experts tell me what u think, Can I?

bigdog

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 1993 Seville with the 4.9L very powerful engine. Because I don't have the speed limiter can I beat the 1994 and up SLS and STS. i know that the gear ratio makes me quicker but may not be faster but can i hold him out once he gets to 112mph.

Period reviews from 91/92 put the top speed of the 92 STS wiht 4.9L around 125 mph, drag limited. The 93 / 4.9L combo is likely to have a similar top speed.

The 93 STS w/4.6L northstar could have either a 130 mph speed limiter or a 155 mph speed limiter, depending on the speed rating of the tires it was delivered with.

bigdog said:
So if we go from a stop for about a mile do I have a chance to win.

Maybe, if you have a rocket strapped on the roof of your car. The Northstar is a superior performing engine period--end of story. I own a 94 Eldorado (270HP/300lbs. torque). I would smoke you from start to finish. By the time we reached the quarter mile mark, I would coast to victory. Alright—maybe not that bad—but you would not have a chance.

If you beat a car with a speed limiter that would be kind of a lame victory—don’t you think? Anyway, it sounds like you’re thinking of placing a money bet and you want to know if you could win regardless of how. You’re hoping the SLS/STS has a limiter so you could use it to your advantage and hopefully squeak out a victory. Am I close?

That is if you don't end up killing yourself or someone else first. Forget about it.

would it be that bad? Ive ridden in an 95 STS and the seat of the pants pull was more in my '93 Seville 4.9L. Not saying that i would win but don't think they will cruise to victory. Oh yeah i diddn't make the speed limiter so if he bets and loses because of it that's on him.

4.9 hauls more off the line it has more torque so it would take an early lead, but as soon as the Northstar reaches its glory zone around 4k rpm your gonna get nothing but a nice view of its taillights.

I don't think the 4.9 can beat the SLS off the line, at least a 94. The SLS can edge even an STS off the line because it’s not as heavy and has a bit more torque. In either case, once the Northstar kicks in with full horses/torque, which won't take long, the 4.9 will loose. There is a video of a 96 STS smoking a Subaru WRX from start to finish. So, it would appear the SLS or STS could rip a 4.9 off the line--certainly the SLS.

what are you talking about?!?!?! the sts and sls are the same car same weight same thing except the sls had the more torque vin y N* and the sts had the more hp vin 9 N*. The weigh the same. 4.9s are torque monsters....

CadillacETC1997 said:
what are you talking about?!?!?! the sts and sls are the same car same weight same thing except the sls had the more torque vin y N* and the sts had the more hp vin 9 N*. The weigh the same. 4.9s are torque monsters....

I was referring to Northstar SLS/STS models in general. The 94 and later SLS models will have either a 270 or 275 HP Northstar (LD8 engine) with torque at either at 275 or 300lb.-ft. While the STS (L37 or LH2 engine) will have a 295-320 HP Northstar with torque at either 290 or 315lb.-ft depending on model year. Also, depending on the model year, performance will of course vary to some degree and curb weight will also vary.

Since the question was: "can I beat the 1994 and up SLS and STS," my response was with respect to 94 and later SLS' and STS', and which is faster off the line. My point being that the SLS is as fast or faster off the line than the 4.9, and is probably as quick or quicker than an STS off the line from a dead stop.

nope its not off the line a 4.9 will win dont believe me ask around cadillacforums.com they will tell you the same thing off the line to about 20-30 mph a 4.9 has the win.

CadillacETC1997 said:
nope its not off the line a 4.9 will win dont believe me ask around cadillacforums.com they will tell you the same thing off the line to about 20-30 mph a 4.9 has the win.

I asked around (see caddyinfo.com) and was advised that the 4.9 can be faster off the line; however, it's not an automatic win as it often depends on driver skill. Also, I asked about the SLS, which has more torque than the STS, and there is no available data indicating which would win. I say my 94 Eldorado (270HP/300lb.-ft) will beat the 4.9 unless I loose traction. So, could the 4.9 be quicker off the line? Yes—However, again, it's not an automatic win. At any rate, after about 30mph the Northstar rules.

Members online

Back