etc fail safe mode

FS04

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 lincoln ls v8 and the etc failsafe mode pops up in yhe message center from time to time for the past couple of weeks. The strange thing is the motor is not restricted in any way and idles perfectly fine. Does any one know what could be the cause of this.

Why is that strange? Electronic Throttle Failsafe mode has nothing to do with any exhaust or other restriction.

While it could mean that you have a problem with your gas pedal sensors or with your throttle body, instead it almost certainly means that you have one or more coils misfiring. (The RFI from the coils confuses the PCM.)

Your best course of action is to replace all the coils (use OEM) and all the spark plugs (check each gap to make sure it is as 1.0mm) at the same time.

Why is that strange? Electronic Throttle Failsafe mode has nothing to do with any exhaust or other restriction.

While it could mean that you have a problem with your gas pedal sensors or with your throttle body, instead it almost certainly means that you have one or more coils misfiring. (The RFI from the coils confuses the PCM.)

Your best course of action is to replace all the coils (use OEM) and all the spark plugs (check each gap to make sure it is as 1.0mm) at the same time.

Awesome. Thank you for the help. Ill get on that today and let you know if that fixes it. I thought it was strange because all the other post I've read regarding this issue, people seemed to have driving restrictions when that appeared in the message center.

... I thought it was strange because all the other post I've read regarding this issue, people seemed to have driving restrictions when that appeared in the message center.

There are different levels of ETC failsafe. You'd be hard pressed to detect the difference with the most minor one. With the most severe one, the engine idles only (no pedal response).

There are different levels of ETC failsafe. You'd be hard pressed to detect the difference with the most minor one. With the most severe one, the engine idles only (no pedal response).

Replaced all of the ignition coils checked connections and everything checks out and the ETC fail safe mode still activates in the message center from time to time. Do you have any recommendations on how to proceed from here. Is it worth spending the 400 on a new throttle body or is there other issues that can cause this light to appear?

Replaced all of the ignition coils checked connections and everything checks out and the ETC fail safe mode still activates in the message center from time to time. Do you have any recommendations on how to proceed from here. Is it worth spending the 400 on a new throttle body or is there other issues that can cause this light to appear?

I'd certainly pull the codes first. See if they point to the gas pedal, the throttle body, or the ABS.

Members online

Back