Factory 6 Disc Changer vs. Ipod

cannons_custom

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Wondering whether anybody has put one of those ipod line in's to the back of the factory stereo. I'm sick of the fake supercharger noise that I get through my speakers running my ipod through a cassete in. Wondering if the sound is that much better with it connected directly to the back of the stereo. The only issue is I will lose my 6 disc changer and not be able to play cds in my car anymore.

Second off is the Alpine factory stereo worth upgrading to versus the stock non Alpine stereo I have in there now?

Any help of oppinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have a Kenwood indash nav,dvd,bluetooth, and ipod connection and the results are amazing. I can even watch my ipod videos while driving in widescreen clarity :-D Ipod connection is a must! :-D

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00032.jpg

PIE has an adapter. You won't lose the CD player. I added an ipod dock to the lower trim piece, under the ashtray. See here.

I have the Stock thx nav on my ls and I added the ipod connection. Its charges it and plays through the spearkers directly. Sounds sick!!! cd quality or better. And I can control it with the steering wheel controls too.

whoa, people still use CD's, if you own an Ipod, cd's are pretty much useless and just take up space, ditch the changer and get an Ipod hook up, i would even take the changer out and get a regular glove box out of a junk yard to regain a little more storage room.

and yes a direct connection will sound a hell of a lot better than a cassette adapter

I have the Stock thx nav on my ls and I added the ipod connection. Its charges it and plays through the spearkers directly. Sounds sick!!! cd quality or better. And I can control it with the steering wheel controls too.

Info on how you did this please?

Yep. Although I will say that CD's are nice hard copies, in case your itunes crashes.

I have an A/V input in the back of my kenwood dvd player, so I just bought an A/V wire for my ipod, used the white base I bought it with (although I painted it flat black). I custom mounted it in front of the ashtray:

ipod3.jpg

ipodprocess9.jpg

ipodcable2.jpg

ipod2.jpg

06LS with factory nav/THX. Swapped out the HU for a Pioneer AVIC Z110BT w/iPod classic 160GB.
I'll take the new HU any day of the week. No pics because my setup is still a little half-assed. Need some time this weekend to put things absolutely right.

I can't imagine going back to CD's after having a 120 GB iPod in the car with voice activation control from a Pioneer F90BT H/U. The biggest challenge becomes "what the heck do I want to listen to out of 60 Gb worth of MP3's?

TRU - iConnected my iPod, therefore iRock

06LS with factory nav/THX. Swapped out the HU for a Pioneer AVIC Z110BT w/iPod classic 160GB.
I'll take the new HU any day of the week. No pics because my setup is still a little half-assed. Need some time this weekend to put things absolutely right.

How does the navigation from the Z110BT compare to the factory nav? One of the big complaints that I have about the F90 in my 04 is that it doesn't seem to know which way the car is pointed when it is not moving. The factory nav in my 04 is always pointing in the right direction, even when parked.

I love the stock nav. You keep your stock look with a simlpe and easy to use nav. yeah it lacks some functions that the new hi-tech aftermarket nav offer, but still its a great nav.I just have to update the cd I have.

How does the navigation from the Z110BT compare to the factory nav? One of the big complaints that I have about the F90 in my 04 is that it doesn't seem to know which way the car is pointed when it is not moving. The factory nav in my 04 is always pointing in the right direction, even when parked.
Good question, never noted the stationary position thing. Will look at that tomorrow morning.
As far as the nav quality, it is far better than the stock unit. Huge POI database, full voice recognition (eg. "Find the nearest Starbucks" --> "Get directions to #1"), MSN direct, etc.

Here's a couple of demo videos by VBLU42 over at the AVIC411 forums :

Navi Demo
YouTube - AVIC-Z110BT NAVI DEMO

AV Demo
YouTube - AVIC-Z110BT AV DEMO

In Route Navi Demo
YouTube - AVIC-Z110BT IN ROUTE NAVI DEMO

XM Interface Demo
YouTube - AVIC-Z110BT XM INTERFACE DEMO

AVIC FEEDS iPhone App Demo
YouTube - AVIC FEEDS iPhone App Demo

AVIC-Z110BT Visualizer Demo
YouTube - AVIC-Z110BT VISUALIZER DEMO VIDEO

I love the stock nav. You keep your stock look with a simlpe and easy to use nav. yeah it lacks some functions that the new hi-tech aftermarket nav offer, but still its a great nav.I just have to update the cd I have.

I also have the stock nav (from an 03 installed in my 2000 LS Sport) and think the THX sound is great. The only 2 things I don't like is there is no mute command, and the map shows all the roads in my area but certain destinations the route guidance only goes to a certain point(state hwy) then says route guidance will no longer be available past this point and to follow the screen to my destination. I could see if the roads were not marked on the screen(on the DVD) but they are, and yet when I get to my destination the voice comes on & says you've arrived.

Has anyone w/the stock nav tried any of the other Nav discs (Pioneer or Ford P-series w/more voice commands) in the 03-06 units?? I checked Navteq & they want $199 for the 7D map DVD. Does anyone know how much the newer DVD's have improved?

How hard was it to put the nav from an 03 into your 2000 sport wiring wise? I have a 2000 and i'd love to put the factory nav in mine as long as its cheaper than going out and buying a avic.

How hard was it to put the nav from an 03 into your 2000 sport wiring wise? I have a 2000 and i'd love to put the factory nav in mine as long as its cheaper than going out and buying a avic.

you would have to be pretty lucky to find a factory nav system with all of the parts, harnesses and wires, main unit, GPS antenna, external DVD ROM drive. for the price that you can get an AVIC (around $500 or less)

not too mention you will either have to change the 03's silver to match the black dash or change the 00's black dash to match the silver 03's radio.

also the 03 factory unit wont get some of the info it would get from the car like VSS in a older LS

and the AVIC will have extra stuff that the factory wont have like IPod controls, voice rec, or bluetooth (as with most of the newer AVICs)

I also have the stock nav (from an 03 installed in my 2000 LS Sport) and think the THX sound is great. The only 2 things I don't like is there is no mute command, and the map shows all the roads in my area but certain destinations the route guidance only goes to a certain point(state hwy) then says route guidance will no longer be available past this point and to follow the screen to my destination. I could see if the roads were not marked on the screen(on the DVD) but they are, and yet when I get to my destination the voice comes on & says you've arrived.

Has anyone w/the stock nav tried any of the other Nav discs (Pioneer or Ford P-series w/more voice commands) in the 03-06 units?? I checked Navteq & they want $199 for the 7D map DVD. Does anyone know how much the newer DVD's have improved?

How hard was it to do? Did you do it yourself or take it to a shop to get it installed? I need to update my disk too. Its an 04. I'm curious if its worth it as well and if the disks have improved

Members online

No members online now.
Back