Extreme cold concerns

jrdnhsnbrg

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, with the extreme cold that's coming in tonight and tomorrow morning I'm getting very concerned about coolant and battery acid freezing. What temps does this occur at? We are expecting air temps of around -30 and wind chills around -79 in my area.

Hello guys, with the extreme cold that's coming in tonight and tomorrow morning I'm getting very concerned about coolant and battery acid freezing. What temps does this occur at? We are expecting air temps of around -30 and wind chills around -79 in my area.

I wouldn't worry about it (or even people in Canada) as long as you don't put pure water on your cooling system it won't freeze rock solid. Same with the battery, it's sealed and can withstand the cold. Windchill only affects people. Check the CCA of the battery, if it's rated low (below 650 CCA) then it will be hard to start the car (or it will not at all)

I wouldn't worry about it (or even people in Canada) as long as you don't put pure water on your cooling system it won't freeze rock solid. Same with the battery, it's sealed and can withstand the cold. Windchill only affects people. Check the CCA of the battery, if it's rated low (below 650 CCA) then it will be hard to start the car (or it will not at all)

I have an aftermarket sound system in my car with an extra battery in my trunk so I have over 1100CCA total.

If your antifreeze mixture is less than 50/50, it could gell in the rad and your motor will overheat at those temps. As long as the battery has a good charge it will not freeze. Does your car have a block heater? I use a magnet heater on my oilpan and my car is starting at -40 (same in C or F).

If your antifreeze mixture is less than 50/50, it could gell in the rad and your motor will overheat at those temps. As long as the battery has a good charge it will not freeze. Does your car have a block heater? I use a magnet heater on my oilpan and my car is starting at -40 (same in C or F).

Nope no block heater. If i do have any issues I have plenty of people I could contact for help, too.

Between both batteries and upgraded alternator and ground wiring (commonly called the Big 3 among audio enthusiasts) to 1/0ga I can send a whole lot of power really fast, meaning that engine cranks over like no other and starts in 4 cranks. I have no more concerns anymore.

Members online

No members online now.
Back