Exhaust advice wanted

Limey

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My tailpipes are rotten on my '92 LSC. The rest of the system looks sound enough but...
I wouldn't mind it sounding a bit nicer. Not loud, but a nice deep rumble. Maybe this is my opportunity to do something about it.

While I'm at it, what difference, if any, will removing the 'cats' make? I mean to the following:
a) Performance
b) Fuel consumption
c) Noise level

Does anything else need to be altered to suit, like the engine management?

Pipes

MY SUGGESTION IS TO REMOVE THE CATS..BUY A OFF ROAD H PIPE FROM A 5.0 MAIL ORDER WEB SITE. FLOWMASTER MUFFS 3 CHAMBER(KINDA QUITE) AND A GOOD SET OF TAIL PIPES.. ON THE MUFFLERS THE FLOWTUBES ARE A LITTLE LONGER THAN THE MUSTANG ONES AND THE TAIL PIPES ARE A LITTLE LONGER..BUT IF YOU BOUGHT A MUSTANG SYSTEM IT COULD BE ALTERED TO FIT(LENGHTED).. PEACE OUT..:cool:

I Forgot To Mention, Nothing Needs To Be Done The Eng. Management..also If You Go With A Off Road Pipe You Can Elimanate The Smog Pump Also..all These Mods Are Easy And The Motor Will Pick Up Power. The Mark Vii And The 5.0 Mustang Share Alot Of Parts..mods Are Plentyfull And Fun If Your A Car Guy..bet There Arn't Many Vii's In England..i'm Retired Army.. Station In Germany 3 Years During The Early 90's Traveled The World Loved Europe..

If you are looking for a decent sound and a little added power, then there is no need to ditch the catalytic converters. You would probably like a set of Super Turbo Mufflers mated to some slightly larger tail pipes...and that should pacify your audible desires.

I've got 3 different mufflers on 3 of my 7's. If you don't want it loud put 2-1/4" from cat back with Dynomax Super Turbo. These are deep sounding but not loud like Flowmasters. If you want loud without the price, Force Automotive makes a Flowmaster copy for $30 from Summit. One warning on loud, some cops will check to see if the converters are still on the car. Hiflow converters are the way to go if you have strict laws.
Dave.

460 Tzilla said:
I Forgot To Mention, Nothing Needs To Be Done The Eng. Management..also If You Go With A Off Road Pipe You Can Elimanate The Smog Pump Also..all These Mods Are Easy And The Motor Will Pick Up Power. The Mark Vii And The 5.0 Mustang Share Alot Of Parts..mods Are Plentyfull And Fun If Your A Car Guy..bet There Arn't Many Vii's In England..i'm Retired Army.. Station In Germany 3 Years During The Early 90's Traveled The World Loved Europe..

There are at least 5 MKVII's in England as far as I know. Although, that's still not very many!
Can you explain what you mean about eliminating the smog pump? and what that would achieve?

JoshMcMadMac said:
If you are looking for a decent sound and a little added power, then there is no need to ditch the catalytic converters. You would probably like a set of Super Turbo Mufflers mated to some slightly larger tail pipes...and that should pacify your audible desires.

Thanks Josh. Although I was thinking that the Cats are major restrictions that, if removed, should improve power and/or gas mileage.
I also wondered if removing the cats would 'improve' the sound even with the standard mufflers. Any idea if that's the case?

southernbrothersgarage said:
I've got 3 different mufflers on 3 of my 7's. If you don't want it loud put 2-1/4" from cat back with Dynomax Super Turbo. These are deep sounding but not loud like Flowmasters. If you want loud without the price, Force Automotive makes a Flowmaster copy for $30 from Summit. One warning on loud, some cops will check to see if the converters are still on the car. Hiflow converters are the way to go if you have strict laws.
Dave.

No I don't want it loud. Just a nice rumble. At the moment it's silent!
Cops aren't an issue. I'm in England and cars don't have to have cats until the year after my LSC was built! So I'm clear to remove them if would benefit anything.

Limey said:
Thanks Josh. Although I was thinking that the Cats are major restrictions that, if removed, should improve power and/or gas mileage.
I also wondered if removing the cats would 'improve' the sound even with the standard mufflers. Any idea if that's the case?

As long as they are still functional, which they typically are, you won't seen many gains from removing them...other than increased emissions. Cats will give the exhaust a louder, raspier, hollower sound. That doesn't seem like what you are looking for, which is why I simply suggest the cat-back exhaust, super turbo mufflers, and larger tail pipes.

Hiya Limey

I had the same conundrum when I got my Lincoln. The sound.
'Thats a nice car, V6?'

I swapped out the SILENCERS (UK hee hee) for some Cherry Bombs. It only increased the sound a little bit and only on acceleration.

So I had the resonators cutoff and replaced with straight pipes. At first it sounded the same in the exhaust workshop (Pipecraft - Basildon, Essex). But when I hit the accelerator ROAR and it rumbles at idle (now the glasspacks settled). When it gets to around 2500rpm it sounds like ripping thunder.

BUT...

It still isn't the kind of sound I am looking for - not loud but powerful - an uneven throb or rumble. So I think I have to change the tailpipes. From what I've read on the web, the tails make quite a difference. Or cut out the H-pipe or the remaining cats. Or get side exits or turndowns (before the rear axle).

Limey said:
There are at least 5 MKVII's in England as far as I know. Although, that's still not very many!
Can you explain what you mean about eliminating the smog pump? and what that would achieve?

THE SMOG PUMP IS LOCATED ON THE BOTTOM RIGHT OF THE FRONT OF ENGINE UNDER THE ALTERNATOR,DRIVEN BY THE SERPERTINE BELT. THIS DEVICE IS USED TO RECIRCULATE THE EXHAUST GAS. A METAL TUBE FROM THE BACK OF EACH HEAD GOES THROUGH THE PUMP AND OUT TO THE FACTORY CAT PIPE..IF YOU CHOOSE TO RUN AN OFFROAD PIPE OR JUST WANT TO ELIMANATE THE SMOG PUMP THEY SELL SPECIAL PLUGS FOR THE BACK OF THE HEADS AND YOU CAN RUN A SHORTER BELT FREEING UP A FEW HORSE POWER.SINCE EMISSIONS ARE NOT NECESSARITY IN YOUR COUNTRY I ONLY SUGGESTED THIS FOR A CURE TO MAKE SOME FREE BREATHING FOR THE ENGINE AND MORE POWER AND YES YOU CAN GET A LITTLE MORE FUEL ECONOMY:cool: MY MARK HAS QUITE A FEW TRICKS DONE AND RUNS QUITE WELL WITH NO MISSES OR PROBLEMS...

I'd go with Dynomax Super Turbos, Dynomax Ultra Flows, or Magnaflows. All flow well and aren't excessively loud. Flowmasters will sound lound and deep (their selling point), but their flow rates aren't impressive. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

ND4SPDLSC said:
I'd go with Dynomax Super Turbos, Dynomax Ultra Flows, or Magnaflows. All flow well and aren't excessively loud. Flowmasters will sound lound and deep (their selling point), but their flow rates aren't impressive. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

Now what we need is someone to flow test the generic turbo mufflers!

ND4SPDLSC said:

Can you suggest a good website for me to buy all this stuff?

phew, there's just too many Mustang exhaust options on there for me!

H-pipe or X-pipe?
cat back or full off road? (I don't need the cats)

ND4SPDLSC said:

Ultra Flos are loud - they're pretty much a straight-through design. I swapped out the Flowmasters for the Ultra Flos thinking it wouldn't be as loud.....I was wrong. lol :eek:

I've been looking on the rock auto website, and, well, don't stone me for this, but they do list a stock replacement Mark VII exhaust with a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler option.

What would be so bad about this? At least it's be a straight fit. Any idea what the difference would be?

JoshMcMadMac said:
Now what we need is someone to flow test the generic turbo mufflers!

I've got one car with the Dynomax Super Turbo and one with Summit turbos. The tech guy at Summit told me his were made by Walker. They were $15 each so I figured I'd put them on my daily driver for comparison. They sound stock and are a good buy for the money. The Super Turbos have a DEEP sound and are what these cars should have come from the factory with. They are not loud at all but make you notice the car when it is fired up. You also hear them at speed but it's not annoying at all. Both cars are 2-1/4" from cat back, pipe is in factory location. The same shop did both cars and they took all the extra factory kinks out. The tails look much better than the 1-3/4" and 1-7/8" factory set up and do not hit.
Dave.

southernbrothersgarage said:
I've got one car with the Dynomax Super Turbo and one with Summit turbos. The tech guy at Summit told me his were made by Walker. They were $15 each so I figured I'd put them on my daily driver for comparison. They sound stock and are a good buy for the money. The Super Turbos have a DEEP sound and are what these cars should have come from the factory with. They are not loud at all but make you notice the car when it is fired up. You also hear them at speed but it's not annoying at all. Both cars are 2-1/4" from cat back, pipe is in factory location. The same shop did both cars and they took all the extra factory kinks out. The tails look much better than the 1-3/4" and 1-7/8" factory set up and do not hit.
Dave.

Did you buy Super Turbos for a Mark VII or a Mustang GT?

Hey, regarding buying mufflers online, i struggled to get suppliers to ship mufflers overseas from the US when i purchased my Flowmaster 40's. Im not sure why this is, as i buy all my parts direct from US suppliers and rarely have problems. If you do get stuck, call Webster Race Engineering, theyre UK based and have regular shipments in from the US, which is where i got mine from. I dont have their number handy, but give me a shout if you need it and ill have a look for it, i think they advertise in the back of Classic American tho.

I thought the Ultra Flows were quieter. Good to know. It looks like I will be using two Magnaflows because they're stainless.

X pipe is better at scavenging exhaust gasses. It changes the exhaust sound a little. It's a little quieter and a little mellower from what has been described to me. Bassani makes a nice X. You need one for an automatic Mustang.

Walker manufactures the OE type replacements and they also own Dynomax. If the pipes are slightly upsized, it'll be a nice drop in fit.

Do the off road H or X pipes still have somewhere for the exhaust gas sensors etc to fit? I mean are they a straight swap or do I need to modify the wiring?

Limey said:
Did you buy Super Turbos for a Mark VII or a Mustang GT?
I looked at mine and called Summit tech and asked for 2-1/4" with the same offsets. I don't remember the part number but the mufflers are shorter than stock. The stock left and right are not the same length anyway so the offset is the only thing that matters. The pipe is new and the shop made it all look like a factory job, including hangers.
Dave.

Limey said:
Do the off road H or X pipes still have somewhere for the exhaust gas sensors etc to fit? I mean are they a straight swap or do I need to modify the wiring?

Most come with O2 sensor bungs. If not, you can drill your own hole and weld a bung on.

Members online

Back