Exhaust Shield Falling Off

nghtshd88

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Had a metal on metal noise coming from the rear after replacing my rear suspension a year ago. Looks like the shield rusted right off the 2 back bolts an is banging on the resonators.

I was going to remove the bolts and put a large washer on to hold it back in place but the bolts just snapped. Is this shield really necessary? It looks like the exhaust has to be dropped to remove it.

So unless I cut it off I was thinking if possible to remove the rear lower backseat and drill some new holes for new bolts.

20200517_143551.jpg

20200517_143630.jpg

20200517_170156.jpg

...So unless I cut it off I was thinking if possible to remove the rear lower backseat and drill some new holes for new bolts...

Personally, I wouldn't drill through the fuel tank. Along with the leak, you'll get a check engine light.
Also, I feel like having a heat shield between the exhaust and the fuel tank is a very good idea.

Well I didnt know the fuel tank was there. Lolol. So that leaves me out of luck? Eventually it will fall off probably. What am I to do???
Personally, I wouldn't drill through the fuel tank. Along with the leak, you'll get a check engine light.
Also, I feel like having a heat shield between the exhaust and the fuel tank is a very good idea.

I guess that the correct repair is to replace the straps holding the fuel tank on (as well as holding the heat shield), and to replace the heat shields. Unfortunately, I think this would involve dropping the exhaust, drive shaft, and fuel tank.

If the straps are in better shape than they look to be, then maybe you could get some thin (like a worm gear clamp) stainless steal bands between the tank and the straps and use those to hold the heat shields on. Please, don't sue me when/if this goes horribly wrong.

Lmao I havent died yet with this thing. Yea I love the car but the age is killing me..

Found them, hopefully they fit. Lincoln LS Fuel Tank Strap Spectra Premium ST510
I guess that the correct repair is to replace the straps holding the fuel tank on (as well as holding the heat shield), and to replace the heat shields. Unfortunately, I think this would involve dropping the exhaust, drive shaft, and fuel tank.

If the straps are in better shape than they look to be, then maybe you could get some thin (like a worm gear clamp) stainless steal bands between the tank and the straps and use those to hold the heat shields on. Please, don't sue me when/if this goes horribly wrong.

Last edited:
If you know someone with decent to good welding skills... you could have them tack weld a new stud, (or piece of threaded rod) to the tank strap slightly offset from the original spot. Then drill a new hole through the aluminum shield.

A few layers of aluminum foil slipped between the strap and tank... should protect the tank from being damaged by the heat from welding.

And to quote Joe....

"Please, don't sue me when/if this goes horribly wrong."

Already got the new straps and will add a few large washers until the exhaust is dropped and I find a decent shield.

Well then you could get a small piece of aluminum duct from a home center... cut to size and pop rivet a patch over the hole... then re-drill for the bolt hole on the new strap.

Put the rivets in from the top so the smooth heads are facing the tank.

Members online

No members online now.
Back