Fans go on as soon as I start up the engine --- What's that about ?

last yr conti

LVC Member
Reaction score
Just picked up this '02 yesterday and it will clean up nice. Have a couple issues to deal with that don't seem too tough I hope. As soon as I start the engine the low speed fans goes on and within a few more seconds the high speed kick in. I'm thinking it's a sensor or relay or ??? Thanks for help. Later.

I think it's a quirk. After working on my air conditioning mine did that too for no reason. I have a elm 327 adapter and torque lite on my phone. Even though the dash temp gauge was showing the temperature when I monitored the temp for a couple of minutes with Torque it went back to normal operation. This happened to me twice over the course of my repairs and both times it fixed it.

I just read your other post about the gauge fluttering. That may be linked to your fans running. Bad temperature sensor maybe.

Check to see if you have blown a fuse/relay. Next check the coolant temp sensor I believe it is on the coolant crossover tube the tube which is facing firewall. The sensor should be at the bottom near the alternator.

Thanks guys, I'll check out your suggestions. I'm def. hopping it's just a sensor or fuse. Seems to be all related.

The check engine light is also on, so I'll deal with gauge and fan issues first.

Last thing for now will also be recharging A/C. Later.

try disconnecting the ECT sensor (as posted above) if the fan continues to run then it's busted. Time for a new one.

Thanks, thanks, thanks guys. Well I was checking the temp sensor at location where you guys described and guess what, it was broken and just hanging there. I picked up the $12. part down the street and installed yesterday.

I was amazed at what that little sensor controls, the temp gauge now works as it should, the fans cycle on and off correctly and the A/C now blows cold. I was having visions of taking it to an elec. shop for diag. but damn this was an easy fix.

Only real issue I have now is the check engine light, don't know if the sensor also trigger the light so I'll unhook battery for a few hours to reset and see what happens.

Saved me from a headache guys. Later.

Well I ended up having the battery unhooked over night for 12 hrs. Connected in morning and dash light was reset.

Drove the Conti for just over 100 miles and everything was still good. (averaged 23 mpg, nice)

Today I was able to get car smogged and passed with no issue.

I was even more surprised from all what that temp sensor triggered .

I'm pretty excited to having all these issues fixed relatively easy. Later.

Members online

No members online now.
Back