exhaust

00greenls

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I am new here and love everything about this site! very informative and useful! I just bought a 2000 estate green ls v-8 7 months ago and she only has 60,000 miles. I got a warranty which came in handy because my right side valve cover gasket was leaking and is now repaired but i didn't have any driveability issues with it when it was leaking,i was just able to smell it burning off the headers.I just went to local muffler shop and kept the stock exhaust and had stock mufflers cut off and replaced with straight pipes in their place. i am only running the stock resonators and it sounds neat! The factory pipes from the manifolds to the ends of the resonators are all 2.25 then it crimps down into 2 inch for the tailpipes and mufflers and tips. Overall i noticed a good power increase with noticeable sound and even louder on full accelerations. i noticed no real torque loss and the car seems more responsive and quicker. my next plan is to get either an h pipe or x pipe and weld it in up front and keep the whole exhaust at 2.25 to help with the torque and small engine. the resonators will be replaced with slp loudmouth resonators and tailpipes custom bent to 2.25. i would go with 2.5 but i think it will hurt the cars performance and torque because of the small displacement and torque it has(267 ft lbs). Funny how similair these motors are to the 4.6's due to the fact they are both modulars. but we have dohc and mustang gt's don't. we have 50 cubic inches smaller motor than a gt's and only 6 horsepower less,however the gt kills us with torque (300+vs267). i have the sst tranny and love it! Tires are 245/45/17 and handle great!! I've owned 6 mustangs and i think that the ls handles the same if not better! ok sorry for long post and rant! just glad to belong to such a big and great community!

hi! again i meant the mustang has 8 more hp not 6. lol!! Since i've been under the car i wonder if mustang headers and h-pipe might work on the ls,the layout looks very similar. if not the h or x pipe definitely the headers for a 4.6 mustang. i also forgot to mention that my car has a nice bark to it when i nail the accelerator! you can really hear the cams too! Sounds similar to a mustang gt! Will try to get custom exhaust done asap but for now i'm satisfied with what i have for now.

Speaking of exhaust, I'm thinking about changing mine (again). I've got Carsound cats to Magnaflow pipes and resonators to Flowmaster 40 series mufflers, but I'm not overly satisfied with the sound (anymore, I've had this setup for almost a year and i was happy with it at first).

It sounds ok at cruising speed, but it is too loud during acceleration (even light acceleration). Aside from that, i want a more throaty sound but it's still more of a humming sound (sort of like an import, but you can tell it's a v8).

Any suggestion on how to get a more throaty sound out of it (like a mustang, but not overly loud)?

(sorry for jacking your thread 00greenls)

I am also curious about the exhaust setup.

To get the Mustang GT sound, do you need Magnaflow cats and the exhaust pipes (the ones that run roughly $700)? I don't know much about this yet since I haven't researched it.

I am also curious about the exhaust setup.

To get the Mustang GT sound, do you need Magnaflow cats and the exhaust pipes (the ones that run roughly $700)? I don't know much about this yet since I haven't researched it.

Well, i had the full Magnaflow setup at first, but it sounds nothing like a mustang. It has a loud hum during acceleration, but almost nothing when cruising. I switched to the flowmaster 40 series mufflers and it sounds a lot better, but still not exactly what i'm looking for. (i put the carsound/magnaflow cats on when one of my stock ones went bad, but there was no noticeable difference)

Welcome to the forum. The 3.9 V8 engine in the LS is not a modular engine.

LMAO thats exactly what I was trying to read if anyone had wrote that yet.

But I mean.... they both have 4 valves, both ford, both v8.... they have to modular. :) :)

Speaking of exhaust, I'm thinking about changing mine (again). I've got Carsound cats to Magnaflow pipes and resonators to Flowmaster 40 series mufflers, but I'm not overly satisfied with the sound (anymore, I've had this setup for almost a year and i was happy with it at first).

It sounds ok at cruising speed, but it is too loud during acceleration (even light acceleration). Aside from that, i want a more throaty sound but it's still more of a humming sound (sort of like an import, but you can tell it's a v8).

Any suggestion on how to get a more throaty sound out of it (like a mustang, but not overly loud)?

(sorry for jacking your thread 00greenls)

np blue. I have the factory exhaust from the manifolds to the resonators. i cut off the factory mufflers and welded in straight pipes in their place. i only have the factory resonators as mufflers and it sounds nice. pretty close to what you want. it is quiet when not giving it gas. cruising at 2,000 rpms with foot on gas gives a mild tone,full throttle and it gets a little noisy but not annoying. it sounds close to a factory mustang,maybe a tad bit louder. idle the car still sounds close to factory unless you stand behind the car or give it gas then it is more noticeable. i would say if you want louder remove the resonators. the purpose of them is to quiet things down as well as function as a muffler too. if you want quieter go with a different aftermarket muffler like dynomax and you will get what you are after.

LMAO thats exactly what I was trying to read if anyone had wrote that yet.

But I mean.... they both have 4 valves, both ford, both v8.... they have to modular. :) :)

both the lincoln and mustang have 32 valves. the mustang is a single overhead cam and the lincoln is dual overhead cam like the cobra's. As far as the lincoln being a modular engine,i believe it is. The motor in the tarus sho's that were v-8's are basically the same motors but redesigned for the lincoln's. i also believe that on magnaflow's website for the catback exhaust made for the lincoln it also states the engine in the lincoln is a modular. The engine in the lincoln ls's do look very similar to the mustang modular engines and i'm willing to bet they are....but i could be wrong.

np blue. I have the factory exhaust from the manifolds to the resonators. i cut off the factory mufflers and welded in straight pipes in their place. i only have the factory resonators as mufflers and it sounds nice. pretty close to what you want. it is quiet when not giving it gas. cruising at 2,000 rpms with foot on gas gives a mild tone,full throttle and it gets a little noisy but not annoying. it sounds close to a factory mustang,maybe a tad bit louder. idle the car still sounds close to factory unless you stand behind the car or give it gas then it is more noticeable. i would say if you want louder remove the resonators. the purpose of them is to quiet things down as well as function as a muffler too. if you want quieter go with a different aftermarket muffler like dynomax and you will get what you are after.

Thanks! I'll play around with my exhaust tomorrow and try to find something that i like.

This is the type of sound i'm looking for (i don't know what he has for exhaust though)...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EjG1FDYIeAQ

This guy has his mufflers removed, but the audio is crap...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FbI1LNgvSHc

both the lincoln and mustang have 32 valves. the mustang is a single overhead cam and the lincoln is dual overhead cam like the cobra's. As far as the lincoln being a modular engine,i believe it is. The motor in the tarus sho's that were v-8's are basically the same motors but redesigned for the lincoln's. i also believe that on magnaflow's website for the catback exhaust made for the lincoln it also states the engine in the lincoln is a modular. The engine in the lincoln ls's do look very similar to the mustang modular engines and i'm willing to bet they are....but i could be wrong.

You are dead wrong about thinking the LS 3.9 engine is a modular engine. There were only 3 production displacements of Ford modular engine.

4.6 (2v, 3v, 4v)
5.4 (2v, 3v, 4v)
6.8 V10 (2v, 3v)
5.0 cammer (4v) ***non-production model***

You first have to understand what a ford modular motor is and how it is designed and made to know what is the criteria that puts them into the modular family. The LS 3.9 engine is not even close to being in the ford modular family. Listen to me here I might just know what I am talking about.

The Taurus SHO V8 was a 3.4 V8 Yamaha engine. Once again not even close to the Ford modular family of engines.

If Magnaflow stated that the LS 3.9 V8 is modular then they are wrong.

I cannot state anymore clearly than this but the LS 3.9 V8 is not even close to being in the same family as the Ford modular motors. Looks do not mean anything here. It all has to do with interchangeability of parts between engines in that family that make them a part of the "modular" motor family. The LS is a derivative of a Jaguar based engine and allot of its parts are specific to the 3.9 V8 engine only which places it into a whole other category compared to the Ford modular motors. I do custom builds on the ford modular motors so I tend to have to know allot about them which is why I can state all that I said above with full certainty. Whomever you heard that from was guessing; I am not. I am not trying to be a hardass here but I do not want this modular motor talk to cause any confusion.

Once again, welcome to the site.

First off welcome to the site but I must back up what everyone is saying myself.

It is not a Modular how ever I know that more than enough people that do not understand or even own a LS do go around and try to state that it is. They are all dead wrong.

What this guy is telling you is 100%

Good luck!

I cannot state anymore clearly than this but the LS 3.9 V8 is not even close to being in the same family as the Ford modular motors. It all has to do with interchangeability of parts between engines in that family that make them a part of the "modular" motor family. The LS is a derivative of a Jaguar based engine and allot of its parts are specific to the 3.9 V8 engine only which places it into a whole other category compared to the Ford modular motors.

Is this why there are very few after-market parts for the LS? Every time I open the Summit catalog I wonder if I should have a Mustang.

I cannot state anymore clearly than this but the LS 3.9 V8 is not even close to being in the same family as the Ford modular motors. It all has to do with interchangeability of parts between engines in that family that make them a part of the "modular" motor family. The LS is a derivative of a Jaguar based engine and allot of its parts are specific to the 3.9 V8 engine only which places it into a whole other category compared to the Ford modular motors.

Is this why there are very few after-market parts for the LS? Every time I open the Summit catalog I wonder if I should have a Mustang.

I am sure that does play some factor with the LS not having any real parts interchangeability with allot of other engines. The bigger likelihood is that the LS just never caught on and had a real strong performance crowd following. If the people aren't there to buy the performance mods and request more then the market surely will not invest the money to follow. That is the sad truth with the LS. You do have some performance business people like myself that do some pretty in-depth work with these cars but it is more out of hobby and personal interest in the vehicle platform rather than a big business approach or anything. There is not allot of money to be had in the LS aftermarket power/performance sector. ;)

I like Mustang's allot. It is part of my job and also preference for working on Ford vehicles. With that said, there is a certain appeal for some people to modify a platform that few have ever touched. Being unique while going fast has some perks. A 12 second Lincoln LS stands out in a crowd allot more than a 12 second Mustang. Modding Mustang's is fun but there is not allot of challenge in it anymore for those of us who are advanced modders or small business owners. I suppose the decision on whether a person goes with a LS or Mustang will depend on if they are interested in only pure speed or if they feel that taking on a challenge is appealing.

I am sure that does play some factor with the LS not having any real parts interchangeability with allot of other engines. The bigger likelihood is that the LS just never caught on and had a real strong performance crowd following. If the people aren't there to buy the performance mods and request more then the market surely will not invest the money to follow. That is the sad truth with the LS. You do have some performance business people like myself that do some pretty in-depth work with these cars but it is more out of hobby and personal interest in the vehicle platform rather than a big business approach or anything. There is not allot of money to be had in the LS aftermarket power/performance sector. ;)

I like Mustang's allot. It is part of my job and also preference for working on Ford vehicles. With that said, there is a certain appeal for some people to modify a platform that few have ever touched. Being unique while going fast has some perks. A 12 second Lincoln LS stands out in a crowd allot more than a 12 second Mustang. Modding Mustang's is fun but there is not allot of challenge in it anymore for those of us who are advanced modders or small business owners. I suppose the decision on whether a person goes with a LS or Mustang will depend on if they are interested in only pure speed or if they feel that taking on a challenge is appealing.
ILLS has once again said it succinctly.

However, the end result is that, for those of us that do have a fondness for the LS, the 'sleeper' factor comes into play. I regularly find that ricers, in particular, have no idea of what they're attempting to play with. It's great fun!

And because there're people like ILLS, who has the ability to create as much of a monster as you care to drive, the lack of a mountain of bolt-on parts isn't really a drawback.
KenS from Ben's Place

welcome i picked up a 2000 LS V8 about 9 months back with around 65k on it too
as it stands if you hunt around nows a pretty good time to be an LS owner there's some good HP stuff in the works....
the good old basics will work to start you on the HP gain side: intake/exhaust and an SCT flash
but also a few members have had success putting in some Hi-perf Accel COPs from mustangs for a nice ignition upgrade, also it seems like a member here is about to release some underdrive pulleys and some other goodies...check the high performance LS forum section for more details

Members online

No members online now.
Back