Exhaust Manifold Gasket

jimbob

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I think i have a leaking exhaust manifoild gasket on the passenger side, the thing looks almost impossible to get at! is there any easy way to change this, or get at it even? It seems the AC lines are in the way.

I seem to have lost a lot of power, and the motor seems slightly noisier than usual (like the manifold blowing) although its hard to tell if it is the manifoild or something at the front of the engine making this noise, i cant help but wonder if it is related to loosing a lot of coolant recently due to the waterpump gasket failing in my last post and as a result something getting hot and failing.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I think i have a leaking exhaust manifoild gasket on the passenger side, the thing looks almost impossible to get at! is there any easy way to change this, or get at it even? It seems the AC lines are in the way.

I seem to have lost a lot of power, and the motor seems slightly noisier than usual (like the manifold blowing) although its hard to tell if it is the manifoild or something at the front of the engine making this noise, i cant help but wonder if it is related to loosing a lot of coolant recently due to the waterpump gasket failing in my last post and as a result something getting hot and failing.

Thanks

You might have warped the head. Get a "feather on a stick" to see if you are getting air from around the manifold. I typically use a piece of paper towel on the end of mechanical fingers. If it is leaking, you should definitely hear it.

You might have warped the head. Get a "feather on a stick" to see if you are getting air from around the manifold. I typically use a piece of paper towel on the end of mechanical fingers. If it is leaking, you should definitely hear it.

I never thought of this, it would seem to fit with my syptom, of blowing form that side of the motor. Ill try your method when i get home, if i do have blowing is there anyway of telling if its the manifold or a problem with the head though? i guess the a warped head would show up on a compression test?

Are warped heads a common problem with these motors? the thing that surprised me the most was when i lost coolant was that i didnt get any warning lights or anything, and with it being a Bill Blass there was no temp guage to watch!

Members online

Back