have access to a makita high rpm buffer/sander, styrofoam pad, chrome polish (my go to polish) and see if it'll buff out. If not sand paper, tape, piano black and clear they'll for sure look like new.

I want to thank you guys for the suggestions. I remembered that years (okay, decades) ago I was helping my brother in law clean a hospital kitchen and he had a stainless steel cleaner that smelled VERY strongly of bananas. So I tried the rubbery side of a banana peel and it took out the blotchy rainbows on my dinged panel. Then I tried Linc's idea of chrome cleaner and got the same result. Then, just because I hadn't tried it before, McGuires Show Car Glaze. It too removed the blotchy rainbows, however, none of them put anything remotely resembling a shine on the panel. I'll try putting some more elbow grease into this weekend just to placate my curiosity, because I have already decided that new panels suggested by Joe will be the quickest, easiest and least expensive solution to both issues. I could buy a door for less than the $60 asking price at Harry's of Hazleton (www.wegotused.com), but panels are a lot less work!

I just ordered those panels. Good things come to those who wait, the price had dropped to $49! There are only 2 left now.

Members online

No members online now.
Back