Error Codes

blackls

LVC Member
Reaction score
My car produced the error codes P0012 and P0022. Something about the camshaft position. The guy who read them at valvoline said they were a fluke and erased them. Has anyone had these codes before? Does any action need to be taken? I just added restore to the oil if that has anything to do with it.

Word of advise... those "mechanic's in a can"... don't ever use them. There is no liquid solution for a mechanical problem.

Oils have their own additives already in them. Those additives can vary depending on the brand of oil. This is one reason you should always run the same exact oil. These additives work as advised on their own. When you start changing types/brands of oil all the time, and putting additional things into your oil... those additives can react in a way that can cause adverse problems (increased acidity, less ability to hold deposits in the oil, resulting in sludge.. etc etc.).

Your codes:
P0012 "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)
P0022 "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 2)

I highly doubt its a fluke; cars don't normally just throw codes on their own. You may have an issue with your camshaft position sensors. However, that would be a bit strange that they both went out. Could be your wiring harness. Doesn't seem likely your chains would have skipped a tooth.

Maybe someone else has dealt with this before...

Although... I did just think of something. You don't have low oil pressure do you? The tensioners on your timing chains are hydraulic (I believe); if you are having an oil pressure problem then it is possible you could have jumped the chains.

I'd look into testing your Cam position sensors and your harness first.

here's another one... Could be a crankshaft position sensor issue as well; if that's sending an inaccurate reading, the computer will think both of you cams are retarded (or advanced)

Grab yourself a multi-meter and get to work!!

Values:

7ycleu1.jpg

6krpnxh.jpg

833qiw1.jpg

wow. i wouldnt know where to begin with a multimeter. can i just take it into my dealer and have them look at it?

of course you can take it to the dealer. that is what they specialize in.

yeah... if you'd be at a loss on this, take it in. Tell them which codes were pulled and that the oil change tech cleared them out. They'll investigate.

I'd be much more likely to believe it's your crank position sensor acting up than anything else. The chances of both timing chains jumping teeth or both cam position sensors reading the same incorrect reading is highly unlikely.

thanks guys. it hasnt come back so i think everything is all right. I dont know though because the car feels a little sluggish in comparison to before the code.
this may sound stupid but could it be bad gas? the system retards the timing for lower octane doesnt it? i put 93 in but i dont know. i hope its not restore f-ing up my car. and i thought that stuff worked. i guess i should have asked. thanks again

I wouldn't say it retards it for low octane... in the sense that it detunes itself so it is safe to run a lower grade. More like it goes into a "safe mode" due to spark knock. But... you're confusing ignition timing with valve timing. When you get those codes, what it is telling you is that your camshafts are not correctly sequenced (timed) to your crankshaft. It really doesn't have anything to do with ignition timing (although your computer my very well pull ignition timing for safety sake or depending what's going on, just because it thinks the engine's rotation is in a different spot than it really is). I believe your ignition pulls it's timing from the crank position sensor. The thing is, if your crank position sensor is readin incorrectly, your ignition timing will be off; this could explain the sluggishness.

I doubt your can of mechanic in a bottle caused the problem. But I'd stay away from that junk from now on.

Either way, I wouldn't ignore those codes; crank and cam position sensors very rather important and if they are not reading correctly, or are erratic, it could cause you further... more expensive problems.

Excessive voltage drops can cause all sorts of dumb codes to be thrown. If you have a large aftermarket stereo then this could be a possibility for you.

DAMN IT!!! I didn't even think of that!!!

Number one rule of troubleshooting; look for the simple answer first.

Anyhow, sounds like he's not very well versed in automotive electronics, control systems and the like. I really believe it's too bad there is no haynes or chilton's manuals for these cars. A lot of people would be more willing to jump into working on them were there a manual that reads easier for the average shade tree mechanic

But anyhow, don't forget to keep us updated on the results when you take it in. This is all info someone may be able to use later on by comparing what they experience to what you experience.

Members online

Back