Exhaust questions

05Linc_LS_V8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys. Before I ask this question, I was doing a little research from previous post on LVC. I was thinking its time to upgrade my exhaust. I saw that a few ppl like the bassani exhaust the best, and others like magnaflow. I really wanted to just replace the muffler for better sound. I am just wandering if there will be any horsepower difference in changing the muffler. I've heard of ppl actually losing hp...any suggestions as to what to buy for a low volume at cruising and aggressive when the pedal is mashed? Thanks!

I cant say if it really added any horsepower but im damn positive that exhuast plus intake made my car feel much more responsive. and it sounds damn good.

If you are on a budget you can just get two magnaflow mufflers, some cheap tips and have the exhaust shop cut and weld it into the existing piping. Add the KKM intake plus resonator delete and x-pipe install H-pipe delete for a full setup.

If you have more $$$ to throw around you can get the full catback maganflow system along with the K&N Typhoon.

When I got my borla muffler's on, replaced the stock mufflers with them, I felt the car get quicker. I put on flows and felt it more sluggish; put on magnaflows and it felt quicker, which for this comparison I did have proof that it gained hp and torque with a dyno run. I dont know how much you can gain by just replacing mufflers, but it is noticeable, to me it was.

I Will agree that between my cold air intake and the exhaust my car feels much more responsive as well............

Mufflers alone will not change horsepower much, and certainly nothing noticeable. You really cannot go wrong with either Magnaflow or Bassani to swap the mufflers for a better sound.

Just for FYI, when my car was stock I ran it on my g-tech and it ran 15.2, after doing cat back exhaust, cold air intake and SCT tune I went to the same road and ran 14.2. 1 second difference, ran 3 runs each time and that was the best of 3 each time. I am sure my car does not run 14.2 but using the same g-tech both times for 3 runs would be safe to say 1 second differnece would be true.

Mufflers alone will not change horsepower much, and certainly nothing noticeable. You really cannot go wrong with either Magnaflow or Bassani to swap the mufflers for a better sound.

I felt a difference, maybe some was in my head :rolleyes:, but I know the car felt different after the borla muffler's were installed. The noise was that much different from stock and it was quiet so it wasnt the sound that made me think it.

Theres a huge muffler comparison on some forum which I cant recall, but it proved that just changing mufflers could in fact improve/rob horsepower, Flowmaster was at the very bottom fyi

thanks guys, i appreciate it! yeah thats what ive heard about flowmaster too.. but i think i will end up buying something from magnaflow from the axleback for now atleast....then eventually cat back

I couldn't have asked for a better balance of quiet when I want it, yet growl when asked for with the Mina exhaust and the K&N CAI. I'm lovin this set up. Not sure if the Mina's available anymore since it's been a while but what a nice system....

cnv0605jn4.jpg

cnv0603dx3.jpg

Nice :q:q:q:q dude! ..is nice and quiet..what did you do 2.5 all the way?

When I got my borla muffler's on, replaced the stock mufflers with them, I felt the car get quicker. I put on flows and felt it more sluggish; put on magnaflows and it felt quicker, which for this comparison I did have proof that it gained hp and torque with a dyno run. I dont know how much you can gain by just replacing mufflers, but it is noticeable, to me it was.

Yeah but didn't you switch to 2 1/2" piping and a X-pipe when you did your magnaflows? Did you leave the resonators ?

Yeah, I got 2.5'' pipes, x-pipe, and magnaflows installed after the flowmaters, no resonators installed. Maybe it was going from a restrictive muffler to a straight through that made the biggest difference, but I gained some either way.

Hey, guys. Before I ask this question, I was doing a little research from previous post on LVC. I was thinking its time to upgrade my exhaust. I saw that a few ppl like the bassani exhaust the best, and others like magnaflow. I really wanted to just replace the muffler for better sound. I am just wandering if there will be any horsepower difference in changing the muffler. I've heard of ppl actually losing hp...any suggestions as to what to buy for a low volume at cruising and aggressive when the pedal is mashed? Thanks!

You will be happy with Bassani mufflers. I put only those on with exhaust tips and I could not be happier. There was no loss of power. I can't say there is more HP for sure, but it definately sounds like it! I get compliments. It's quiet when needed and has a great sound under a load, and it's perfect when you stand on it. I hear lots of other cars exhaust, and nothing sounds quite like a Bassani muffler. Start with that, you can always add more later (I have no need to do anything further to my exhaust, it's perfect as is).

Dang Alax, I just saw your Bassani video on Youtube. You have a nice house! :D

But I've been meaning to ask you also, where did you get that spoiler? I love how subtle it is but still has a nice presence. Price? Easy to install? Let me know man!

Thanks, not mine though. Still living at home until I finish school next year or so.

The spoiler is the gen1 LSE spoiler It use to be maybe 240 when I got it, dont know now. Some on here have said that they are discontinued and very hard to find so goodluck if you want one.

If you want cheap just got the mufflers off. My car has been running that way for months an im thinking I'm going to just through some tips on it and call it good. Left the resonators so it's not too loud below 4k rpms.

You guys still pass emissions with resonator delete, I took the resonators off of my old 87 f150 workhorse and it skunked

Members online

No members online now.
Back