EPC solenoid or Valve body removal in car?

Sincoln

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have that ticking/knocking sound (in gear moving, idle in park, quiet/goes away in neutral, doesn't increase with revs) which seems to be covered more in the Taurus forums but appears it might be the EPC solenoid. I've also noticed some delay in the 4-3 kick down, along with holding 4th to almost 1100 rpm at slower speeds and needing to either manually pull lever to 3rd or blip the throttle to get it to auto-kick down.

It would seem the EPC might be the reason for the ticking, and the 3-4 shift solenoid might be having an issue too. Fluid was flushed after getting the car and still smells fresh and old fluid was NOT burnt/stinky.

Thinking the entire valve body could be replaced with an upgraded reman OR just replacing the EPC, 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 solenoids. Can those be done with trans in the car? i.e. can the valve body be pulled with the trans in place?

From the description I think your right about the shift solenoid being bad. We had an Explorer that did this, placed a new shift pack and all was good. They can be replaced with trans in the car, from what I can understand about how our Explorer was fixed. Did you have any codes pop up on the message center at all? Like a TCC reading?

You can do an upgraded valve body and place a shift improver kit from Transmaxx (TransGo) Here is a description: TransGo AX4N/4F50N: SK AX4N

2002 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL 4.6L V8 Valve Body | RockAuto

2002 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL 4.6L V8 Shift Improvement Kit | RockAuto

Can’t help you – the only time I looked at the transaxle on mine was when it was up on a lift getting the fluid changed.
It looks like the determining factor will be if you have the room, or can make the room, to pull off the cover to get to the EPC and solenoids.

Good luck.

No codes showing, though it's possible something is getting stored, though I read where someone had a rebuild and the rebuilder put the wrong year EPC solenoid in (wrong ohm value) and that car ran OK with a harsh shift and no codes.

It's been a pain to find info, but found a service page that shows the EPC solenoid failing can cause ticking and it suggests unhooking a harness to help diagnose if the sound goes away. Apparently if the sound stays with engine rpm, it's the pump (under large center cover on valve body). Since the sound goes away completely in neutral, and free-revving the engine in neutral I only hear the engine which sounds normal, it would seem it's possible the EPC is at least bad or suspect, but I know little about auto trans overall. And to be clear, idling in gear it ticks, cruising it ticks and is heard easier when next to a wall or curb, etc. that bounces sound back when window is down, but neutral is quiet. It does seem to sound a tad louder while driving at slower speeds, like in a large parking lot.

Just trying to learn as much as possible before walking into a trans shop.

Nothing yet. It's on the back burner atm. Might be a few weeks.

Members online

Back