Enine air filter on 97 conti, this should be easy?

gdubya

LVC Member
Reaction score
I must be doing something wrong, and my chilton's show's the wrong picture for my filter. It's the large round kind, and I got the housing off and the new filter in, but can't get the latch closed.

It looks like the little hinged bar underneath the latch handle should go between two raised bumps on the rest of the ring that holdes the intake tube and pull it closed, but it seems too tight to close, and the underneath part of the latch slips past the bumps and I just can't seem to make it latch. Am I missing something that should be obvious?

We know exactly what your going thru, This design is a little flawed from ford. Do not try to change the air filter in the car. Remove the air cleaner assembly then change the air cleaner on the bench, when everything is lined up it snaps together easily. Dont force it or parts will break. Been there done that.:

There is also a small hassle with reconnecting housing with the fenderwall seal. They are found to be dry and misshapen, so remove, clean, condition and wallah!

Members online

No members online now.
Back