Factory amp

The ls ss

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, so my Ls has the factory subs, but does it have a seperate external amp for the 4 door speakers?

What year and which audio system. If not 2nd gen and THX navigation, I don't think so.
The 2nd gen 4-channel amp (THX nav only) is in trunk, on the driver's side wall, behind the trim.

Its a first gen.
What year and which audio system. If not 2nd gen and THX navigation, I don't think so.
The 2nd gen 4-channel amp (THX nav only) is in trunk, on the driver's side wall, behind the trim.
That explain it, because I had seen a thread in which a guy had a factory amp on the driver's side wheel well in the trunk. I do not have one there, so I was curious if they had placed it somewhere else. Thank you very much.

K, kinda dumb question, but I am trying to get my speakers installed and cannot find much info online. Okay, I have an older amp that is 100w x4. It has a high level input and a low level input. Now, I cannot find a high level input wire harness that fits it, so the question is whether I can use a high-low level converter and use rca to get signal to the amp. The rca input on the amp is low level. I want to hook this amp up to the 4 door speakers, is this gonna work, or is the amp going to only send low level to the door speakers?

Impossible to answer without knowing your amp.
The whole purpose of an amp is to take a low power signal and drive speakers with it, so why/how would it "only send low level to the door speakers" unless it is some sort of specialty amp?
What head unit are you using? Stock or aftermarket? Brand? Model?

Impossible to answer without knowing your amp.
The whole purpose of an amp is to take a low power signal and drive speakers with it, so why/how would it "only send low level to the door speakers" unless it is some sort of specialty amp?
What head unit are you using? Stock or aftermarket? Brand? Model?
It is the stock Ls head. The amp is a Jensen a4320. I figured low level input meant low frequency, like the bass.

Typically, low level means audio signal, such as on RCAs, and high level means speaker level signals. Your stock headunit has no low level outputs, except for the sub output and the center channel output (if you have the 12 speaker system). You will have to use speaker level converters to drive the low level inputs or use the high level inputs of you amp.

So can I use a High-low level converter attached to the speaker wire outputs of the head unit, and run it to the low level input of the amp, then run speaker wire out to the 4 door speakers?

Kind of doing something similar on my son's Jeep.
Just a little info on what he has.
He has a factory head unit and a factory amp and is adding an aftermarket amp for his 4 door speakers.
What we had to do to make it work was locate the factory amp speaker output wires and run them to a "Line Converter". Audio Control Lc7i.
What this little guy does is takes your high output (Coming out of the factory amp to speaker wires) and converts it to low output RCA.
From the Line converter (Lc7i), the RCA's go into the input side of the aftermarket amp.

Now, if you don't have a factory amp, then the outputs on your Factory head unit (Which should go directly to your door speakers) will be high outputs and these are the wires that you will need to plug into your hi/low line converter like the "Audio Control Lc7i".

I do believe "Yes" is the answer you seek.

I hope this helps.

Kind of doing something similar on my son's Jeep.
Just a little info on what he has.
He has a factory head unit and a factory amp and is adding an aftermarket amp for his 4 door speakers.
What we had to do to make it work was locate the factory amp speaker output wires and run them to a "Line Converter". Audio Control Lc7i.
What this little guy does is takes your high output (Coming out of the factory amp to speaker wires) and converts it to low output RCA.
From the Line converter (Lc7i), the RCA's go into the input side of the aftermarket amp.

Now, if you don't have a factory amp, then the outputs on your Factory head unit (Which should go directly to your door speakers) will be high outputs and these are the wires that you will need to plug into your hi/low line converter like the "Audio Control Lc7i".

I do believe "Yes" is the answer you seek.

I hope this helps.
That helps, but I am just double checking, the low level input IS NOT the low frequencies? Thank you guys very much, as I have never dealt with car amps, and wanted to be sure before spending a bunch of time trying things.

That helps, but I am just double checking, the low level input IS NOT the low frequencies? Thank you guys very much, as I have never dealt with car amps, and wanted to be sure before spending a bunch of time trying things.

It's different. You are probably thinking cross-overs..Hi-pass and low-pass. The "cross-over settings, hi and low pass settings" have to do with changing the frequencies to your speakers.
The low/high level inputs on your amp is where your amp gets its signal from the radio. These usually have a (Gain/Sensitivity) setting on them so that you can fine-tune the output (Wires that go to the speakers). Too much input gain and the amp and/or speakers fry.

Here's a video and there's plenty more where that came from, that go into detail on how to install/setup your aftermarket amp, figure out how speaker ohms and wattage relate to amplifier output wattage.

It's different. You are probably thinking cross-overs..Hi-pass and low-pass. The "cross-over settings, hi and low pass settings" have to do with changing the frequencies to your speakers.
The low/high level inputs on your amp is where your amp gets its signal from the radio. These usually have a (Gain/Sensitivity) setting on them so that you can fine-tune the output (Wires that go to the speakers). Too much input gain and the amp and/or speakers fry.

Here's a video and there's plenty more where that came from, that go into detail on how to install/setup your aftermarket amp, figure out how speaker ohms and wattage relate to amplifier output wattage.

Ok, thanks, wanted to clear that up.

Members online

No members online now.
Back