Factory Moonroof Switch 97 TC SS

GreenJay

New LVC Member
Reaction score
My 97 TC's factory moonroof switch has broken again. It has broken a number of times (at least 3-4) since I bought the car new in 97. Each time it broke I brought it to the dealer and they repaired it for free under the extended warranty. It always seems to be the same problem, the rocker switch which controls the moonroof seems to become free-floating, like it loses its connection to the guts of the electrical whatever. Some of the time, the rocker switch has actually broken off from the box/headliner. It's the same this time too for the most part, it seems the rocker switch works to vent the MR, but the backside of the rocker switch won't close it. I can hear the switch/electric click when I press the open/vent, but there is no sound when I press the backside of the rocker switch to close from the vented position (feels free-floating). Needless to say I'm stuck in open/vented position. I have the 97 CD to "guide" me but I was wondering if anyone has had similar MR problems as me, and how you fixed it. To me it seems like a crappy design, one that is prone to breaking, and I'm not hard on a car at all. I'd take it to the dealer to fix but I'm out of work with no prospects on the horizon! I'm located in the Boston area if there are any reputable/reasonable repair shops to recommend, or if it is a fairly simple repair I could probably manage myself with some help from boyfriend when he is not busy with his own job. The car is not garaged, but is covered. Thanks in advance!!

i hated it when my sunrrof switch broke in my continetal but the entire plastic switch broke off 95 continetal no warranty 450 for new part from dealer
i found it in a junkyard for 50 dollars difrent color then old one in car

ive had this problem several times on my 97 tc it is just the plastin on the rocker switch that breaks... making it "free floating" you can replace it with a stronger one from the dealer as i have done for about 65 dollars and put it in your self or you can got to a junk yard and take just the rocker switches off all the tc's with sun roofs you can find and replace them as the break... from my experience even the stronger ones from the dealer break... mine just broke the other day which is why i picked up 2 extras.. junkyard cost .75 cents a peice.

Thanks towncarss for the info! Is it difficult/tricky to replace the plastic switch?

not shure how it is on the town car
but on the continental you just unscrew the
roof councle
and replace the switch and then put the stuff back up

:L
GreenJay said:
Thanks towncarss for the info! Is it difficult/tricky to replace the plastic switch?

no it pretty you simply pull that whole interior light assembly out ( carefully) and remove the sunroof switch from the back ( the part that would be covered by headliner if it was in place) there are 2 options.. you can replace just the plastic rocker switch by just slipping it in place or you can replace the switch from the connector back... but it is about a 2 on a 1-10 scale very easy to do for me

towncarss said:
:L

no it pretty you simply pull that whole interior light assembly out ( carefully) and remove the sunroof switch from the back ( the part that would be covered by headliner if it was in place) there are 2 options.. you can replace just the plastic rocker switch by just slipping it in place or you can replace the switch from the connector back... but it is about a 2 on a 1-10 scale very easy to do for me

sorry about the confusing response i type slower than i think LOL
that should have said "it's pretty simple"

your lucky with the town car when i when for the part for the continental the dealer sed i have to buy the entire unite they dont sell just the parts

I have had the switch break too. I have a spare though. the first time it was only the plastic button that broke, and i ended up with the whole assembly from ford. I know you can just get the plastic switch.
Where in the boston area are you.
Im in Billerica MA.

im in worcester...
i have never gotten just the button itself from ford... which is all that breaks i havegotten the entire assembly with wire and all from ford for about 65 dollars..

HEY WHOS GOING TO THE FALL CRUISE NIGHT WE ARE TRYING TO PLAN???

towncarss said:
im in worcester...
i have never gotten just the button itself from ford... which is all that breaks i havegotten the entire assembly with wire and all from ford for about 65 dollars..

HEY WHOS GOING TO THE FALL CRUISE NIGHT WE ARE TRYING TO PLAN???

Thanks Towncarss! I'll check Ford and the junkyards.

Where and when?

Ok, here it is! Herer are the numbers. The part number for JUST THE PLASTIC TOGGLE BUTTON for the moon roof switch is: F7VZ-13B778-AA. That's the little black button. I talked with the service manager at the dealership. He didn't know the button could be ordered by itself. Thanks to Johnathon at the parts counter for working with me on this. The part number for the switch (which is just the switch, not the housing, lights etc.) is: F7VZ-15B691-BA. Of course this has a button attached. keep spares on hand!
Just the plastic toggle switch for the car is only availbe in black from ford. So you are :q:q:q:q out of luck when it comes to colors.

me to. if i dont sell my car, or have a newer Cartier.

Sold the 95 a few days ago.

If i had nothing id take my moms town Car.

1995towncar said:
Ok, here it is! Herer are the numbers. The part number for JUST THE PLASTIC TOGGLE BUTTON for the moon roof switch is: F7VZ-13B778-AA. That's the little black button. I talked with the service manager at the dealership. He didn't know the button could be ordered by itself. Thanks to Johnathon at the parts counter for working with me on this. The part number for the switch (which is just the switch, not the housing, lights etc.) is: F7VZ-15B691-BA. Of course this has a button attached. keep spares on hand!
Just the plastic toggle switch for the car is only availbe in black from ford. So you are :q:q:q:q out of luck when it comes to colors.

1995towncar thanks for the part numbers!!!!! I'll be ordering some spare buttons ASAP. The last time the switch/button (not sure if they did the switch but I know they did the button) was replaced was under warranty and I got a black one then. The black switch has lasted the longest of any of them. What dealership did you go to for the part numbers? I bought my car at Clark&White in Newton, but I don't need to go there for the parts. Thanks again for the 411! :Beer :yourock:

I got it either at Gervias LM in lowell or Iversen Ford billerica. I got them a while ago, and posted it on another forum.

I had this trouble with my TC 1997 and fixed it myself. I bought a 6 pin switch on - off - on and made it fit. Cost me 2.99$ and about 1 hour of time to make it fit on the roof trim between the 2 lights. I'm pretty sure it will last longer than the original. I heard a lot of people having bad luck with those switches so I was just sharing my experience !

Members online

No members online now.
Back