engines that fit?

MotorCityLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
So i have a question that has been bugging me for a long time. I want to know what engines will actually fit into the lincoln ls? I do not car if the will work ijustwant to know if they can fit into the engine bay. Specifically will the 4.6l, the old 5.0L and the new Cyotoe 5.0L? if you could tell me what you would need to make these engines fit like raise the hood an inch or move the motor mounts etc. thanks

When FoMoCo was exploring the use of the 4.6 in the LS, they contracted McLaren to build a couple of prototypes. And mostly because they were available, McLaren used five litre variants, made possible by the use of the Nikasil process on the cylinder walls.

Everything could be made to fit from both side-to-side and fore-and-aft perspectives. But they discovered that they either had to go to a dry sump system to gain space to lower the engine, or, alternatively, use a lower profile intake manifold. It was simplest to cast a new, lower profile, intake, and they did so from magnesium. The available flow was the same as the composite production piece, and allowed the five litre engine to make 480 HP and still fit under the production hood with no needed alterations.

A quick look through almost current threads in the regular LS part of the forum will show a project of installing a 302 engine that is currently going forward.

KS

will the new modular 5.0L fit side to side and front and back. i am not really concerned if it fits up and down. and can you post a link to that 302 build i would be very appreciate of.

I don't believe there is any difference in perimeter dimensions on 'new' and 'old'. The thread regarding the 302 LS is about halfway down on the current screen when I looked just now.

KS

What if you stripped down the LS so that is is just the body. Then take a 2011 mustang gt and strip it down of all of its parts and put it on the ls. so basically have the body and look of an ls but the power and tried and tested parts of the mustang. i understand not all of the parts will just bolt on to the LS but i feel like you see my point. the biggest advantage is you could just use the entire wiring harness and pcm, and all the other electrical parts of the mustang. that way you do not have all the confusion. it might take a little more labor but if you find a totaled mustang it might be cheaper. I understand this would be expensive but taking money out of the equation would this be easier and the best way to unlock what the LS has to offer?

lol i dream big. When i was 16 i took my fathers LS out for homecoming. afterwards me and a buddy of mine were racing around town and i blew the engine. When we took it to my mechanic. he told us the bad news but he also got me interested in cars and how they work. Im now going to college to be a mechanic. ever since that day i have been surfing the web trying to figure out how to make the LS better and how to make it available for everyone else who love that car. i have my heart set on the coyote motor with a manual trans. when i explain it to people i justsaw i want the look of the LS with the feel of a mustang.

Honest question here; are you aware of how much money and effort an engine swap is going to take to pull off? The guy doing that 302 build is replacing practically every single electronic device and piece of wiring himself to make that build work, as well as fabbing custom engine mounts and various other very involved preparations. This is really not the type of car you're going to want to motor swap unless you have a VERY thorough understanding of vehicular electronics and virtually ever other aspect of a car that makes it move. I dont say this to dash your hopes, but if you're on a budget this is a patently bad idea. Get a Honda and drop in every engine under the sun.

If you want the luxury of an LS and power then get a BMW M5 or new Jaguar XF for the money you'd have to spend buying a 2011 mustang and having some mad scientist transfer the skin of an LS to it.

As people keep telling you, with enough money virtually anything is possible. That's the bottom line.

Honest question here; are you aware of how much money and effort an engine swap is going to take to pull off? The guy doing that 302 build is replacing practically every single electronic device and piece of wiring himself to make that build work, as well as fabbing custom engine mounts and various other very involved preparations. This is really not the type of car you're going to want to motor swap unless you have a VERY thorough understanding of vehicular electronics and virtually ever other aspect of a car that makes it move. I dont say this to dash your hopes, but if you're on a budget this is a patently bad idea. Get a Honda and drop in every engine under the sun.

If you want the luxury of an LS and power then get a BMW M5 or new Jaguar XF for the money you'd have to spend buying a 2011 mustang and having some mad scientist transfer the skin of an LS to it.

As people keep telling you, with enough money virtually anything is possible. That's the bottom line.
I'm very well aware that it would lots of money and effort to do this. all i'm trying to understand is would it be easier for specifically the engine and trans and wiring harness to just swap the whole thing in. instead of trying to use a piece from here and a piece from there. if it would be easier and not to much more expensive you might see more people doing this engine swap. another thing is i never was thinking of buying a new 2011 mustang gt to do the swap. i was going to look for a wrecked one or just order the parts from ford racing. The main question i had in the begging was would the engine actually fit into the LS engine bay. if it dose not why and what could be done to make it fit. After that i want to tackle making the trans fit then tackle the electronics . etc i really want to take this slow and one step at a time. i personally do not have the money or experience to do this build yet. but my overall goal is to make it easier for others to swap the 5.0L into the LS

Dream big

You need the skills and the pocket book to support such an undertaking
If you have the time money and skill set than anything is possible i to would like a 5.0 cyotey under my hood as well just not feesable for me to take on such a project even though i have the shop and knowledge im lacking the time and desire for such an expensive job.

So the biggest problem with a coyote swap is the.cost of the engine? So if I had one, what else is needed? Trans? Wire harness or a special manifold intake? Loving the idea of a 400 HP ls. Id go looking for a few srt 300c ;-) gen 1's of course...not gonna touch a 392

Fore all the cost and time involved in trying to drop the 302 in a LS you would be money ahead to go with a remote twin turbo system and gain the same HP with the 3.9 LS V8.

Loving the idea of a 400 HP ls. Id go looking for a few srt 300c ;-) gen 1's of course...not gonna touch a 392

400 HP... spray and you're there (about $1000 to do it right)

Why be afraid of the 392 (a mid 12 sec car)? Add gears/traction and you'll be right there (and probably then some for about another $1000). Certainly cheaper than an engine swap project, or car payments.

Not to say the 392 driver can't do the same (add power). There's a lot more to consider than just HP. Traction, gearing, weight, rotating weight, are critical as well as driver skill. I almost beat a Viper at the track because he spun the tires (I only had a 100 shot and skinny tires at the time- I lost by .8 seconds which is a fair amount, but not when you're trying to get your car hooked up).

I don't believe there is any difference in perimeter dimensions on 'new' and 'old'. The thread regarding the 302 LS is about halfway down on the current screen when I looked just now.

KS

The new 5.0L is based on the 4.6L, it has similar dimensions to the 4.6L.

they made the ls then they made the coyote right I mean this is the ground breaker the "LS motor " like AJ Foyt your gonna cry at the track cause it aint got a big enough cooler to do all those miles ….its geometry rather than single cams and self adjusting valves its a raw deal with twin cams and big heads that goes through some R's yo don't want a 302 ... like you always had a HO that was faster than the rest ... jag was back and forth between 6 and 8 for years an experimental group your preference but what is this but a toy :)... american motor companies got wind of the new design semi v big headed geometries .....if the idea is to make more beef id go with the coyote or ls3 or something but then your back at lugging the 8 to an extent and you might miss the nimbles of 6 what it needs is a bigger radiator and electric oil pump and primers and limited slip variant and get rid of that cheesy steering wheel

Members online

No members online now.
Back