exhaust Dual In/dual out question

Robby D

LVC Member
Reaction score
anyone run a dual in dual out muff in place of the resonators with rear mufflers deleted. looking to simplify the stock exhaust setup & get a nice deep growl without being too loud...or having any crackle and pop.

2005 3.9 v8 Ultimate Sport 100k on the clock
Norsea blue w charcoal interior

I've seen it done, but I'm not sure it will work with your paint/interior color combination.

Seriously though, here's a single, dual in dual out, center mount Magnaflow 11379 muffler. The owner said it was too loud, so he added additional bullet mufflers where the stock ones are. Keep in mind the stock resonators are there cancel out a particular constant popping noise (under acceleration), which you can hear strongly in the Magnaflow catback setup.

[video] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpnCuSBNiE8[/video]

some of the best sounding LS's I've heard were with a single dual in/dual out muffler... however one down side is that it tends to be a little larger so it may scrape more if lowered.

Some dual/duals have internal crossovers (X/H), but it seems most do not. The one you linked does not mention one. You'll probably want to add one for the power benefit and to smooth out the sound.

I put a Magnaflow cat-back on my '02 V8 Sport back about 2007 and never have had any 'popping' sound noticeable.

KS

The popping I dislike is hard to describe. I don't mean a popcorn style backfire, I mean like a knocking/popping. It's as frequent as rod knock on a spun bearing. I plan to keep my factory resonators in the same way one of the S-type owners did to mitigate the popping noise he encountered after removing them. It's just personal preference and most people don't notice it

ended up getting a borla dual in / out 2.25 and a x-pipe. couldnt get the gibson due too the muffler i wanted being no longer in production. didnt feel like tracking one down gonna run 2.5 inch pipe behind the muffler with 4inch rolled slash tips. i have no idea what its going too sound like hopefully not too loud. but moderately aggresive i guess is what im looking for.... will post again when i install it

Some time ago I also made note of Nick's single dual in dual out, definitely still on the to-do-list next time around I need an exhaust. Just seems so much easier to align the tails out the back in such a solution compared to sticking the two mufflers in those deep wells back there. I'll have to wear out my two Bassani's first before this next attempt. I've already spend way to much on my current set up having had to redo it due to poor installation from the first guy.

just so u guys know the borla pro xs dual in out muffler has the x pipe cross built in . not strait through. also it has packing in it. both yhings i was unaware of wen i bought it

....sounds great... smooth growl nice tone...deep sounding undertones with smooth mid sound over the top of that . more of the euro sound. i guess you could call it a nice tight driving sound. not raspy or jap sounding, or too deep and obnoxius. sounds kinda like some mustangs that ive heard. just smooth. def improved the flow of exhaust gasses. to be honest i think the single center mounted muffler is definitely the way too go instead of two muffs ...its got a nice purr at idle and cruise speed can hear it in the cab but not loud at all.... comes too life under any amount of acceleration. cab drones not bad atall under acceleration. ill try too get a vid posted sometime.

Staff online

Members online

Back