Er...Fuel Pump?

c4yrslf12

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Having a little issue with my LS, was hoping I could get a little insight.

Occasionally (which is now probably 1 in 3 starts) the car doesn't fire up as it normally does. It has to crank for a second or two, and when it does fire up, the RPMs start low and move up over about a 2 second period.

Also, when crusing at moderate speed, say 50, the car will occasionally bog down for just a split second, but a few times in a row. If I let off the gas, it coasts just fine, no bogging at all.

This makes me think the fuel pump is going out. I'm third owner, car has about 86k on it, and I have no receipts of it ever being changed.

Note: Last time I changed the plugs (not even 5k ago), there was a drop or two of oil around the plugs. This also makes me think perhaps I need a new gasket if there's any oil leakage. There is a very faint smell of burning oil once in a while, and this just recently started as of a day ago.

I have yet to have time to check the oil, but I definitely will tonight to see if it's low. Hard to say if the odd smell is another issue mutually exclusive of the fuel pump, or some sort of result.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it.

Oh, and go easy: I'm hardly past a novice :)

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? (There's no reason that either fuel pump should be replaced by 86K miles, but the fuel filter should have been changed a few times already.)

You need to change your valve cover gaskets.

You probably have from one to eight marginal COPs (coils) by now. The easiest/best thing to do is to change them all out. Marginal COPs would explain both of your symptoms and this is a much more common problem than a failing fuel pump or pumps.

I have not yet changed anything on this car outside of pads/rotors/lines and a fresh set of tires, all less than 1k miles ago (had a blowout on the highway and just did it all at once). I've only had the car since about 75k miles, so anything previous, I don't really have much information on.

When I purchased the car, I do recall there being coil packs replaced before I purchased it. Is that the same as COPs? Although I do remember that much, I'm not sure if one or all was/were replaced.

These cars don't have "coil packs" specifically. They're COPs (coil-on plugs).

Unfortunately, these cars also eat COPs fairly regularly. Since the valve cover gaskets are prone to leaking, COPs can fail earlier than they should due to oil leaking into the spark plug hole.

Well I can only assume under the valve covers are both the gasket and COPs, so I may as well do both at one time, huh.

And for 10.99, a fuel filter is in line also.

Any other things I should do while I'm under the hood? I'd rather be proactive than re-.

Spark plugs. Either go with Motorcraft (here's a 4-pack on eBay -- obviously you need two sets) or NGK Iridiums (you don't have to go with plats -- they're really expensive).

For the valve cover gasket, I recommend ordering this set from Amazon. I just ordered it recently. Haven't installed it yet, but it's the same part that Advance Auto carries and Felpro is a good brand name.

The car being slow to crank & fire could definitely be a coil issue. My remote start completely stopped working when I had bad coils (it would crank and fail repeatedly), finally replaced all the coils, and now it cranks & fires normally again.

Spark plugs. Either go with Motorcraft (here's a 4-pack on eBay -- obviously you need two sets) or NGK Iridiums (you don't have to go with plats -- they're really expensive).

For the valve cover gasket, I recommend ordering this set from Amazon. I just ordered it recently. Haven't installed it yet, but it's the same part that Advance Auto carries and Felpro is a good brand name.

Actually I think the iridium and platinum plugs are opposite. Iridiums are like 7-10 bucks each for NGK brand whereas I went down to the local autozone and got them for $3 a pop there. You may have been looking at their double platinums which are only meant for rotary engines I think.

Everything else is spot on though.

As far as being proactive you may want to look into replacing a lot of your cooling system components. The degas bottle, thermostat housings and water outlet tubes are particularly prone to failure around 100k miles due to it being a pressurized system subjected to stream heat and cooling and the fact that its all plastic.

What year/engine/mileage is your LS btw?

COP'S Gone Bad

+1 Change the cop and valve cover gaskets at the same time its a bit of a pain but its doable at home, just did mine only i went with the E3 plugs for the best bang for the buck as well as the gas milage and yes i do get around 21.6 in the city daily driving to work.
2005 LS 3.9 V8 46000 on the clock
K&N cold air and Magna flow out the rear
Lowered 1-1/4" on stock 17" wheels.

Actually I think the iridium and platinum plugs are opposite. Iridiums are like 7-10 bucks each for NGK brand whereas I went down to the local autozone and got them for $3 a pop there. You may have been looking at their double platinums which are only meant for rotary engines I think.

You may be correct. The NGK G Power plugs are $3/each while the Iridium Ix are $6-7.

If you can wait a few days for them to show up, I would just go with the Motorcraft I posted. $32 shipped for all eight plugs and you know the quality is what Ford specs.

I've got a 2002 with the 3.9L V8.

Any link to the COPs?

That amazon link already saved me $20 from my local Autozone quote for the Valve cover gasket!

Changed the fuel filter Sunday morning, it was old 'n crusty. Glad I did that.

I'll be doing the COPs and Valve Cover Gaskets this weekend. I'll let you guys know if it all sorts out.

Update:

Car drives so so much better. There was a leak by the plugs and it's been cleaned out as good as possible. Car has Platinums in it, thinking I might go Iridiums.

Also, thinking of cleaning the throttle body/mass air unit for a little extra efficiency.

MPGs went from 19 to about 23, and I haven't done any hwy miles yet.

Huge impact.

Thanks ya'll.

Members online

No members online now.
Back