Every once in a while when stopped car acts like it's about to stall out

DENNISJR60

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
It's happened to me a few times now where I'll be at a light & the engine starts shaking in a low rpm & it feels like the car is about to stall out. Once I get going & the car warms up I don't seem to have the issue anymore. Any idea what this could be?

Have you ever posted pics of your car. I'm looking at your sig and it looks awesome. Those gen II wheels in chrome. Mmmmmmmm looks dead sexy.

Have you ever posted pics of your car. I'm looking at your sig and it looks awesome. Those gen II wheels in chrome. Mmmmmmmm looks dead sexy.

I don't have any recent photos with nice backdrops or anything just the one in my signature. I need to find a nice spot to take some better pics. Here's a bigger pic of the one in my sig.

Kinda off topic, but any clue on my car issue? :D

LincolnLS.jpg

I'm going to suggest a failing temp sending unit, might be reading high. If it reads a higher than actual temp, it will cut out cold temp enrichment which is the computer's version of a choke.

Add the MAF sensor assembly (includes air temperature sensor) to the possible list. You really need to connect a scanner with live sensor readout and see what's going on when it's wanting to stall.

If you give it a bit of gas while you're sitting at the light, does it get better? If so, add the idle air bypass/controller (IAC) to the list. According to AllData, for the 2nd Gen V8s it's part of the throttle body assembly and cannot be cleaned; I've not had to do anything with the IAC on my LS, so I can't address that, but I did have luck cleaning the IAC on my '99 Explorer.

If you give it a bit of gas while you're sitting at the light, does it get better? If so, add the idle air bypass/controller (IAC) to the list. According to AllData, for the 2nd Gen V8s it's part of the throttle body assembly and cannot be cleaned; I've not had to do anything with the IAC on my LS, so I can't address that, but I did have luck cleaning the IAC on my '99 Explorer.

No IAC on gen II. It just uses the main throttle plate. If that's not working 100% correctly, you'll get ETC failsafe mode. When you press on the gas pedal, the same motor is used to move the throttle plate, so either it works or it doesn't.

No IAC on gen II. It just uses the main throttle plate. If that's not working 100% correctly, you'll get ETC failsafe mode. When you press on the gas pedal, the same motor is used to move the throttle plate, so either it works or it doesn't.
I thought that might be the case; the AllData information isn't exactly clear on that, and, as I mentioned, I've not had the need to look into it. Thanks for the clarification!

i suggest cheap stuff first:
if no CEL/wrench lights i would say to just clean your MAF and report back. maybe run a bottle of lucas thru it for ****s and giggles
if you have CEL/wrench light then the 'shaking' is prolly a misfire and you would need new coils, maybe new plugs too

Members online

No members online now.
Back