Ever had a bad Data Link Connector (DLC)?

OhTreeLS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
This is on a 2003 LS V8 with 48K miles. I'm using a Snap-On scanner.

All eight COPs and spark plugs have been replaced after receiving the ubiquitous "ETC Engine Failsafe" DTC. I tried scanning the car before they were replaced and the scanner indicated an error in communicating. It communicates successfully with the FEM, REM and ICM, but when I try to initiate any scans for codes or engine tests (KOEO, KOER), there is no communication. I even tried to scan under the Transmission category to no avail. The scanner's and DLC's pins aren't damaged, so they have passed the visual inspection.

I came up with two possibilities that maybe some of you can chime in to confirm:
- Some DLC circuits are bad, causing the communication error
- PCM damage

If I had a meter, I would test the circuits, as instructed here: http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xi0002.htm~gen~ref.htm#extract_339 which would help rule that out. The only reason I am not certain about bad DLC circuits (besides lack of a meter) is why would it communicate to the other modules, but not to anything engine or transmission related?

The PCM being damaged is a wild guess based off of my assumption that engine and transmission parameters are directed to that module and the fact that another member had issues with the PCM with the same DTC. The scanner I am using does not have a designated category for testing the PCM, but it does for the others listed in the first paragraph.

I'm pretty frustrated that the hesitation on acceleration symptoms haven't been fixed by new COPS and plugs at once. Through searching, I understand that the TB or gas pedal ass'y. could be culprits as well, but I'd rather fully understand any present codes before I even attempt one of those paths.

I may end up taking this to the garage across from my work to see if they can extract any codes and if not, maybe they can test some connections.

Any insight is appreciated.

Why do you think that? That is something a dealer is only capable of, right?

Yup.. I was quoted 60 to do it.. Also, a fuse could be blown so check that.. That's a last resort before having to shell out the money for a new one..

Don't get mad, I have to ask.
You are turning the key to run and not just to accessory? Have you tried to scan while the engine is running?

fuse +1
that was the problem on dads diesel. here's to hoping for a cheap fix.

here's to hoping for a cheap fix.

Agreed.. I mean it's always look for the obvious then ask if you did.. Like I went away for the weekend and came back to my apartment at the nice chilly temp of 34 *F.. I found out that the pilot when out and grabbed my lighter.. I was about to pull the cover and it said automatic igniter.. Do not light.. I, if I was in my right mind, would have went and flipped the breaker (which was the fix btw) but totally didn't even think about it..

Yup.. I was quoted 60 to do it.. Also, a fuse could be blown so check that.. That's a last resort before having to shell out the money for a new one..
Yeah, I hear ya for sure about a last resort.

I checked the fuse box in the engine bay on the passenger side. I checked all the mini blade fuses that were in it and all were well. What I was unsure about was what appeared to be some cube-shaped transparent-colored fuses. I'm not familiar with their function, so I left them undisturbed.

Is there another fuse box elsewhere that I could check?

joegr said:
Don't get mad, I have to ask.
You are turning the key to run and not just to accessory? Have you tried to scan while the engine is running?
Correct on both accounts, still with no success.

chris2523 said:
that was the problem on dads diesel. here's to hoping for a cheap fix.
Thanks for the optimism.:)

By the the battery.. Idk if there is anything PCM related in there though.. Worth a try
Thanks, I forgot about that one. Just checked them and they're all okay.

I think it's safe to say simplicity is out the window now.

Had a snow day yesterday, so I didn't leave my house.

This morning I took the car into the garage across from my work. They were able to perform a successful scan and accessed the code history that gave them a message of "reduced engine power." He was able to trace this to a TSB regarding the TPS stating that it needed to be replaced and the computer flashed. I asked him if he thinks it could be related to anything else and he said there was no code stored that would lead him to think otherwise. They actually have the capability of flashing the computer, so I don't need to take it to the dealer, so I just told him to go ahead and fix it relative to what the TSB stated.

I'm really unsure what is wrong with the scanner I was using. I am beginning to think that one of the keys the scanner advised me to use is possibly causing the malfunction. I am 90% sure I had to use different keys for KOEO/KOER tests and the FEM and REMs, which would explain the lack of communication during KOEO/KOER. On Monday, I scanned a Bonneville's trouble codes for a co-worker and all went well. The GMs use a different key than a Ford (obviously), so that is another reason that leads me to a problematic key.

I'll post back and let you know how the car drives after a few days. Thanks for the help in the meantime. :)

Good luck, Kevin. I'd love to have a scanner personally but can't justify the expense of getting a good commercial quality one.

Tru

This is on a 2003 LS V8 with 48K miles. I'm using a Snap-On scanner..

Good luck, Kevin. I'd love to have a scanner personally but can't justify the expense of getting a good commercial quality one.

Tru

The Red Brick? :D I use that one a lot too..

^
Those one's are fair priced on eBay.. I would someday like to get a Genesis..

Yep, the red one!

Thankfully, I did not have to buy this! My parents used to have a towing/repair shop and my dad hung on to this, so I borrowed it. It's definitely a handy thing to have. It's only been updated to 2004, so my LS barely made that cut-off. :D

I would like to purchase one eventually, but I don't even know where to start to research. I will be getting rid of the LS (after it's functioning without problems) and it would be nice to purchase a scanner shortly after. I'm curious what $1,000 could get me in a scanner. Any of you got any input on that?

You could get the Genesis on eBay for like 600..

The new Snap-On one is the sh!t but it's hella expensive..

And, you can USUALLY scan one year after the year it says..

Just checked Snap-On's website....$8K for the Modis scan tool :)eek:) and $1800 for the Ethos. I didn't read into their differences, though.

I'll check out that Genesis tool. I like the $600 price tag.:cool: Thanks for the tip.

Got the car back. It feels a tad peppier after a new TPS and PCM reprogram. I am still crossing my fingers that the symptoms don't return.

Members online

No members online now.
Back