fast car

mcafferty

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I need your guys help. I want to build a fast very fast car. one that will be in the 10-11 sec 1/4 mile. I want it to be a project car but want a good base to start with. I know many of you have other cars that are much faster then your ls. I want the car to be streetable also. not so much in to rice but they seem so cheap to mod. is it posible to get in to the 10 with a car that is NA. thanks for your help and input...

mcafferty said:
I need your guys help. I want to build a fast very fast car. one that will be in the 10-11 sec 1/4 mile. I want it to be a project car but want a good base to start with. I know many of you have other cars that are much faster then your ls. I want the car to be streetable also. not so much in to rice but they seem so cheap to mod. is it posible to get in to the 10 with a car that is NA. thanks for your help and input...

WOW What a loaded question I mean to make a 10-11sec car thats streetable is going to be interesting. My good friend from college drag races, heck his whole family does and I used roll with them to the strip. He has a 87 Mustang with a big block Ford, on full 100 shot NOS, tubbed and gutted out and I belive last I spoke with him he was running solid 10.49 but could run 9.30 in a heartbeat he just didnt want to run under 10 cause its a whole nother league. Oh yeah its street legal has plates and all he just has to lift it slap on the exhaust and he can drive it around with about 3 cops behind us too. HAHA Good luck!

-Scott-

There are LS6 GM's out there that will run 11's all day long. Although easy to do, they are fairly expensive to get to that level of performance.

Here's the best recipe I can give you for that level of performance:

Buy an 03/04 Cobra. Add a CAI, catback, pulley, and tune. That should cost you somewhere in the neighborhood of a grand and will easily get you in the 11's. You may have to add a set of rear tires to do that though...you will fry the stockers.

If that's not enough for you, take the blower off and have it ported. To do that and the throttle body should be somewhere around $750. Again, you will need to have the car tuned. That will get you somewhere around mid to low 11's.

Still not satisfied? Bolt on a Whipple or Kenne Bell. That will probably require fuel and MAF sensor upgrades too. Properly prepared, that could get you into the 10's. Those blowers can be found for around $3000 used, about $800 more new. This should easily get you over the 600 hp mark.

With all these mods done, the car is still 100% streetable and you haven't had to touch the inside of the motor. The stock motor can handle that kind of hp easily if you don't lose your mind with your new found power. But at 600 hp, if you go insane and run the thing to 170 mph for a while, you can have issues. Normal driving and the occasional drag race shouldn't be a problem. If you are serious about drag racing the car, I would pull the IRS and go to a straight axle. They are a bolt in swap and won't cost a lot to do if you sell your IRS to one of the Mustang guys who want to go twistie racing. There are quite a few that do...

Good luck!!

P.S. By the way...an 11 second car is very common these days on the street. In fact, there are several 10 second cars running around here. A few Cobras...Supras...Vipers...Z06's. The reason I say this is because you stated you want to build a "very fast" car. My God...you would think that a 10 or 11 second car is scary fast...and I guess it really is...but it seems EVERYONE is doing that now!!!

Is it possible to get a car into the 10's N/A? I know of a few mustangs in the mid 9's ALL MOTOR. These mustangs I speak of are running in a class where the MAXIMUM displacement is 310 ci. How's that for moving.

Dead President said:
Is it possible to get a car into the 10's N/A? I know of a few mustangs in the mid 9's ALL MOTOR. These mustangs I speak of are running in a class where the MAXIMUM displacement is 310 ci. How's that for moving.

But he claims he wants it completely streetable. Any car running 310 cubic inches n/a in the 9's is NOT streetable. No way no how. It's probably a tube car that weighs in around 2600 lbs...or less and runs the motor to insane rpm's with hugely wild camshafts. I can take my Cobra (over 500 rwhp and torque) across town or across the country with the a/c on, satellite radio playing, and my wife next to me carrying on a conversation in a normal tone of voice...and still have the nuts to take care of a lot of wannabees out there. Of course, there are a lot of cars that will hand my my ass too!!!

Third generation F-body (Camaro/Firebird)...swap in a ZZ 502ci crate motor n/a...toy withit a bit and she'll make massive amounts of Hp/TQ.

FreeFaller said:
Third generation F-body (Camaro/Firebird)...swap in a ZZ 502ci crate motor n/a...toy withit a bit and she'll make massive amounts of Hp/TQ.

Yep! Good recipe!! I'm not sure the crate motor will get you into the 10's by itself...but it sure should be close. But that motor ain't cheap either!!

Also, you couldn't make that emissions legal...therefore it couldn't be considered "streetable". Well..it would be until he had to have it smogged or inspected!!

2001LS8Sport said:
Yep! Good recipe!! I'm not sure the crate motor will get you into the 10's by itself...but it sure should be close. But that motor ain't cheap either!!

Also, you couldn't make that emissions legal...therefore it couldn't be considered "streetable". Well..it would be until he had to have it smogged or inspected!!

That's when it is nice to be in the military and be an out of state resident. I could have a 502 w/no smog and still get it registered since there is no way for California to inspect it out here in Illinois... ain't cheating grand :wrench

1970 Nova
Backhalfed Car , narrowed dana 60 rear , coil overs , 456 gears ,
6 point cage , sheet metal and tubbed
full set of weld wheels 15x14 / 15x3.5
$ 5000 318-368-4936

New Big Block Chevy 427 Roller Motor
12.5 trw pistons, 700 lift crane roller ,crane solid lifters
Balanced and blue printed $ 3500
just saw that on some web site

You said project car..... "Now get er done"

981970nova.jpg

That is definitely not what I would call a street car, but it is one helluva project to take out Saturday nights!! Good find Motts! Someone will jump all over it for that price!!

2001LS8Sport said:
That is definitely not what I would call a street car, but it is one helluva project to take out Saturday nights!! Good find Motts! Someone will jump all over it for that price!!

I have a few others, I'll post.. brb :Beer

Could always do somethign different and go with a truck...
1998 S-10 Show or Go
LT-1 350 RAM AIR Installed
6 SPD W/BED 10,500

98s1023.jpg

1973 Chevy Camaro Z/28 - 454 4-bolt. 600 HP street legal. Extremely well maintained, showing minimal wear, interior & exterior paint are in no need of reconditioning. $18,000. 916-879-0515 (1st pic)

1969 SS Camaro clone, yellow with black Z28 stipes. 327 cu in bored 30 over, 350 turbo with shift kit, B&M shifter, 2500 stall. New interior. Restoration done in 1997. Very nice car. $18,500. shammhd@aol.com or 937-698-6534
(2nd pic)

73_Camaro_14.jpg

69_Camaro_88.jpg

WOW!! I'm a Ford guy through and through. My mother owned a dealership for over 20 years. When I cut myself, I bleed blue. I really do. But I would KILL to have a 69 Camaro. I just love those cars. I just don't know what I would do once I owned it. I couldn't stand Chevy juice dripping in my garage...or letting anyone in my family see it. Guess I could put a car cover on it and a paper sack over my head when I drove it!

Motts... this sounds a lot like one I helped to build! but it has a 12 bolt w/spool, not a dana 60.

1970 Nova
Backhalfed Car , narrowed dana 60 rear , coil overs , 456 gears ,
6 point cage , sheet metal and tubbed
full set of weld wheels 15x14 / 15x3.5
$ 5000 318-368-4936

The motive force is the one I help build is a 509" crate motor from World Engines, Normally aspirated, t400 trans (built to take the punishment). It does low 11's with a crappy driver at wheel....

Rumor has it he wants to sell it, but I don't think its advertised anywhere

It is definately possible, but how much are you going to spend and what features do you want? I drive my car a very limited amount on the street due to the trans (could easily put another T-5 in it to drive more often) and it weights 3,120 w/ me in it and will run 10.60's. It's a NA 306 with full exhaust, full interior, but no a/c, power steering or power brakes. It all depends on what you're willing to give up....

Members online

No members online now.
Back