Exhaust hanger trouble, help please.

loomis22

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So I got the magnaflow cat-back system for my car yesterday. I had read on here that it was easy, no more than 2 hours to do it. Well my friend and I spent 1.5 hours just trying to get the rubber bushings that hold the exhaust to the metal hangers off with no luck. We tried dish soap to slip them off, but that, and everything else we tried didn't work. I tried to cut them off and I would just buy new ones, but there is a metal band inside the rubber :(. So if anyone has a special trick to get them off that would be great. I tried searching but I didn't see much. And don't say just use some elbow grease cause I tried that, for an hour and a half lol.

I put a lot of dish soap on mine when I took them off then just gave them hell. and I mean a lotttttt of dish soap. And my dremial was able to cut through the metal band so any rotary tool should work

Look up and trace the hanger to where it anchors to the body - there's a removable bolt. Might make it easier then, give it a shot.

Have your friend lift up on the exhaust while you try to remove the rubber hanger. the weight of the exhaust pulling down on it makes it a real PITA to remove.

I can get both the middle hangers off in about 2-3 minutes now.

Just takes some practice.

I spray the bolts and into the hangers with silicone spray lube, then use a flat pry bar against the exhaust component and they slip right off.

you need a giant pry bar.. my brother calls it the "child molester" at his shop.. haha

you need a giant pry bar.. my brother calls it the "child molester" at his shop.. haha

family_guy_thats_nasty1.jpg

Well I got my exhaust swapped out today, only took 1.5 hours with wd-40 and a pry bar, had to hammer the hell out of the piping to get the stock system off but I got it :D. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Members online

No members online now.
Back